$partan Ngauge vs P!P v8!!!

Notneb

Reaction score
So a little update: I'm a child... Couldn't resist the 600QR tune, so I've been out trying it the last few hours. I'll get started on the 450hp and up tunes tomorrow, promise!

That being said 600QR vs P!P Lv 4 v8: This is kind of an unfair comparison due to it's a revision of the 600 tune, nevertheless...

Traffic was still dying down from the 5 o'clock rush during the first part of the drive. Ambient temp was 80, allowed the truck to warm to 150 oil temp, 120 trans temp, before really laying into it.

One thing I noticed immediately is the gear holding, and how the truck responds when you let off the throttle. With P!P v8, my truck would hold 1st until above 1500rpms, yet every gear after it was just a race to get to 6th gear. With the 600QR, it holds 1-4 longer, and when you let off, there is ZERO "coast" before the engine responds to the lack of throttle, and slows down. As soon as you let up, it's instant. Reminds me more of a cabled throttle and not fly by wire.

As far as power, I refuse to speculate, as I can't tell if it's more power, or just better throttle response and shifting. I will say to me, seat of the pants, the QR tune just feels more... natural.

Let me explain it like this: With the P!P tunes, the truck is fast in lv 4, but it feels like aftermarket tuning. It feels like the truck needs to think about everything before it does what you want.

With the QR it feels like it's how a truck should drive, how a truck should be. It's not like there's a night and day difference, it's just subtle little things in the shifting, gear holding, throttle response, that makes it "feel" better than the P!P tune.

Now I know it's a bit unfair to compare them, except this is where $partan is going with the new revision. All enhanced mode tunes will have the QR tune applied to them, so unless P!P has something in the works, this will be the only comparison.

As to anyone asking how hard it was to go from SCT to $partan as far as going to stock, etc: Simple, as long as you have your stock file, that you SHOULD have saved before tuning your truck...

Step by step, here's what I did:
1. Plugged in the SCTx4, selected program vehicle, return to stock, ok.
2. While it was doing that, I went inside, downloaded the $partan tunes on my computer.
3. Remove the Mini SD card from the nGauge, installed it into the SD adapter, plugged into computer.
4. Open the SD folder, open Custom Files folder, drag dowloaded $partan tunes into folder.
5. Loaded Mini SD back into nGauge, went outside, removed SCTx4 and plugged in the nGauge.
6. Programed truck, removed nGauge, turned truck on, went and had fun.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So a little update: I'm a child... Couldn't resist the 600QR tune, so I've been out trying it the last few hours. I'll get started on the 450hp and up tunes tomorrow, promise!

That being said 600QR vs P!P Lv 4 v8: This is kind of an unfair comparison due to it's a revision of the 600 tune, nevertheless...

Traffic was still dying down from the 5 o'clock rush during the first part of the drive. Ambient temp was 80, allowed the truck to warm to 150 oil temp, 120 trans temp, before really laying into it.

One thing I noticed immediately is the gear holding, and how the truck responds when you let off the throttle. With P!P v8, my truck would hold 1st until above 1500rpms, yet every gear after it was just a race to get to 6th gear. With the 600QR, it holds 1-4 longer, and when you let off, there is ZERO "coast" before the engine responds to the lack of throttle, and slows down. As soon as you let up, it's instant. Reminds me more of a cabled throttle and not fly by wire.

As far as power, I refuse to speculate, as I can't tell if it's more power, or just better throttle response and shifting. I will say to me, seat of the pants, the QR tune just feels more... natural.

Let me explain it like this: With the P!P tunes, the truck is fast in lv 4, but it feels like aftermarket tuning. It feels like the truck needs to think about everything before it does what you want.

With the QR it feels like it's how a truck should drive, how a truck should be. It's not like there's a night and day difference, it's just subtle little things in the shifting, gear holding, throttle response, that makes it "feel" better than the P!P tune.

Now I know it's a bit unfair to compare them, except this is where $partan is going with the new revision. All enhanced mode tunes will have the QR tune applied to them, so unless P!P has something in the works, this will be the only comparison.

As to anyone asking how hard it was to go from SCT to $partan as far as going to stock, etc: Simple, as long as you have your stock file, that you SHOULD have saved before tuning your truck...

2. While it was doing that, I went inside, downloaded the $partan tunes on my computer.
3. Remove the Mini SD card from the nGauge, installed it into the SD adapter, plugged into computer.
4. Open the SD folder, open Custom Files folder, drag dowloaded $partan tunes into folder.
5. Loaded Mini SD back into nGauge, went outside, removed SCTx4 and plugged in the nGauge.

congrats buddy !!

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score

Awesome to hear. Go let it warm up to about 180 degrees and give it a couple of WOT rips at full temperature.

