Project: Reliability - Its 6.0 Delete Time

Matt_P

Reaction score
Well I know I just got done doing a good amount of work to the 6.0 but it let me down again. I managed to blow headgaskets again (I used black onyxs, yes I know it was stupid:fustrate:) but anyways I pulled the cab again earlier this week and tore it down.

I took the heads to the machine shop we use here in Ohio since last time I did the work in Illinois. Now this shop actually dissasembles the heads to check them out and my luck would have it both my heads had a large number of cracks. I know they have been cracked for longer than the three weeks since last time the work was done but without taking the valves out they would be hard to catch. Unfortunately the heads are junk as some cracks go clear into water jackets.

Before I took the engine apart this time I told certain members of this forum that were in the shop which is Jason (hotrodtractor)s shop that if the heads were cracked this engine wasnt going back in the truck as I saw no justifiable point to further dump large amounts of money in a almost 200k mile 6.0

So even though this is completely unplanned Ive decided to put my 86 fummins project on hold for now and use the donor truck for that for my 03 and Ill get a 12v for the 86 later on.

So its a 01 24v Cummins using the dodge 47re and retaining the ford Tcase

I plan to have the tranny built, head studded with 60# valve springs at least before it leaves the shop, if they budget allows for more then more will be done but for now I want a reliable truck and its on a tight budget. Anyways on to pictures, the plan is to have this whole truck done in a month and back on the road. We just moved the donor truck to the shop today and pulled the drivetrain out a couple days ago and put the cab back on the truck for now.

Tomorrow the drivetrain is coming out of the donor truck and the head is coming off to go to the machine shop and I gotta get my destroked mounts on the way.

Here are some pictures:

Cracked heads all cracks are circled with sharpie:
0_10151145331915300_866290299_22639828_884475425_n.jpg

Engine Pulling:
IMG_20120113_143717.jpg

IMG_20120113_143654.jpg

The 6.0 was sending me a clear message LOL
IMG_20120113_133330.jpg

IMG_20120113_133305.jpg

Matt_P

Reaction score
Glad to be a part of it Matt!

Thanks Jason! Im glad your part of it cause I know there are plenty of things Id be lost on without your expertise!

I forgot to give a huge Thanks to you for the massive amount of help youve given me so far and for letting my pile take up space in your shop. LOL Wouldnt be able to get this done without everything youve done!

And also a big thanks to Bryan (01Dmax) for all the help he has given me so far as well as using his truck for the tow truck for everything LOL

Definitely couldnt be doing this without you two so I appreciate everything!

damn matt, sucks on the 6.o goodluck on the conversion

Thanks

juniort444e

Reaction score
I wish i could come out and help do something. Looks like fun tho. And if i recall correctly, that is the 2nd time the middle finger showed up.

01dmax

Reaction score
no problem matt im palnning to help as much as possible. I just hope everything goes smoothly. Good thing the regular cab has been feeling spunky.

Matt_P

Reaction score
Matt pm me if you want to unload those junk heads

Ill know soon if they arent spoken for so I will let you know

This is gonna be a good time. I hope the luck picks up after today.

Yeah itll be fun just as long as we dont have more bad luck like today! but hey its all good I got a badass jeep liberty to rock right now:puke:

I wish i could come out and help do something. Looks like fun tho. And if i recall correctly, that is the 2nd time the middle finger showed up.

Haha oh its shown up at least twice on this truck

Staying with the VP-44? Don't blame you for making the swap...

Yeah gonna keep the VP for now at least just for budgets sake, but if it goes out then its P-pump time

no problem matt im palnning to help as much as possible. I just hope everything goes smoothly. Good thing the regular cab has been feeling spunky.

Oh it definitely got its work out today

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Staying with the VP-44? Don't blame you for making the swap...

I'm working on Matt a little bit to squeeze a little extra out of the budget to do a p-pump conversion.... I think I'll have him convinced after I talking with him tomorrow. :D

Matt_P

Reaction score
I'm working on Matt a little bit to squeeze a little extra out of the budget to do a p-pump conversion.... I think I'll have him convinced after I talking with him tomorrow. :D

Well I take that back on the VP staying, P pump conversion may be coming sooner than I thought LOL

Matt_P

Reaction score
Good to hear Jason talked sense into you LOL

PCS/4r100 behind your CumminGs BTW :D

Yeah when I heard what he can get all the P pump parts for I couldnt pass it up!

And that would be an ideal tranny setup, unfortunately its a little out of my price range right now lol

Awesome project...can't wait to see progress and more pics!

Thanks! Should have some more pictures later today

Dang that sucks, should be a fun reliable truck when you get done

Thats what Im hoping for!

What are you gonna do with your 185cc's?

Im selling them but they may already be spoken for.

Did the 6.0 have studs and egr delet? If so do you want to sell them?

Yes it did but that stuff is spoken for already

Latest posts

Members online