priming a melling m208

CTFFEMT

Reaction score
after my rebuild including a melling LPOP, I got the truck to fire but I was reading 0 pressure on the dash gauge. I hooked a mechanical gauge up that read 10psi at idle (normal from what I remember). with a little throttle the pressure needle on the dash gauge would go to normal, then back to 0 at idle. I drove it a bit, dash gauge bounced like you describe, and after a couple harder runs it normalized.

So is the truck now running with a bouncing needle? If so, drive it a bit. Mine normalized that way. But my HPOP reservoir was filling. If your buddy's isn't then I'd advise against driving it.

Bouncing needle could be bad ground or air in the oil IIRC. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

kampy

Reaction score
Jack the back of the truck up just like you do when t-shooting a cracked pickup tube, that should help it draw the oil up. Why did he replace the pump in the first place??? he might have a cracked tube that sent him down the wrong path.

TyCorr

Reaction score
He's an idiot is.why he replaced it. He's got an e99 with a 17° pump that "uses so much hpo" and doesnt run that good(according to him) and gets bad mileage. I already told him that was a hpo issue, not the low pressure.

So when I told him that the melling was under $100 he bought one. I looked at it and the damper is a rusty mess. Hoping it doesnt give me too much trouble. Its probably in need of replacement.

Im noooot sure what the real issue is. The truck was.sittiing before the repair. He.claims for.two.months its been sitting. But it sat since Feb, last month they changed the oil and coolant as well as the lpop while.everything was drained. They ran out of light and never.tried to.start it.

I dont know if the hpo.rails are dry or.what.

I will try all the suggestions mentioned here recently. Thanks.guys.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Jacked the truck up about a foot off the ground in the rear and it was overfilled by exactly 3qts. My cts is.showing icp and ipr dc but the truck wont start. I did not.check.the.reservoir tonight because A-it was dark and B- i figured the truck.isnt.going to.actually start until he gets new batteries that will.fully charge. I could smell.smoke out near the tailpipe and whisps of smoke.coming out.

Im starting to wonder if the sucker wouldnt go with decent batteries. It must be getting oil now as the icp and ipr dc arent 0's now. The fugger drops to.6,7, 8 volts while Im cranking and after five+ seconds starts to.slow to the point it could stop entirely.

Dont idm's HAVE to see 12v to activate injection and start as a consequence?

So I.left with him assigned to return his.batteries tomorrow and go get a new damper iiiiif he can swing it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thank you! I dont know if Ill get any time to.mess with it tonight. He did get new batteries last night. Hopefully that will do it. I really dont.wanna pull the balancer just to pack the.gerotor.with goop.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Got a minute to work on the truck. He had the coolant drained for me. I pulled the whole front end, left the core support. Had the balancer off in twenty minutes(I have the puller) and the pump.was DRY! The gasket was DRY! I grabbed some assembly lube, poured the pump.cover, gears, and whole area with assembly lube. Re-assembled and four crank.cycles it came to life, started to romp a bit, and died. Cranked it and away she went. There was a SES light but im sure its got something to do with the truck.being molested and having no coolant in it. Id put the antifreeze in but we wont have his new damper until tomorrow morning.

He wants to pay me but im not sure whats appropriate. Ferd quoted him 700 to disassemble the setup but wanted to put a oem oil pump on. Cuz "thats the problem". I wont take his money but what is a job like that worth?

TyCorr

Reaction score
That would.work. Cheap beer is fine(miller lite) and patron. Cheap tequila is awful.

Latest posts

Members online