Rest in piece 4r100

Jake

Reaction score
Well my 4r100 puked last night. 240k miles, over drive light flashing. I'll pull the codes today, it got us home slipping a little bit. Are the Ford HD reman still a good solution? I'm not going to buy a BTS or JW.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Depends on what you plan to do and what mods you have.

I am looking into one for both my 350 and my Ex. My cost is right around 3k for the HD with TC. 3 year/unlimited warranty

Actually looking at the Diesel site trans as well. Cost is about the same, but the TC is billet. Just have not heard a lot of personal experiences with using one, and I have not been able to find any info on the warranty.

Jake

Reaction score
Its just a tow pig, 160cc injectors tuned to tow that is all. I just need to get the 16k pig up and down the road. Luckily I was just towing the boat home last night.

I was looking at the Diesel Site one this morning. If everything is what they say it is, I would think it would be a good one to go with.

I see Sunrise has the HD for $2600 and I think freight will have to be added to that. Not sure if that includes the converter also. The trans does ok when it is cool, just gets hot and starts getting grumpy. I am going to call DS this morning and see what they have to say on it.

Jake

Reaction score
All the things I have gotten from them have been good. I am just on the fence whether the upgrades on it are worth the extra $. I want to replace the original HPOP with one of there pumps also. Although if the reman Ford last as long as the original I will make it way longer than I will still own the truck. It is on the 5 year replacement plan, its only getting driven about 5-10k a year right now. All towing miles

Jennifer@Dieselsite

Reaction score
2 year unlimited mile warranty on the Legendary 4R100 or E4OD Transmission but theres some additional option once its out of warranty. I am terribly unfamiliar with it but you can call and ask for Dan if you like to discuss what those options were. Dans probably the most knowledgeable on the subject besides Bob, who is unavailable today because he has to build transmissions. :p

patricku47

Reaction score
What part of Texas are you in? I have a local guy to me that has built a few for me and several buddies that have done great! His pricing is fantastic, and he has a pretty solid warranty too. He is in the Clear Lake area.

Jake

Reaction score
I am in the big town of Tolar.... Between Stephenville and Granbury.

mandkole

Reaction score
yeah, Id be looking for a good local guy. For a DD, you need service not mail order headaches.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
2 year unlimited mile warranty on the Legendary 4R100 or E4OD Transmission but theres some additional option once its out of warranty. I am terribly unfamiliar with it but you can call and ask for Dan if you like to discuss what those options were. Dans probably the most knowledgeable on the subject besides Bob, who is unavailable today because he has to build transmissions. :p

Any idea of the HP/TQ rating on them?

Jake

Reaction score
Looks like it is the torque converter open and over heat codes. Sounds like the converter has given it up.

Jake

Reaction score
Codes are

P0741. Torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off

P1783 transmission over temp

bluedge8

Reaction score
I just looked at the DS trans, looks very well thought out, I wonder if he is going to limit the max HP for his warranty?

Jake

Reaction score
I will be looking into it tomorrow. Is the solenoid check in the 4r100 book
?

Fluid got hot but does not look or smell real bad, but needs to be changed

I'll check it out with AE tomorrow also

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
Not at all... again, I'm not familiar with the transmissions at all save the basic warranty info, cost, and core info (the stuff I deal with). A call to one of the techs will be the best way to figure that out.

Jennifer, can you do all of us a favor, and y'all too. I know Bob is super busy, can you please ask him to tear himself away for a bit and tell us about your transmission.

Like I say, I need a trans, but can't afford one right now. If I could afford a good trans, it would be yours. Simply because I know that y'all will not put something out there that is not up to snuff.

However, lot's of people do not have the same blind faith that I do and want to hear something. Bob would be awesome to explain all of this stuff.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Jennifer, can you do all of us a favor, and y'all too. I know Bob is super busy, can you please ask him to tear himself away for a bit and tell us about your transmission.

Like I say, I need a trans, but can't afford one right now. If I could afford a good trans, it would be yours. Simply because I know that y'all will not put something out there that is not up to snuff.

However, lot's of people do not have the same blind faith that I do and want to hear something. Bob would be awesome to explain all of this stuff.

On a side note, have you thought about a junk yard tranny until you can buy what you want?

Jennifer@Dieselsite

Reaction score

This is a big thing you ask of me. Tearing Bob away from his projects?

Not everyone is brave enough to enter the lion's den...

nhShT.png

I'll see what I can do. ;)

EDIT - You think you guys could get me an idea of what specific questions or a general idea of what you'd like to get answered from him? I don't think it'll be a problem to get him to do a good informative post but I know the subject will come up a lot in the future so if we can knock a lot of it out now that would save his time in the future AND I can reference this thread for others that pop up! It's true that he just doesn't come to the forums anymore due to lack of time but this way will help everyone out in one go!

EDIT 2 - Also, here's a fun article if anyone has time to read until I can get Bob out here. http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tr...ransmission-upgrade-and-install-shift-change/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online