OIL?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
It's cheap insurance, maybe it's wasteful, maybe it's dumb. I don't drive my truck much, so it's not that bad. I plan on keeping this truck for a Long time, doing whatever I can to keep it healthy.

A long lost art. Instead of fretting and guessing and worrying. Send off an oil sample. (That's directed at anyone)

This used to be common place back in 1999-2003. But for some reason nobody talks about oil sampling anymore. Same as a health report on blood work.

BBottoms

Reaction score
So this thread and CATDiezel's comments aroused my Google-Foo at 1 am and I did quite a bit of reading. I'm now pretty convinced of dropping to a 30 weight oil, from 5w40 T6, for the typical usage my truck sees. I've narrowed it down to two oils for my next change: 10w30 Motorcraft or 5w30 Delo 400 LE Synthetic. I'd have to order the Delo but it'd be a similar cost to what I'm currently paying for T6. The MC oil i can pick up at walmart for a little cheaper but not enough to worry about. Which one would you recommend?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Delo lubricants.
Their 400 LE has a far higher boron, phosphorus and molybdenum than most other HDEO's on the market.
For the sake of simplicity, these additives serve as anti-wear agents (primarily in sliding-surface regions of the engine) as well as a mild detergent. They also increase the alkili stability of an HDEO and help retain TBN.
Just my $0.02

CATDiezel

Reaction score
A deleted truck and OR no egr will really reduce the needs for the modern day CJ-4 requirements.

The additives are GREAT as backwoodsboy mentioned for later model (2008-up) stock trucks. Ford specifically. However. If your fully deleted. The acidic buildup in the oil is far less. Therefore the need for higher additives is much less needed.

I'll revert back. For those super concerned. Take an oil sample and send it off!!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
A deleted truck and OR no egr will really reduce the needs for the modern day CJ-4 requirements.

The additives are GREAT as backwoodsboy mentioned for later model (2008-up) stock trucks. Ford specifically. However. If your fully deleted. The acidic buildup in the oil is far less. Therefore the need for higher additives is much less needed.

I'll revert back. For those super concerned. Take an oil sample and send it off!!
is the reason why the oil in my 6.7 feels so nasty and gritty due to emissions? my 7.3s are never gritty. the oil turns black but is still supper slippery to the touch and my 6.7, you can barely rub your fingers together because its so gritty feeling...

live life full throttle

HOOV3R

Reaction score
is the reason why the oil in my 6.7 feels so nasty and gritty due to emissions? my 7.3s are never gritty. the oil turns black but is still supper slippery to the touch and my 6.7, you can barely rub your fingers together because its so gritty feeling...

live life full throttle

Yep. Egr and fuel dosing cause that. CJ-4 oils are also required for DPF equipped engines due to having a lowered ash output, which reduces ash buildup in the DPF.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yep. Egr and fuel dosing cause that. CJ-4 oils are also required for DPF equipped engines due to having a lowered ash output, which reduces ash buildup in the DPF.
I need to send in a sample I guess just to get a baseline for when I end up deleting the 6.7 just to see the difference..

live life full throttle

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm running old technology oil in my 6 . 7 L. Deleted, happy, and excellent reports.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
oh I know...... only thing holding me back is my luck... my luck sucks and ill prolly be the one who has issues from it....

live life full throttle