ptm picture requests and questions

sstrobl

Reaction score
i have an all back 11 lariat with chrome bumpers and really want to lose some of the chrome. i dont mind the bumpers but with the grill and surround the whole front end is chrome. im debating a few options,

just ptm the grill surround and leave the bars and bumpers chrome
or
ptm bumpers and leave grill and surround chrome
or
ptm surround and bumpers with chrome bars

im leaning towards the first option because its the cheapest and i think it might break up the front end enough for me. i saw those surrounds are available from a dealership on this site and they are plastic so i could just have it painted. if i decided to do the bumpers how do you paint them? do you have to blast off the chrome, prep, and then paint? seems like an expensive process.

if you have pics of your truck with ptm parts on the front post them up, would really help me decide, even if they arnt black

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Most aren't blasting all the chrome they are just scaring the chrome up and using like a self etching primer and some wet sand that before actually shooting color. I know several who have gone the prepping route but the rock chips are redicilous. When I get ready to paint my bumpers I'll just go ahead and bust the dollar for the ptm bumpers as far as the grille go with what you like. I personally like the clean look of everything chrome matched but that's just me. Make the truck yours first and foremost

Arconalloy

Reaction score
This is along my speed here I like it clean and simple but my bumpers will match my tan two tone bottom. I already have my emblems color matched to both colors on my truck sitting at the house and I'll eventually break my fender badges down and shoot those as well

Attachments

• 267AB615-EEBD-4134-9613-CD6616B0D3E3-5072-0000054188933C77_zps3cf337b9.jpg
    267AB615-EEBD-4134-9613-CD6616B0D3E3-5072-0000054188933C77_zps3cf337b9.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 131

jwalk09

Reaction score
Had my bumpers sandblasted and professionally prepped and painted. Bought a primed grille shell and just had the inner pieces prepped before painting. There's a lot of threads on ptm also. Shouldn't be hard to find other pics
370329aeef61275207cf2d07520b3580.jpg

07f34ecd749957d5586581fa5fb3df69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwalk09

Reaction score
1k for bumpers, grille, mirror caps, front and side emblems

jwalk09

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the price of just the bumpers blasted and painted. Sandblasting was only like 75-100 for the bumpers though

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Sounds like the way to go then for sure that's not a bad price. I do mostly highway driving how's the front bumper holding up since you had it blasted instead of just prepped?

Swampfox

Reaction score
For those of you that have purchased the grille surround and had it painted, how are you attaching the inner part back to the PTM grille surround?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
My last truck had ptm everything and after a few years the rock chips were really bad.

I think with a black truck you should take advantage of how good it looks with chrome, try some ptm accents first before taking the dive, stripping the bumpers and having them painted.

Just my .02

chrisrennison21

Reaction score
If you're worried about chips. You could have the bumpers powder coated black and then painted . the powder coat will be great for a primer. Chips may hold up better and not be as noticeable with black powder coat behind it. Got my bumpers sandblasted and powder coated for 300. Just an idea

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TripleE44

Reaction score
I wouldn't paint over chrome. I know "prep is key" and all that stuff everyone says, but I bought some platinum bumpers and had them painted to match my truck and they've held up incredibly well. I've had them for 2 years and I've got 2 chips on them.

If I were you, having a black truck, I'd hunt down some bumpers off of a black platinum if you're really wanting to paint all the stuff.

I think just painting the grille shell would make a big difference. Just look at the monotone King ranches. It's a clean look for sure, and less paint to chip.

BK39

Reaction score
For those of you that have purchased the grille surround and had it painted, how are you attaching the inner part back to the PTM grille surround?

They come apart, when you take your grill out, you'll see on the back of it how it disassembles. Remove the chrome surround, replace with with PTM, reinstall. It's easy.

Arconalloy

Reaction score
I think I saw a black grille surround on here for sale in the classified section. I agree with the whole don't paint over chrome input I agree it wont hold up, I originally had called sunrise and got a quote on a front and rear pain't able bumpers and was going to probably do that but if he had his blasted and painted and they are holding up well for 1k then Im probably going to look into going down that road myself because that's a good price Imo

Swampfox

Reaction score
They come apart, when you take your grill out, you'll see on the back of it how it disassembles. Remove the chrome surround, replace with with PTM, reinstall. It's easy.

Good deal. I was doing some reading on people that have changed it and thought I saw where they were having to drill out the plastic rivets and remount using something else. Sounds a lot easier than they made it out to be. :toast:

jwalk09

Reaction score
Good deal. I was doing some reading on people that have changed it and thought I saw where they were having to drill out the plastic rivets and remount using something else. Sounds a lot easier than they made it out to be. :toast:

U do have to replace the plastic rivets. Drill out old ones and just put some back in

Latest posts

Members online