Radically Redesigned Wicked Wheel® makes 43 PSI on my STOCK turbo!

TyCorr

Reaction score
According to Bobs Facebook page it'll be in the $150 range. A great price for a product that works! Awesome job on the testing. When we get an excursion, I believe this is the route we'll go as opposed to a 38r.

sent from the sea

Even if they make a similar wheel for the 38r? Then again that charger is pretty solid in stock form, the 38r.

This is BA tho!

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
How long is the turbo gonna last at that psi? Or you thinking it may be better being its closer to 1:1

Last edited:

Power Hungry

Reaction score
The one thing I can't actually measure (at the moment) is RPM of the turbine. However, I'm ordering an optical pickup so that I can add turbine speed to the datalogging results. Given that the exhaust side of things hasn't changed (from both a configuration and a pressure standpoint) I'm going to have to proceed with the basic premise that the turbo isn't working any harder and therefore shouldn't suffer any significant failure.

Historically, when we've talked about stock turbos failing at high boost levels, this was because the only way to achieve higher boost on a stock turbo was to push more fuel, which created more backpressure, which drove the turbine faster and created more boost. It's the overdriving of the turbine which ultimately ends up with a turbo failure. Since we're making more boost due to a redesign of the compressor wheel, not by overdriving the turbine, the turbo isn't really working any harder. The compressor is just more efficient, as indicated by the 1.2:1 backpressure/boost ratio.

From a logical standpoint, I have no concerns for turbo reliability.

neverkickn

Reaction score
The one thing I can't actually measure (at the moment) is RPM of the turbine. However, I'm ordering an optical pickup so that I can add turbine speed to the datalogging results. Given that the exhaust side of things hasn't changed (from both a configuration and a pressure standpoint) I'm going to have to proceed with the basic premise that the turbo isn't working any harder and therefore shouldn't suffer any significant failure.

Historically, when we've talked about stock turbos failing at high boost levels, this was because the only way to achieve higher boost on a stock turbo was to push more fuel, which created more backpressure, which drove the turbine faster and created more boost. It's the overdriving of the turbine which ultimately ends up with a turbo failure. Since we're making more boost due to a redesign of the compressor wheel, not by overdriving the turbine, the turbo isn't really working any harder. The compressor is just more efficient, as indicated by the 1.2:1 backpressure/boost ratio.From a logical standpoint, I have no concerns for turbo reliability.

So the boost and backpressure numbers that you listed where both absolute? I assumed that the boost numbers where gauge pressure.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Backpressure staying roughly the same is incredible for the boost difference! I agree with what you said, shows how much more effective the compressor is at flowing air vs the stocker, otherwise backpressure would be much higher.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Very interesting. (Joe), CSIPSD had a thread on this wheel also. Less backpressure and more boost with longer turbo life is a win-win.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
So the boost and backpressure numbers that you listed where both absolute? I assumed that the boost numbers where gauge pressure.

Holy crap... That's what I get for going over the datalogs at midnight. My numbers are off. The Boost was GAUGE pressure (as indicated by the video of the boost gauge), but the EBP numbers I was looking were ABSOLUTE values. Compensating for a BARO offset of 14.3225 PSI, the backpressure numbers were actually around 37-38 PSI stock and 38-39 PSI with the new wheel. This means the corrected ratios were 1.226:1 for the stock wheel and 0.907:1 for the new wheel.

I apologize for my miscalculations. Not to often I make such a blatant oversight. :morons: However, it still does not detract from the fact that the new wheel is extremely efficient.

Here is a graph of the (corrected... :D) drive pressure vs boost. Unfortunately, since this was pulling directly from the MAP sensor for boost, it can only read to around 22-23 PSI which makes it rather useless for reference. I'm trying to fit a 100 PSI pressure sensor to the truck and correct the MAP table so that the datalogs will be more useful. At that time, I'll also be logging MAT sensor output to get a clearer idea of what the inlet temps are.

(Click on image to enlarge)
ebp_vs_boost_sm.jpg

Once I get the new sensor installed, more data will be forthcoming. :D

dietoremain

Reaction score
Subd, Just wondering but how would this run on a "stock" truck with just an intake and exhaust? .

With or without tunes? Honestly if its not a tuned truck I dont see a reason.. But a stock style truck with supporting mods and tunes will benefit.. I am going to speak with Bob tomorrow on the phone and get set up for testing I am very confident I will have results that will be noticeably improved.. But its all down to the real world driving.. Its gonna be a few weeks but I'm very excited this is a whole nother world for making a GTP38 turbo worth more than a paper weight..

BIGISLAND7.3

Reaction score
With a tuned truck , Will there be a noticeable difference? . Would the truck benefit if its a ZF6 compared to an auto ? .

Latest posts

Members online