Reliable rig?

Notneb

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of using a 6.4 F250 RCLB for a starting point for an off-road camper, in the Turtle Expedition style. I know 7.3's and 6.7's but nothing about 6.4's in terms of off-road reliability, weak points, common failures.

The other option is a 5.9 Cummins but then I have to use a Dodge platform and I've no faith in the frame or body of a dodge. Not bashing them, just a fact that the Superduty frame is more stout.

Now this rig is going to be traveling mostly in South America, with elevations as high as 20k. I will have to carry all my own spare parts, hence the reason for this thread. Looking for ANYTHING anyone can think of that would see failure in this platform based on rough roads and moderate off-road action with an extra 4K lbs payload.

Thanks in advance guys!

Notneb

Reaction score
Heavier truck...f450...

Even if I'm not exceeding 4K overall payload? The camper part will be built onto the frame and all custom built. I'm not talking a huge 2 foot above the cab set up. Just something small and secure. I hate the whole over the top luxury camper bull crap that seems to be the only option these days.

Atsah

Reaction score
6.4 for off road? it wouldn't be my choice, better off with a 5.9 or 7.3 IMO

Notneb

Reaction score
6.4 for off road? it wouldn't be my choice, better off with a 5.9 or 7.3 IMO

Not off-road in the rock crawling or mudding, more in the sense of the roads in Argentina are rough, wash board and almost no maintainance.

JMart

Reaction score
Something you could find parts for if you had to would be my 1st choice. Second would be anything other than a 6.4.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
7.3 with a couple of spare parts and a basic socket set will 99% of the time get you back to town.

Only time I have not been able to get myself back up and running was when my trans quit. I was down 2 cylinders in my work truck in a snow storm due to electrical issues and still made it 12 hrs till the storm was over and I could fix it.

Notneb

Reaction score
Something you could find parts for if you had to would be my 1st choice. Second would be anything other than a 6.4.

I wish I could justify the cost of a turn key Fummins... I just don't believe a 7.3 will keep enough power at 20k feet, and I don't trust the body/frame of a Dodge in any of the 5.9 years. As far as parts, unless I'm driving anything Toyota, I'm S.O.L. due to 60% import tax on all parts. I'll have to rely on a portable welder, common parts being carried along with me, and luck, lol.

Notneb

Reaction score
7.3 with a couple of spare parts and a basic socket set will 99% of the time get you back to town.

Only time I have not been able to get myself back up and running was when my trans quit. I was down 2 cylinders in my work truck in a snow storm due to electrical issues and still made it 12 hrs till the storm was over and I could fix it.

How much elevation have you seen in a 7.3? I'm not wanting to go too overboard on performance for obvious reliability concerns, yet I don't want a dog at 20k feet.

Atsah

Reaction score
Whatever you buy is going to have a rough life, I would go for a reliable drive train and as heavy duty as possible.. 7.3 F-450 would be my choice..

sootie

Reaction score
Stay far far away from a six four in that environment. I would take an old second gen Dodge with a 12v and manual transmission.

Oh and make sure you take a gun and a bunch of ammo. You have no idea how Savage like people are over there...

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I have never been over 12k with one. At 12 k you could tell there was less power but I wouldn't say it was a dog. I was pulling a 40' camper trailer.

I think if you gear the axles a little lower it will make up for the loss of power at 20k. I doubt you will be flying at 55mph+ when at that elevation but I may be wrong.

A small set of injectors and a 38r should give you about 350-400. That is what I will be running in my Ex. 160/80 inj and a 38r. Planning a trans rebuild with billet converter and a VB and should be good to go.

Go with a hydra chip and a good tuner that will email you tunes and you could "live" tune when down there as long as you have data service.

B.Warning

Reaction score
Take it for what it's worth...

I've owned lots of dodge work trucks. The drive train is more than capable for what your wanting. The axles in the 2nd gens are Dana 60, 70, 80. The frames aren't has "beefy" looking as a ford but are no slouch either. The 5.9 is a stupid simple engine "I've had many running on the floor with a battery and gas can". Also with a 5.9, that engine is used in power plants all over the country. You'd have a much higher chance of finding parts vs any other engine platform from what your going to do. Alternator takes a dump...oh well. Keep running or roll start it. Try that with a ford engine.

You're obvisouly going to get a biased opinion here which is normal. I like my ford trucks but you simply can not beat the simplicity of a 12v dodge. Those trucks are tough. Rebuild the front end, steering brace, lift pump, good clutch and throw out bearing, 5th gear fix, replace and rtv the tappet cover gasket (even if it's not leaking), and start your build of the camper.

I've beat the hell out of those trucks and for your intended purpose...there's no way I'd choose a ford. I've been left stranded and waiting on a trailer here in the rural country. Let alone on the side of a goat mountain in a 3rd world country.

Rubenk

Reaction score
If I was going on an expedition, a modern electronic diesel would be at the bottom of the list for powerplant choices.

Stick with an old mechanical diesel. Just get a 70's Deuce with a multifuel and call it good lol

Notneb

Reaction score
Take it for what it's worth...

I've owned lots of dodge work trucks. The drive train is more than capable for what your wanting. The axles in the 2nd gens are Dana 60, 70, 80. The frames aren't has "beefy" looking as a ford but are no slouch either. The 5.9 is a stupid simple engine "I've had many running on the floor with a battery and gas can". Also with a 5.9, that engine is used in power plants all over the country. You'd have a much higher chance of finding parts vs any other engine platform from what your going to do. Alternator takes a dump...oh well. Keep running or roll start it. Try that with a ford engine.

You're obvisouly going to get a biased opinion here which is normal. I like my ford trucks but you simply can not beat the simplicity of a 12v dodge. Those trucks are tough. Rebuild the front end, steering brace, lift pump, good clutch and throw out bearing, 5th gear fix, replace and rtv the tappet cover gasket (even if it's not leaking), and start your build of the camper.

I've beat the hell out of those trucks and for your intended purpose...there's no way I'd choose a ford. I've been left stranded and waiting on a trailer here in the rural country. Let alone on the side of a goat mountain in a 3rd world country.

Oh I'm not biased at all. I love Dodges and Fords. I'm in NO way a brand loyalist, hell I own a '08 2500 Cummins. This has nothing to do with that, it's more: what can I rely on in a 3rd world country vs what can I rely on in the US?

A 12v Cummins in a newer ford body is my dream truck, but cost-wise ill be hard pressed to do that AND fab up a compact camper under the budget I've set.

Notneb

Reaction score
If I was going on an expedition, a modern electronic diesel would be at the bottom of the list for powerplant choices.

Stick with an old mechanical diesel. Just get a 70's Deuce with a multifuel and call it good lol

An old deuce would cost me WAY too much to ship and then keep fueled for the trip lol. Trust me I thought about it, an old multi-fuel with working mixing valve would almost be worth it in peace of mind! If I could figure out a way to ship it without the cab attached it still might be the cheaper route, wouldn't have to worry about weight!

Rubenk

Reaction score
You don't even need the working fuel adjuster, it's actually absent on alot of them(mine was). Still runs any fuel just fine. I wouldn't think fuel mixture leave would be the killer though. Mine got 10-11 mpg with mostly free fuel(used oil).

What about a diesel land cruiser?

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I agree with Morgan. Mechanical Cummins with a manual transmission would be the ticket. Address all known failure points, maintenance, etc. and give her hell. I would get it as mechanical as possible to minimize failure potential. Things like manual transfer case and hubs as opposed to electric/vacuum.

Latest posts

Members online