old/low blinker fluid?

Arisley

Reaction score
Weird problem. Startred the truck this morning. 30º started fine. Went down the road, turned on the left turn signal, no blinky. Turned it off and back on, same thing. About 5 seconds later, it started working. Right one works fine. For about the next three miles or so, the left blinker would get a delay when I turned it on. After the truck warmed up it worked fine. I was thinking the blinker fluid was getting old, and with the cold was a little sluggish, after warming up it thins out a bit and works fine. Does this make sense or do you think I have another issue?

Snake

Reaction score
Have you upgraded to synthetic blinker fluid yet? That might make all the difference, especially in the colder weather.

neverkickn

Reaction score
im thinking you have other issues... the blinker fluid on these things are very rarely a problem!

Your wrong, my cousins husband has a fleet of these trucks and says it is a common problem. Just dont take it to the dealer cause they will overcharge for the fix.

There was a writeup on here somewhere on how to do itLOL

Wright337

Reaction score
WTF. Blinker fluid? You are suppost to be a smart guy. Now that being said, the only thing that I can think of would be a relay is on its last leg, and when it warms up it starts to work correctly.???

HoustonRider

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with muffler bearings a few years back. I greased em up a bit, it was fine after that.

I had a car in the 80s that was leaking blinker fluid when it got cold, once or twice. I changed it with fresh and it never happened again.

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
WTF. Blinker fluid? You are suppost to be a smart guy. Now that being said, the only thing that I can think of would be a relay is on its last leg, and when it warms up it starts to work correctly.???

omg.png

omg.png

omg.png

omg.png

omg.png

Arisley

Reaction score
Is it stiction of the blinker fluid maybe??? You should talk to Tim, maybe they're making the old blinker fluid Rev-X...LOL

Good idea, I might just replace the blinker fluid with Rev-X.

Actually, is there a right and a left blinker relay, or just one. I am actually thinking either a blinker relay or a multifunction switch.

Arisley

Reaction score

My thought exactly.

Actually, I had to replace the fan fluid in my wifes car recently (for real, no fooling), and I no longer doubt the existence of blinker fluid. You have to put exhaust fluid in new trucks (muffler bearing lubricant?). Someone, somewhere, is using a car that has hydraulic activated blinkers.

Last edited:

Wright337

Reaction score
I figured he was joking around with the blinker fluid crap, but I also thought he had a serious question in there. :shrug::morons:

wint

Reaction score
Might try changing to a lighter weight fluid. How long has it been since you changed the filter? I usually get about 5000 blinks before I have to change the filter.

Betarocker

Reaction score
The blinker relay is in the area under the radio. Not easy to find if it doesn't work. You need to go in blind and feel for it. There is a cover that needs to come off as well, and that is another level of frustration to reinstall.

Directly beside is the fluid reservoir. Topping up should be left to professionals.

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
The flicker fluid container is right next to the reserve smoke canister for the pcm and that's about an arms length away from the steam can for the radiator. Check the fluid, if its orange than its an electrical issue but if the fluid is clear its time to change. Just remember, no orange fluid no orange blinker.

Fat fingered from the phone-Corey

Last edited:

superstroked

Reaction score
Risley, the issue may be in the blinker mechanism itself. I had the same issue on my last truck when it would get colder. I took the lower column off and blew it out and usef dielectric grease and it went away.

ColtonP

Reaction score
Maybe grease the blinkers. My brakes were squealing one time and I greased them. Never squealed again. Can't hurt to try.

ColtonP

Reaction score
Risley, the issue may be in the blinker mechanism itself. I had the same issue on my last truck when it would get colder. I took the lower column off and blew it out and usef dielectric grease and it went away.

Haha. Right before I made a joke about greasing the blinkers. Guess I'm smarter than I thought.

17BLKplat

Reaction score
One time I put in Hi-Beam fluid by accident, the bottles have such small writing any more. People didn't know which way I was turning for about a month.

Arisley

Reaction score
This is getting a lot more complicated than I originally thought.

Its fun when a real issue can also be fun.

Yeah Betarocker, I was afraid that was where the blinker relays were. I have also wondered where the fliud reservoir was. Will it stain carpet, or would it be best to remove the front seats, carpet and dash to service the blinker fluid?

Just put an entry in the classifieds. If I am going to all that trouble, I wanna have a spare reservoir with me just in case mine is cracked.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online