Painted Headlights In Canada

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Anybody up here done it?? My trucks headed off to the paint shop Monday to PTM a few things and I am thinking about pulling the headlights while there. The laws up here are brutal and I don't want to be hassled by the man. Just curious if anybody is familiar with the laws up here regarding this? Have any of you American brothas had any trouble with the law in regards to painted headlights?

StockCar#10

Reaction score
As long as you dont paint the reflective lense i would say its not against the law? Might have the leave a spot open if you paint the amber reflector portion so light can shine thru...

Dzchey21

Reaction score
you can do whatever you want to the chrome part of the light, nothing they can do about that, but the reflector and lense i wouldnt touch if you are really worrked about it

Best thing to do is make it look as factory as possible and they will probably never notice

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
Painting the surrounding casing and amber reflector blue is what I was thinking. But no one up here has that look, they would def stand out.. Damn. Not sure if I should chance it or not.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Painting the surrounding casing and amber reflector blue is what I was thinking. But no one up here has that look, they would def stand out.. Damn. Not sure if I should chance it or not.

you could always do a small line of a reflector, or use a removeable covering on the reflector if they give you hell about it

alwil

Reaction score
They likely wont care about painted lights as we have HD trucks here and most cops wont know any better, putting a blue reflector on will likely get you stopped though.

Fenner408

Reaction score
Need to do something like this
20130225_211034_zps515337bf.jpg

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
these are my headlights. havent had any complaints and if you look closely i put the ford logo on the side as well

Attachments

• headlights.jpg
    headlights.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 95

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
How long does the painting process take

Its not so much the painting, its baking them to pull them apart that takes time.

these are my headlights. havent had any complaints and if you look closely i put the ford logo on the side as well

Thank you sir, looks good.

Still not sure what I am going to do thou.. Going to think on it this weekend.

brdaun

Reaction score
mine are harley headlights and i did the reflector....huge pain in the ass to separate the lens....actually ruined one lens and had to buy a headlight from my friend. in the end it looks awesome and really makes the front end work.
no trouble with them as of yet, or the black tail lights, 6-7 tint tickets though :s

Big Stroker 6.4

Reaction score
mine are harley headlights and i did the reflector....huge pain in the ass to separate the lens....actually ruined one lens and had to buy a headlight from my friend. in the end it looks awesome and really makes the front end work.
no trouble with them as of yet, or the black tail lights, 6-7 tint tickets though :s

Thanks for the info. With that said, I am gunna go ahead and paint the reflectors.. *** it. For the overall look, I think it looks best to paint the reflector too. I will post some pics next week.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I wouldn't paint the reflector.

If you brought your truck to me for inspection for safety or PMCVI I would fail it if it had painted (not orange/amber) reflectors. Not because I want to, but because something that obvious that could get you dinked by the DOT wouldn't be getting my signature and you may be hard pressed to find someone willing to sign paperwork for your truck.

Again, this depends on the province and registered gross weight.

StockCar#10

Reaction score
I wouldn't paint the reflector.

If you brought your truck to me for inspection for safety or PMCVI I would fail it if it had painted (not orange/amber) reflectors. Not because I want to, but because something that obvious that could get you dinked by the DOT wouldn't be getting my signature and you may be hard pressed to find someone willing to sign paperwork for your truck.

Again, this depends on the province and registered gross weight.

With that said pick a design you like an paint it in so you still have reflector showing

mwdguy

Reaction score
I am in a small town north of Edmonton that the cops have a hard on for anything illegal on vehicles. I had mine painted and the reflectors had 5 coats of VHT on them. They were black and the small bulb was just visible on them. I was never hassled for them at all and IMHO I think they look better with the reflector black.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Just takes one cop though.

Edmonton has different annual safety rules than Ontario also.

And you could always plate in the NWT too. Lol

Latest posts

Members online