Shocks for HEAVY towing

Jason

Reaction score
I ran the mx6's on a lifted ccsb 02, and actually liked em. I ran around with them on 3 most of the time. When I would tow heavy (like 25k gross), I would set the back shocks to 6, and with 80psi in the airbag, it really rode nice. It took a lot of the up and down bounce out of it. For what I paid for them new, they were great. I have thought about putting them on my regular cab, if I end up pulling the bottom overload, to help stiffen it up some when I need to haul something. This bastard needs some help in the back end softening it up something fierce.

RedRice589

Reaction score
I tow a 42' fifth wheel and horse trailers all the time. And I run a icon 2.5" system. Springs in front with their shocks all the way around. Really helped the bounce I also have bags to help out usually run 60psi in them never much more.

gottagofast

Reaction score
Good info thx
Keep it coming...

I run 100-125psi in my bags. Would go higher if I could but since 100 is max..... Lol

RedRice589

Reaction score
Good info thx
Keep it coming...

I run 100-125psi in my bags. Would go higher if I could but since 100 is max..... Lol

I don't understand the need for that much pressure.... I have a newer truck with softer springs and it bounces some but not enough for me to overinflated my bags. You'll be amazed if you put a solid set of icons or Bilsteins on your truck. IMO it seems you're going to have more problems if you don't drop a little coin on a nice solid shock.

gottagofast

Reaction score
The higher pressure is because I'm carrying more weight on the rear axle and likely at higher speed... Keep in mind I usually have the cruise set on 78 mph.... Big weight at high speed makes the suspension more likely to bottom out.
The more psi I run the better the ride

Agree on the need for GOOD shocks hence the reason for this thread.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
I broke 3 sets of Rancho 7000/9000 shocks on a 2x4 F-250. Will never buy Ranchos again.

Have 150k on a set of Bilsteins and tow a 10k bumper pull. I like them, not adjustable though.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
I broke 3 sets of Racho 7000/9000 shocks on a 2x4 F-250. Will never buy Ranchos again.

Have 150k on a set of Bilsteins and tow a 10k bumper pull. I like them, not adjustable though.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The higher pressure is because I'm carrying more weight on the rear axle and likely at higher speed... Keep in mind I usually have the cruise set on 78 mph.... Big weight at high speed makes the suspension more likely to bottom out.
The more psi I run the better the ride

Agree on the need for GOOD shocks hence the reason for this thread.

I run Bilstein 5100s with 255/70 valving all around. My rear springs are "C" codes from dually with Firestone air bags set at 85 psi. I tow 23k with the cruise set at 70mph. I get no bounce on concrete expansion joints. The tires are 285s Michelins Es rated at 3750.

Drove across the scale. This is without the 1100 pound golf cart on board. I don't know my pin weight. The golf cart goes in front of the car, against the front bulkhead so the rear axle sees a lot of the weight.

IMG_20130921_082802_0951_zpsa0194b43.jpg

This is my tow set up:
DSC_0106_zpse7e3c418.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I would personally setup dual rancho rs9000 shocks in the rear. 2 per corner. With the adjustability you have with them, you will be able to accomplish your goal.

The rs 9000 are a very heavy duty shock. I run them on my f-450 crew pickup, and pull a 40ft goose, with a maxed out combo of around 30k. The truck rides like a dream.

When your empty, you can turn them down. When loaded, crank them up. Best of bolth worlds

Latest posts

Members online