priming a melling m208

TyCorr

Reaction score
Priming a lpop, is done "easily". The directions.that came with mine said to immerse the gerotor in clean engine oil then install. I knew i'd be a while so I used some grease. Mine.still took some cranking to.get to pull oil.

My buddy liked my Melling and decided to.get one.for his e99, with 115k miles, much to my chagrin. He had his.brother help.him pull the frontend and install it. He cant get.his.truck started. I took my cts over and the thing builds 0 icp(duh) and as expected isnt building lube oil.

Hes got the coolant in it already and Im wondering if theres a way to prime.it other.than disassembling the whole.front.end of the truck and pulling the damper again. His damper is.rusty as hell and im sure the holes are rusty. I just see stripped out something in his.future if we have to take it apart.

I buggered my threads up getting the damper.bolt.back in.

Bottom line:Are we gonna have to pull the damper to goop up the gerotor to build oil.pressure?

David N

Reaction score
I am only aware of putting either grease or vaseline on the gears to get them to prime. It shouldn't be too bad to pull the damper and gear set. Sorry though.

02BigD

Reaction score
Looking at an oil flow diagram, it seems like you should be able to remove the oil cooler and get oil down into the pump that way?

OilSystemFlowDiagram.png

Last edited:

David N

Reaction score
That is true Dom, but I'd much rather pull the damper and gear case than the Oil Cooler. That's a job.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea, he's right but it.may be easier to just pull the front again. Coolant has to go either way. I cant work behind the radiator. If you pour oil down in the reservoir it wont reach the lpop? Remove the reservoir?

Barnhartal

Reaction score
Engine builder buddy of mine has a pressurized priming tank (picture a pressure brake bleeder if you've seen one). Hooks into an oil valley by removing a plug. Different places on different engines. Don't know if that'd prime the pump or not.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Engine builder buddy of mine has a pressurized priming tank (picture a pressure brake bleeder if you've seen one). Hooks into an oil valley by removing a plug. Different places on different engines. Don't know if that'd prime the pump or not.

I know what you speak of. They are commonplace in the sbc world. Not sure it would.work here as the hpop is a "wall" in the lpo.circuit. I havent discounted it yet but im not holding a lot of hope.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Mine just got a good coat of motor oil...

Did he by chance flip it around while messing with it?

David N

Reaction score
Mine just got a good coat of motor oil...

Did he by chance flip it around while messing with it?

Are you referring to it being installed backwards? I did that on mine at first, and thankfully caught it in time before installing the engine. With it installed incorrectly, it wouldn't allow the crank to turn over by hand. But I suppose the starter would turn it.

Incorrect installation can crack the front case, can't it?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Are you referring to it being installed backwards? I did that on mine at first, and thankfully caught it in time before installing the engine. With it installed incorrectly, it wouldn't allow the crank to turn over by hand. But I suppose the starter would turn it.

Incorrect installation can crack the front case, can't it?

More like gouge the hell out of it. You should be able to hear it too.

TyCorr

Reaction score
More like gouge the hell out of it. You should be able to hear it too.

I cant recall but does the melling even matter orientation wise? I dont.recall it being marked. If it was, Id have seen it so Im not worried. Hell, that was 4-5 months ago that I did mine.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I looked at mine, for the life of me I can't tell which side is which???????

David N

Reaction score
I looked at mine, for the life of me I can't tell which side is which???????

I can't remember, since its been a couple of months. But there are two very distinctive marks, (at least on the stock lpop) that determine which way to put them. And if you get them backwards, it will mess things up.

JD3020

Reaction score
Stock LPOP are marked/oriented, Mellings aren't.

I just covered mine in oil, actually immersed it in a tub of oil i'd been using for other assembly stuff, then i threw it on and bolted it in. Engine sat for a while after that before it ever got put in the truck. Took a lot of cranking, as expected when you've got an engine tore down, but it fired off just fine. :shrug:

TyCorr

Reaction score
So putting oil in the reservoir wont allow any to reach the lpop? Like if I pulled the reservoir cover?

Latest posts

Members online