Secondary cooling system puking from overflow hose

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Mike probably has a remote mounted cooler

mike does. it's also a curse.. dont go wot for a long stretch within a couple minutes of fire up , or you waste a perfectly good block .

Jomax

Reaction score
Do you think installing a 10psi cap would help?(if they even make it)

5psi seems pretty low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Oil is cooled by the primary cooling system.

If I understand correctly half of the secondary radiator is thermostatically controlled for the trans cooler and egr cooler, where the other half is for the cac and fuel cooler. Which would make sense, they wouldn't want to be on the same circuit as the 200+ degree transmission fluid and hot egr. After the coolant leaves the hot cac and hot trans fluid cooler, they all converge back in the secondary degas bottle so it's not surprising these things are puking.

If you think about the secondary heat exchanger in halves, that means there isn't that much cooling surface dedicated to keeping the iat's at ambient. Especially when the truck is moving twice the air or making twice the boost the system was designed to see.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Oil is cooled by the primary cooling system.

If I understand correctly half of the secondary radiator is thermostatically controlled for the trans cooler and egr cooler, where the other half is for the cac and fuel cooler. Which would make sense, they wouldn't want to be on the same circuit as the 200+ degree transmission fluid and hot egr. After the coolant leaves the hot cac and hot trans fluid cooler, they all converge back in the secondary degas bottle so it's not surprising these things are puking.

If you think about the secondary heat exchanger in halves, that means there isn't that much cooling surface dedicated to keeping the iat's at ambient. Especially when the truck is moving twice the air or making twice the boost the system was designed to see.

Surprised the aftermarket hasn't designed something to fix this.

Seems more people have puking problems then I thought.

FATHERFORD

Reaction score
Has anyone heard more about the Mishimoto heat exchanger upgrade?

046-copy.jpg

secondarydesign.png

Last edited:

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Don't know if that would truly fix the issue.

For a $1000+ dollar heat exchanger mishimoto needs to prove it'll reduce temps under extreme circumstances. I have faith it'll work, just needs to be proven.

As far as the miracle coolant, I'm skeptical but I like the idea of their NPG product in case my secondary system decides to puke at the track.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Anyone think of using this? Being waterless, boiling over would pretty much stop.

http://www.evanscoolant.com/products/heavy-duty-coolant/

Kind of irrelevant but I used that in my Rzr. Being a mud guy, I was having issues overheating. It did help a fair bit but just like anything else, It eventually does heat soak and the coolant didn't boil but my machine still went into limp mode from getting up to 240+ coolant temps.

Jomax

Reaction score
Kind of irrelevant but I used that in my Rzr. Being a mud guy, I was having issues overheating. It did help a fair bit but just like anything else, It eventually does heat soak and the coolant didn't boil but my machine still went into limp mode from getting up to 240+ coolant temps.

Then technically it should work? For us towing up a hill heavy, the truck then has a chance to cool down fairly fast after the climb.

I haven't ran my truck down be track since I replaced my CAC. I want to run it to see if it truly fixed it. If not, I'll be giving this coolant a try.

Jomax

Reaction score
For a $1000+ dollar heat exchanger mishimoto needs to prove it'll reduce temps under extreme circumstances. I have faith it'll work, just needs to be proven.

As far as the miracle coolant, I'm skeptical but I like the idea of their NPG product in case my secondary system decides to puke at the track.

But what about the cracking issues?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
But what about the cracking issues?

For every guy that cracked one I know 10 that are happy.

There is no 100% radiator solution. On the 6.4's oem leaked, mishi leaked, alradco leaked.. The 6.7 is turning out to be a similar situation. The way the secondary cooler is mounted I doubt it'll have issues like that.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Then technically it should work? For us towing up a hill heavy, the truck then has a chance to cool down fairly fast after the climb.

I haven't ran my truck down be track since I replaced my CAC. I want to run it to see if it truly fixed it. If not, I'll be giving this coolant a try.

It will most definitely help with having the coolant not boil I would think. Don't believe it will lower temperatures however...

Jomax

Reaction score
All you can do is get iat's to ambient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The difference for me isn't much. Ambient on the hwy to IAT is roughly 2-3 degrees. My IAT to CACT is about 15 degrees higher going into the motor.

Jomax

Reaction score
So, ran the truck hard this weekend and got the secondary to puke AGAIN. I think I got the CAC to leak again. I guess the factory CAC can't take sustained high psi (high 30s)

OR my thermostats aren't working? I'm thinking the CAC is leaking again though, it stopped puking towing after I installed the new CAC. Will keep you guys posted.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Are you monitoring iat? I'm curious where they are at while the puking is happening

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
My secondary system puked for the 1st time last night after my pull. Wasn't very much but I'm not too worried about it as the day before I swapped to a formed No Limit hose so I probably got air in the system and it boiled out. I have a No Limit IC but like I said not too worried about it as my IAT are always in check. Usually run about the same as whatever the ambient air temp is.

What's the best way to make sure there is no air in the system? Or will it work its way out?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.