Nitrous on non built motors?

sootie

Reaction score
I was thinking I'd combine it with the air and fuel in the cylinder to produce a more powerful combustion.

brilliant, Einstein. Is the purpose to dyno the truck? drag race? sled pull? Daily drive with the nitrous to help spool? or what...

Reaction score
If your goal is 675-700 hp and you're in the financial position to build a motor, I'd probably say use your money to just step up turbo size and get a dual fueler to reach that hp goal. You can do pretty close to what you want with a 66mm turbo and dual fueler.

A simple rule to remember when considering more air vs. just adding nitrous is boost is soft and nitrous is hard. When increasing boost in the cylinder, it's more of a cushioned power adder. When introducing nitrous, the effects are more brutal.

gilgamesh

Reaction score
brilliant, Einstein. Is the purpose to dyno the truck? drag race? sled pull? Daily drive with the nitrous to help spool? or what...

it's my daily driver it will be on the dyno for sure and probably a track just for a little fun this summer. Although it will probably be more fun for some guy in the other lane who bought the right turbo and decided to build his motor for 1000HP but w/e.

sootie

Reaction score
it's my daily driver it will be on the dyno for sure and probably a track just for a little fun this summer. Although it will probably be more fun for some guy in the other lane who bought the right turbo and decided to build his motor for 1000HP but w/e.

so your turbo spools fine on the street but you need the shot of nitrous to help it spool at the track? You mentioned your turbo was a 63mm-is that a box Borg S363?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
if you do spray it, you can get away with it, just spray it later in the rpm range like 2500+. if you have stock fuel 11-14 , it's not gonna help very much, as they just dont have any fuel after the turbo is lit, maybe 20-30hp. if it's a 15-16 , it might add a little more , but again you gotta spray late. there's no rhyme or reason to motor failure in these, some have made 900 , some have touched 700 once and exploded. we always recommend a built motor for over 700 hp , and no guarantees under that either.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
6.0 on the left. 6.7 on the right. See why nitrous is not advisable?

IMG_1521.jpg

Kxc

Reaction score
Not to hi jack the thread but what rods are the built engines using ? (Looking at you here triple turbo Mike ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Not to hi jack the thread but what rods are the built engines using ? (Looking at you here triple turbo Mike ;)

R&R ( now wagler ) we got rods in stock !

Reaction score
I sprayed on my 2015. I used a progressive controller and 2 solenoids to control the flow. At 2400 rpm I had it to where it was flowing about 25% on solenoid one with a .50 pill inside, by 2800 the second solenoid would kick in and start at 25 as well, while this was going on I had the first solenoid come in at 75%, once I hit 4th and my converter locked both solenoids went to 100% duty cycle and ran it till the end of the quarter. Shift point were at 3900 to 4000rpm. One thing I will tell you is that the exhaust back pressure would go through the roof when I'd hit 4th and both Jets were at 100%. To be honest though, I ended up taking one solenoid off, and programed the one solenoid to spray 25% at 2400 and 100% by 2700 on a .75 pill and it pretty much had the same affect. I've tried bigger pills and didn't get no gains, probably from just running out of fuel.

Now the trucks down getting some more fuel and more air. The cost of nitrous these days in West Texas is rediclous.

Another edit. You have an ats 4000? Good luck with that holding power lol. Those things I've heard are junk

Last edited:

gilgamesh

Reaction score
I sprayed on my 2015. I used a progressive controller and 2 solenoids to control the flow. At 2400 rpm I had it to where it was flowing about 25% on solenoid one with a .50 pill inside, by 2800 the second solenoid would kick in and start at 25 as well, while this was going on I had the first solenoid come in at 75%, once I hit 4th and my converter locked both solenoids went to 100% duty cycle and ran it till the end of the quarter. Shift point were at 3900 to 4000rpm. One thing I will tell you is that the exhaust back pressure would go through the roof when I'd hit 4th and both Jets were at 100%. To be honest though, I ended up taking one solenoid off, and programed the one solenoid to spray 25% at 2400 and 100% by 2700 on a .75 pill and it pretty much had the same affect. I've tried bigger pills and didn't get no gains, probably from just running out of fuel.

Now the trucks down getting some more fuel and more air. The cost of nitrous these days in West Texas is rediclous.

Another edit. You have an ats 4000? Good luck with that holding power lol. Those things I've heard are junk

Thanks for the detailed info. I really appreciate it. Was your motor built? Any idea how much power you are/were making with the nitrous setup?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed info. I really appreciate it. Was your motor built? Any idea how much power you are/were making with the nitrous setup?

he didn't have enough fuel to kill the motor iirc .

gilgamesh

Reaction score
he didn't have enough fuel to kill the motor iirc .

I see, I think with the tuning I had and stock fuel I was tapped out at 440HP which was a pretty sad day for me at the dyno. I can see how a 50 or 75 shot would be pretty safe at those numbers. It also sounds like he ran the nitrous in the higher RPM range like you suggested. I can't wait to get the dual fuel setup dialed in and on the dyno at some point. Maybe I won't even want nitrous especially if it's used in the higher RPM ranges. I was more looking for something to boost me off the line in the 1500-1800 range. Too bad There isn't a way to spin that turbo with something other than exhaust.

Reaction score

Na, I sprayed on stock fuel due to stock turbo. Mike is right I really wasn't scared of blowing the motor. Now since I have more fuel and air I'm alittle worried of my rods

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I see, I think with the tuning I had and stock fuel I was tapped out at 440HP which was a pretty sad day for me at the dyno. I can see how a 50 or 75 shot would be pretty safe at those numbers. It also sounds like he ran the nitrous in the higher RPM range like you suggested. I can't wait to get the dual fuel setup dialed in and on the dyno at some point. Maybe I won't even want nitrous especially if it's used in the higher RPM ranges. I was more looking for something to boost me off the line in the 1500-1800 range. Too bad There isn't a way to spin that turbo with something other than exhaust.

once you have turbo and dual fuel .. you don't need spray on a stock motor .

macosta52213

Reaction score
I am running nitrous with 150 shot & nothing & my motor has a stock bottom end

Latest posts

Members online