Notneb

Reaction score
Small update, during a trans re-learn, got a nice firm slam from 3-4. Nothing big or anything to worry about, just figured I'd throw that in there for anyone on here who actually does re-learns before doing WOT launches on new tunes... :p

drservo

Reaction score
lol And only a few days ago you said "I don't do WOT launches", Spar will do that to ya

Notneb

Reaction score
lol And only a few days ago you said "I don't do WOT launches", Spar will do that to ya

You read it wrong, I said for people who do them. A trans re-learn doesn't mean boosted/wot launch, still roll into it throttle wise.

I just don't hammer it from the launch, still no traction bars.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
you CANNOT compare those, at all .

Power wise I agree. Drivability and general street manners from the tuning...you can absolutely compare them. In fact, that's exactly what this thread is doing and after his first thoughts on it I agree with everything he posted.

Last edited:

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
I agree 100% with your comparison! I enjoyed my i d p and p I p tunes on the sct. They weren't bad at all, just didn't compare to my ngauge. The 600 qr has been my daily tune since it came out. Love it. Have towed with it, don't plan on going to a lower tune unless I really really need to. But even then, father in laws 15 dually is p i p tuned on tow tune since it had 100 miles on it. Never changed tunes never had any issues. It's a lot of personal preference honestly. I think if you want the most power, best shifting, smoothest operation on a stock 15-16 then ngauge is the best option.

Notneb

Reaction score
Was referring to post 25

Yes, runs but not launches, guess I should have specified. The truck will not be be launched on boost or WOT from a stand still unless the money fairy allows me traction bars in the next few days ;)

Clean-15

Reaction score
Yes, runs but not launches, guess I should have specified. The truck will not be be launched on boost or WOT from a stand still unless the money fairy allows me traction bars in the next few days ;)

I know in the past you've talked about getting a Pintop or Dominator. Traction bars probably won't work well with those when going fast off-road. You prolly know that though just thought I'd mention it.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Power wise I agree. Drivability and general street manners from the tuning...you can absolutely compare them. In fact, that's exactly what this thread is doing and after his first thoughts on it I agree with everything he posted.

you CANNOT compare a 14 to a 15+ . thats what YOU did , and it's misleading, not to mention , the fact you layed a blanket statement of NO SCT tuning can compete was pretty bold for someone that really hasnt compared anything at all. any other thoughts you have feel free to pm me, and i wont muck up this thread.

now back to our regularly featured program .

jwalk09

Reaction score

Would the 450 tune be the equivalent or close to the street file?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
you CANNOT compare a 14 to a 15+ . thats what YOU did , and it's misleading, not to mention , the fact you layed a blanket statement of NO SCT tuning can compete was pretty bold for someone that really hasnt compared anything at all. any other thoughts you have feel free to pm me, and i wont muck up this thread.

now back to our regularly featured program .

No Mike, let's discuss it here since the members with different years are reading this thread too.
Explain why...from a drivability standpoint, the two can't be compared. I'm all ears. Other than the pump and charger there's no major differences. X tuner writing for a 14 is going to write for a 15 also and obviously want the best drivability for both. Explain your logic that they CANNOT be compared.

As far as not comparing anything at all. I've compared 3 different SCT tuners to Spar tan. I'd say I've compared plenty...or at least enough to have a valid opinion.
We've known each other for over a decade...we should be able to have a discussion in public that absolutely pertains to the topic of the thread.

Last edited:

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
I guess one of my questions would be from the standpoint of someone who's just looking for a reliable tune for a daily driven 6.7 with some miles on it that occasionally does some moderate towing... do any of the aforementioned SCT based (P!P, I D P or G3arhead) or $partan tunes work a transmission too hard or give you cause for concern? So long as my transmission is happy and the engine is running smoothly, I'm happy. From what I can tell it seems P!P can be had for the cheapest price wise with that new PIPmaxx handheld tuner but the SCT X4's are also comparably prices in that range too

Notneb

Reaction score
Real quick, the only thing I'm still trying to locate, is a trailer and about 15k of weight, so I can review towing between the two. I sold my trailer otherwise I'd just put some cement palats on and go. I know a few people want to know about towing differences so bear with me!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
No Mike, let's discuss it here since the members with different years are reading this thread too.
Explain why...from a drivability standpoint, the two can't be compared. I'm all ears. Other than the pump and charger there's no major differences. X tuner writing for a 14 is going to write for a 15 also and obviously want the best drivability for both. Explain your logic that they CANNOT be compared.

As far as not comparing anything at all. I've compared 3 different SCT tuners to Spar tan. I'd say I've compared plenty...or at least enough to have a valid opinion.
We've known each other for over a decade...we should be able to have a discussion in public that absolutely pertains to the topic of the thread.

fuel , air, and shift strategies are completely different from 11-14 to 15+ . they run COMPLETELY different. you've tried 1 sct tuner from this model of truck who wrote his last tune in may of 2015 and left ALOT to be desired. it's leaps behind compared to whats available now . apples to apples would be trying anything that is currently relevant, rather than making a blanket statement. like i said the ******* runs GREAT and we sell alot of them and get great reviews, but we get just as much from current SCT stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.