Question for non-VGT users

xtremexj

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you still have some turbo whistle with your turbos? The reason I ask is that I don't really want to loose all the sound if I switch. I used to have a 1st gen Cummins that I had done an HTT Stg IV compressor wheel/housing upgrade on it which had a sweet compressor whistle that still sounded through the exhaust. My 03 whistle is starting to get a bit old, but still wouldn't seem the same without some whistle. I LOVE the sound of the Silver Bullets on the Dodges so was hoping that some of these ported shrouded housings might still produce similar results on the 6.0L. Post your results and video clips if you have them. Thanks. :D

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Mines gone, hated the whistle, get a bw turbo with a 71mm turnine wheel and it will whistle

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
i went from a big VGT (and arguably the loudest) to compound non vgt's. don't miss that ear splitting whistle at all. now the only thing I can hear is an a$$load of air being sucked into an 80mm turbo and I like it......a lot.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Very interesting thread trying to decided weather I want Vgt or not.... I preffer lots of whistle but I'm doing a mild build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
It's a pretty laggy, especially being a 66mm comp wheel. I need to try some different tunes though, I've got a bunch of fuel pulled out of the bottom end. Aren't you running yours in a compound setup?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i love my 73 wheel on the 66 with divided pipes, tuning does wonders :D

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
It's a pretty laggy, especially being a 66mm comp wheel. I need to try some different tunes though, I've got a bunch of fuel pulled out of the bottom end. Aren't you running yours in a compound setup?

Yeah, 66 with a 83 in front. I just haven't had the chance to mess with it lately. I gated around the .70 since bp was shooting to 90psi instantly. Divided uppipes with a .91 will be next on the list.

Edit: Cooper, how's backpressure with the pulled fuel? Pizza pig, what turbine housing are you running?

Last edited:

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I've thought about compounding with my 66 but I just think its too slow spooling for what I want. I'm probably going to go with a 62/s475 combo and save the 66 for another project. What sticks are you running?

I haven't monitored bp at all since I've had it on, I need to order another gauge so I have a better idea of what's going on with it.

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Yeah good call. It seems like the days are getting shorter to put time aside for projects. I said f it and went a little bigger this go around to get a decent number. I have a ii internally gated 62 if you're ever interested. I'm running 225s.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I'm also running 225s, can you keep that 83 lit?
I might be interested in that 62 in the future, I've gotta get some stuff off my plate first lol.
Are you gonna have your truck at ennis?

Last edited:

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I'm also running 225s, can you keep that 83 lit?
I might be interested in that 62 in the future, I've gotta get some stuff off plate first lol.
Are you gonna have your truck at ennis?

I could keep mine going no problem when i had it with a 66/74/.70 just a tad laggy. trying it with a special 66/73/.91 T4 with my next set up