Shocks for HEAVY towing

gottagofast

Reaction score
When pulling my fifth wheel I have 3-4k pin weight close to 1k in the toolbox and close to 1k fuel tank.... On slab roads and other bumps I have a lot of bounce.... I generally set the cruise on 78 mph and not only is it taxing on me but it beats the heck out of my trailer too. I've had the closet bar and some of the shelves in the front get ripped out.

My RV is a 38' triple axle triple slide and I tow my Jeep on a tow bar behind it.

I have bags to level the truck but I need a MUCH better shock to control the bouncing... On good roads it's a non issue but slab roads, and bridges put me in pogo mode... Have stock replacement monroes now and I'm not impressed.

Considered bilstiens and I'd be willing to pay the price but if I put em on and still have the issue I'd be pretty pissed.... also thought about rs9000 adjustable ranchos

Anyone had luck taming this issue with a heavy trailer?

IMG_1296.JPGIMG_0313.JPGIMG_0312.JPG

Last edited:

08Monster

Reaction score
All I wanna know is how is your fuel tank 1k? Or tool box? Just guesses or is that how much its weighs? And I've never seen a camper with that much pin weight. My 36' Montana only has around 1700.

gottagofast

Reaction score
Just rounded numbers to keep it simple. Key words are CLOSE TO.....100 gallon aux tank.... 40 gallon main tank..... Tools and box are probably a bit under 1k but the hitch I didn't mention is over 450 and the bed is always full.
My rv is heavily loaded as I live in it full time plus genny and 3 deep cycle batts in front.

Don't remember the exact pin weight but it's over 3k and I also pull my 40' gooseneck (48' overall) and sometimes get quite a bit more pin weight on it.

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Air bags increase spring rate. More spring rate more control from the shock.
If you drive unloaded at all get adjustable shocks. If not the truck will ride like a covered wagon with no load.
Dont know the places you tow, but you are over length here. 65 Max without a permit.

NotStock

Reaction score
If you want good performance both loaded and unloaded you want something with adjustable dampening. On the CHEAP side, you have the Rancho RS9000XL. Or if you want to go with a nice shock package with application specific valving to start PLUS the adjustability of an external adjuster, we can have a set of custom built King 2.0/2.5 resi shocks made up.

gottagofast

Reaction score
on the king's,
what kind of monies are we talkin?
also what is the warranty?
remote adjustability?

performance comparison rancho vs king?

How much stiffer can the rancho's go compared to stock?... I'm not certain but I think about 3-400% of the existing low speed damping would work...

NotStock

Reaction score
I would have to find out what our pricing is for the Rancho's, we dont commonly sell them but I would estimate $115 ish. The Kings in a 2.0 $450 ish and 2.5's at $575 ish. The external adjuster isnt something we have sold a lot of so I would want to verify pricing before we got serious. But these numbers should give you an idea. The Kings will blow the Rancho's out of the water in pure craftsmanship alone. Shaft on the Kings would be a 7/8" vs 1/2", seals are much more durable with additional layers, bodies are aluminium vs steel, rebuild-able vs a throw away, custom for application vs generic, the list goes on.

Concerning the relationship of the adjust-ability of the Rancho vs stock, I cannot answer that.

gottagofast

Reaction score
the king's sound GREAT but I'm not in any position to drop a grand on two shocks........ the rancho's would be fine tho IF they are up to the task.... would be nice if there were some sort of standardized scale to measure damping and compare different shocks like spring rate for springs.

NotStock

Reaction score
If your wanting something in between we can have a set of Kings custom valved on the heavy side and ditch the external adjuster which would save $150 per shock.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
When I used adjustable shocks on the 04 I had Pro Comp MX6 shocks. They worked good for me. Don't know how they compare to Rancho though. I will be looking into them shortly for the Dually. Up and down in the back from the load is getting annoying.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

gottagofast

Reaction score
please more info.... before and after... similar problems? similar load? what old shocks + good and bad points? new ones?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Most likely early 2015. Adjustable worked great like I said above on my SRW. I don't tow any heavier with the dually. Same 4000+ pin weight Toyhauler. Any tow vehicle I have eventually will get them. The 450 doesn't need adjustable shocks as much as the SRW did. Most stock shocks I have felt have a bunch of rebound to try and compensate for compression. Most people can't tell though.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

2006.1f250

Reaction score
If you want good performance both loaded and unloaded you want something with adjustable dampening. On the CHEAP side, you have the Rancho RS9000XL. Or if you want to go with a nice shock package with application specific valving to start PLUS the adjustability of an external adjuster, we can have a set of custom built King 2.0/2.5 resi shocks made up.

Shoot me a price for some 2.5 resi's for my 15 DRW. The thing weighed 8800 with 5k of that on the front. TIA

gottagofast

Reaction score
So before them were you getting the extreme bounce sometimes to the point of bottoming out? Afterwards gone?..... To me it feels like my monro's are about 25% of what is needed when towing heavy... Same for you b4 the 9000's?

Twan

Reaction score
Sounds like your rear shocks are shot to me, or you notice way way more.

I run the 9000's on 9 it helps the bounce, still get it. I have a 40' toy hauler. You could add 2 more shocks, that will help too. On our old 96 chevy we had 3 shocks at each tire, 39.5 boggers. The front end round really nice, the rear was stiff, the shocks wouldn't let it bounce. Was nice with the trailers, not as nice empty. It had pro comp 5000. It needed adjustable shocks.

Latest posts

Members online