Oil temps

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I understand that and the 6.4 was similar and ******** everything helped but towing loooong grades it didn't matter. Truck still heated up. Yes it had more power but the heat soak still occurred.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I understand that and the 6.4 was similar and ******** everything helped but towing loooong grades it didn't matter. Truck still heated up. Yes it had more power but the heat soak still occurred.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

You tried running a 5k with a sweat suite on and a sock in your mouth?

LOL.... only analogy I could think of... just for fun!

Reaction score
You know it's funny you mention that.

Two things I've noticed. My old 2011 fan would come on with ease especially if it was 100 degrees until I got rolling. AC on max.

This 2015 seems to NEVER come on AND the AC does not hold a candle.to my 2011 did.

Both DeIeted since new.

I do wonder what they changed in the tuning fan wise. I asked sparta-n and got no reply.

I really preferred the fan on monetarily until I got some ground speed going.

Daddy454... for your conscience. Google "6.7L powerstroke oil temperature" you will read for hours on the same concerns from MANY other drivers. My first thought would be to remove the mesh inserts between the grill bars. Just for a trial.
CAT did you ever notice if the 2011 had an air dam inside the bumper like the 2015-2016 has???

And I've gotten mine to 225 flogging my truck unloaded in the hottest day phoenix had this summer... She was getting pretty hot lol

Jomax

Reaction score
The E G R uses the same coolant the oil cooler uses.

Air Intake temp will be cooler and exhaust gases will be cooler with no D P F. Alot less strain on the primary cooling system without emissions equipment in place.

And Daddy454. Yes you might as well have a winter front on with those screens!!

I'm pretty sure the oil cooler is through the primary? I though the secondary only does the EGAR, CAC, and Trans, and maybe the fuel cooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbsimmons

Reaction score
What kind of speeds are you maintaining up those 10%+ grades?

Those are slow because of the turns. The 16% has about a 120 degree tight left turn before it so no speed to hit it with. The truck stays in 2nd all the way up but I am not too the floor no point because the top is a stop sign.
The other steep one which is about a 10% grade I am about 45 range if I hit it right, that was in the 08 450.
I have not pulled it with this truck. I go around. Time frame is about the same and the truck can stay on cruise instead of up and down and tight turns.

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
You tried running a 5k with a sweat suite on and a sock in your mouth?

LOL.... only analogy I could think of... just for fun!

Understood but your analogy actually works with me also.
Heat Soak.
My 6.4 had a stock engine but with a 59/73, intercooler, 4" back exhaust, 6.0 manifolds, etc. Now it did have more power, but even not using it all like I had too when it was stock, the truck still got warm on oil and coolant. Oil would be in the 245-250 and coolant would hit 225 range and the fan would come on can cool it back down.
I know that is a not a scientific comparison because of year and also I don't know if the fan came on more or less but with both trucks stock or not, the fan is on a lot when I go anywhere to get out of the valley. 5+% just to go anywhere. 7+% to the beach or mountains, so a truck is going to get worked a little.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the oil cooler is through the primary? I though the secondary only does the EGAR, CAC, and Trans, and maybe the fuel cooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the pictures I have seen thats my understanding and my point. Oil will not drop unless you get the cooling medium to a lower temp. Trying to cool 240 oil with 220 coolant, yea not going to exchange heat too well.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I believe the egr used both systems, primary first and then secondary to cool further.
Responding to CAT, my 2016 runs the fan when I'm just taking off or when the ac is on and I'm at very low speed. But I've never worked it enough yet to see . It comes on while towing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I believe the egr used both systems, primary first and then secondary to cool further.
Responding to CAT, my 2016 runs the fan when I'm just taking off or when the ac is on and I'm at very low speed. But I've never worked it enough yet to see . It comes on while towing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's is correct on the e-g-r.

And thanks for the feedback on the fan.

Im.beginning to think somehow after tuning it is lost fan control with SparTin

jbair14

Reaction score
I have had major concerns with the EOT since my '15 was brand new and stock. Before I was ******d I saw 252* just towing a 7k lb boat over the passes in CO. The truck would defuel around 250* and I would struggle to keep my speed up. Once ******d I saw the same EOT's and decided to go to the MDP remote oil cooler. I ran even hotter with the remote cooler and saw 284* earlier this summer pulling my toy hauler. The MDP kit was definitely not the solution for me and I'm now back to the stock cooler. With the stock cooler, same tuning, same toy hauler, same passes I'm seeing nothing above 260*

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I read ONE thread where a guy found an internal freeze plug from a oil galley I believe that worked loose and blocked the cooler.

Man I simply don't experience the super hot oil temps and I've towed gross at 26-28k several times. However. I drive in "manual mode" and will even step down to 4th gear maintaining 70mph when needed.

I'm also at or close to sea level most of the time. No more than 300ft above generally.

This oil temperature ordeal is interesting. I've been watching mine alot more now purely out of curiosity after reading so many of you guys have temp issues.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
^ I have seen this a couple of times. The oil filter adapter needs to be pulled, and you can look thru with a borescope and see the freeze plug and if it has moved or not. If this is the case, the upper oil pan needs replaced.

Completely forgot about it, as it ispretty rare, but with jbairs issues, that may indeed be the problem.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.