rebuilding a 7.3

littleredstroker

Reaction score
This is going to be kind of a budget build. im not looking to spend 5k but if it needs to be done I will do it.

the motor Im looking at is a obs 97-98 cant remember but it has the van turbo and the round exhaust flange.. dont know if that means much. its been sitting in the back by the barn for a while and I was going to look for a forged rod SD motor but I think this will work. It has somewhere around 150k on it and was in a roll over. has turbo and everything covered. So my question is this

I am going to pull the heads and see how the cylinders look. what should I look for as a idea if any machine work needs to be done?

What about the crank, should it need to be machined as well? what to look for as far as that goes.

gonna stick with forged rods Ive decided dont want more than 550-575hp
will probably replace oil cooler while its out

anything else to think about or look for?

caladash

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat you are in. My 2 cents.....I'd rebuild it. The only thing that has me worried is finding the stock specs for everything. A buddy of mine is giving me his ISIS (international service manual) DVD that hopefully has the info I will need and can give to the machinist. The motor I have was a running motor but I have no idea what kind of oil was used. What may have crawled into the thing, are the rods straight, cam bearings trashed etc etc. It would suck to put a "good" motor and have something bad happen. I've seen riff raffs kit but have also seen that a company the rhymes with shmypermax has kits and rebuild components as well. Once it's rebuilt, I will have the feeling of accomplishment and can say I built my motor should someone ask. Also finding a good machine shop is key. I finally found a shop today that has experience with Duramaxes and powerstrokes.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
check compression and go from there. if its good swap all the sd parts over to it and roll on.... if need be do the riffraff kit... it comes with a ton of things... new oil cooler, new melling oil pump, all bearings and seals and orings.. i got his kit to rebuild my dually..

littleredstroker

Reaction score
check compression and go from there. if its good swap all the sd parts over to it and roll on.... if need be do the riffraff kit... it comes with a ton of things... new oil cooler, new melling oil pump, all bearings and seals and orings.. i got his kit to rebuild my dually..

Doesn't it have to be running or at least cranking to check compression?

sent while trying not to JJ My rods!!!!!!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
cranking yes... don't know if you can check it by turning the motor over with a breaker bar and socket or not.. is it not in cranking condition?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
well i guess you could put it in your truck then check it that way? could possibly save you a few grand if compression is in check... then all you would have to do is swap your superduty parts over to it and drive it..

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Is everything the same for obs / sd? I guess I'm wondering what to do about the fuel pump.. my hpop and everything will be swapped. And ill have a TN turbo here too

PSDEng

Reaction score
cranking yes... don't know if you can check it by turning the motor over with a breaker bar and socket or not.. is it not in cranking condition?

That's not going to get you anywhere near an accurate compression number unfortunatley. The motor has to be warm to get a reliable result, which means setting it up on a stand and getting fuel to it....or putting it in a truck.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
best way is going to he in the truck man... you need to pull the old one anyway.. be good practice if you do need to pull it back out.. if it doesnt have compression problems, its already in there and now all you have to do is swap superduty parts over to it..

live life full throttle

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Like I said....you need a warm motor to get compression numbers that mean anything.

Well then I will just tear it down and start over what's the most these motors can be punched out if it needs, I see rifraffs kit gives options for .010-.020-.030 but I see a lot of talk about sleeves

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well then I will just tear it down and start over what's the most these motors can be punched out if it needs, I see rifraffs kit gives options for .010-.020-.030 but I see a lot of talk about sleeves

im having a. 030 over kit put in mine..

why tear into it? it could be a perfectly good motor and no need for a rebuild...

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
its your money dude.. do what ya want.. you asked our opinion we gave it... if the compression is good then i wouldn't hesitate for a sec to leave the heads attached and swap parts over and save a grand or so since you also said its a budget build. then take your old motor and slowly put the cost of what you saved in it and build it up..

live life full throttle

Strokin'99

Reaction score
Shoot on gassers we always used to just leave it strapped to the crate slap a starter on it and throw 12v at it lol

I'm with the other guys tho, put it in the truck and find out. Only good way to know.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.