Piston ring options to prevent blow by?

Notneb

Reaction score
Like the title says: What are our options for tighter piston rings to prevent the large amount of blow by? I re-routed the CCV to my exhaust a whole ago and the blow by seems to be getting even worse, hard to believe, I know...

This truck will no longer be towing, so I have no need for the factory loose rings, which were designed for heavy towing, hence the blow by during daily driving.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
An easier option is to just route the hose as high on the sow pipe as possible and burn off the vapors. Out of sight, out of mind. lol

Notneb

Reaction score
Well the more I think about this, the more I think about just building the motor and changing the rings while I'm at it, but that's a future thread I guess...

Reaction score
Like the title says: What are our options for tighter piston rings to prevent the large amount of blow by? I re-routed the CCV to my exhaust a whole ago and the blow by seems to be getting even worse, hard to believe, I know...

This truck will no longer be towing, so I have no need for the factory loose rings, which were designed for heavy towing, hence the blow by during daily driving.

I promise you my 2015 has a lot of blow by, I'm not scared of it at all. My 6.4 was 500% worse then this. As long as the motor doesn't use oil I don't see why you should worry

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Have you checked crank case pressure with a manometer to verify that you're equal or less than the stock setup?

The only time I ran CCV to the downpipe was on a Dodge with 5" straight exhaust, and it would blow the dipstick out of the tube on a hard run. Ran it back to atmosphere and it wouldn't blow the dipstick.

I know it's unpopular opinion, but I've seen 6.4's with 300-350k miles w/ no problem w/ the OEM setup, and they're the undisputed blow-by king.

It just seems to me that the whole CCV re-route is a solution looking for a problem on a daily/street driver :eek:

cappa

Reaction score
So how do you guys know your trucks have a ton of blow by? Are you just seeing allot of vapor coming off the ccv ******? Or is this measured some how? I opened my oil reservoir cap to see if I could feel anything through there the other day on my 15 and couldn't really feel anything, was just wondering if that's the way to check.

Notneb

Reaction score
You get vapor from your CCV hose if you installed a CCV d3lete kit. Only visible at idle.

ford rules

Reaction score
Any open CCV will have vapor coming out, that's kinda the point of it. Its a vent.

Notneb

Reaction score
An internal combustion engine cannot operate with pressure in the crank case, hence the need for the vent. It can operate with vacuum up to a certain point, and a slight vacuum is actually desired.

Wemoy1

Reaction score
Does anyone know the true reason as to why crankcase is vented into the intake on any engine? Aside from emissions since the piston ring deal was brought up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
To keep appropriate vacuum level in the crankcase. Or "modulate" cranks case pressure

Notneb

Reaction score
^^^ like he said, ensures a constant equalization of crank case pressure. And they don't have to deal with people complaining about blow by vapor. Look at any truck, tractor or heavy equipment, all of them just have a blow by hose routed to atmo.

Wemoy1

Reaction score
To keep appropriate vacuum level in the crankcase. Or "modulate" cranks case pressure
That is half of it. The draw on the engine helps keep the piston rings sealed and prevent oil leaks from developing. It is a consistent vacuum on the engine

Wemoy1

Reaction score
^^^ like he said, ensures a constant equalization of crank case pressure. And they don't have to deal with people complaining about blow by vapor. Look at any truck, tractor or heavy equipment, all of them just have a blow by hose routed to atmo.
Everything new on heavy equipment side does have a tube for the atmosphere but it goes thru a filter and also has the same deal it draws for ring seal