Single 66 on a 6.0

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
Finally got around to making a thread. Replaced my 62/80 with MPD's single 66 kit. Stainless manifolds, divided uppipes, and 66/73/91 double batmowheel.

Heres what i recommend for install
1. Ford exhaust manifold gaskets ~$40 from local ford
2. Gates hose part 18701 ~$10 from o reillys
3. A buddy to help

On my install i had a 1/8npt bung welded into the drivers manifold for the pyro, and also had a 1/4npt bung welded for the EBP sensor (not needed but while i was having the pyro welded in i just had it done).

Before i started the install i changed my oil and started the truck and let it idle for a minute so that the new turbo will see fresh oil.

Removal and replacement of the manifolds is straight forward and a PITA. Just have lots of extensions, swivels, etc and its not too bad. (zip ties help hold the gasket in place) I did this install by myself (for the most part) and it is 100% doable although i do recommend someone to make things go faster/smother. The hose i recommended for install is the hose that many use as a DIY EGR delete but is 5/8id pre bent hose (180*). This hose works perfect as the oil drain hose and does not kink.

There was some mix-ups while ordering but MPD got everything taken care of in a timely manner. Some of the best customer service i have had dealing with diesel performance shops.

Finished it up late on a Saturday so i drove it for a couple of days with the old tunes, seemed a little more responsive and spooled a little quicker. Come first thing Monday i called Eric at Innovative and ordered Xtreme X.

HOLY $#(% this thing moves. Went for a test drive and everything was smooth and the tune was clean driving around... Its amazing how much a tune can change the way the whole truck feels. It takes much less pedal to get the truck moving and seems like a light switch when you go over a certain throttle %. Ive just been so busy enjoying and driving the truck so i finally decided to make a thread.

Compared to my 62/80-
Cruising a 70 the EGTs are about the same if anything about 900* on flat ground at 95* ambient temp. Boost is lower with the 66 at about 3-4psi compared to the 62 at 5-6psi.

Now where it shines- Spool up is much BETTER than the 62/80, with the TC locked it gains speed much better and smother. Where the 62 would just smoke and SLOWLY gain speed, the 66 will haze and instantly pick up speed. Also at WOT my 62 would peg the EGT gauge QUICK, with the 66 it climbs a whole lot slower and i have not seen 1500* yet but i have not been flooring it much as it has so much more mid range.

My dad has driven my truck on X-Race with the 62/80 and with him not being familiar with driving it, he hated it. I let him drive it the other day and his response was "Seems like a normal truck, i can actually drive it now"

I could go on and on about how it drives. ETC, but with all the hype and discussions about turbos on the 6.0 i figured i would try to show ya'll without smoke(might be some smoke) and mirrors. Just from a happy customer. I have a go-pro, and can take driving videos and i am open to ideas on where to place the camera and what to do. Just please keep into consideration that i live out in the sticks and it takes me a super long time to upload a video, much less a long video.

2012-06-21_16-52-07_990.jpg

2012-06-21_16-49-25_409.jpg

2012-06-25_17-42-27_873.jpg

Was rolling at about 25-30 for this one...

OneStockQuik6.0

Reaction score
Awesome Job indeed, I started with a II 62/80 and then switched to a 64/70 and now have the mpd setup and the difference is from night to day..

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
Where do you want it and what do you want to see? I would like to have a couple of ideas so I can take care of a couple in one trip. Like I said, my internet is super slow, so try to keep them reasonable.

Only thing is, I just sold my boat and only have a little lowboy. So unless something comes up, there won't be any towing videos.

Also all videos will be taken on xtreme x as it is the only tune I ordered for this setup.

a6f9c5ce-36c5-465c.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
id say the tail pipe is a big spot that alot of people want to see, mabe doing a rolling throttle and wot runs, if your willing
Im willing, dont know if my transmission is though. LOL

Nice info what size injectors do you have?

Elite 205cc

Nice! About to do something similar methinks

You will like it! But.. I have never driven a big VGT so i can not compare it to that.

Now im not claiming that spool up is like stock. But it is not too laggy and is 110% more fun than my 62/80. Some of this might be in the tuning as well. But it makes driving in the city a whole lot easier, i can pull out and pass people with a little haze and not downshifting while before it was dangerous.

Hoping that at the next SETX GTG that we can all compare. Gare with a 68 batmo VGT and 190's, Jake has a pmax with 190's, etc. All on CCSB 4x4.

strokedoutlaw

Reaction score
well if anything im sure it doesnt smoke as bad as a cummins i saw yesterday, just getting into the throttle even a little the thing smoked like a train and smoked all the way down the street that was 35mph! was hazing the whole way, ill tell ya thats not cool in my book so if its at least clean getting up to speed id say its a win in my book

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
id just like to see it since im planning on some 190s and either a 68 vgt or a 64 non vgt, id rather go non cause i dont want to much whistle, it gets annoying

I would say a 64/.83ar with MPDs manifolds and up pipes would be a nasty street setup, and still be able to tow well.

And no clouds getting up to speed here. Unless you floor it. Ill get some vids up soon.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
nice man! this turbo really cleans up 205s real well. My full fuel tune is really only a haze at most wot.

Eric's tuning?

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
nice man! this turbo really cleans up 205s real well. My full fuel tune is really only a haze at most wot.

Eric's tuning?

Yes Sir! Xtreme X. Haven't even really seen how clean it is at WOT, only done a couple of quick runs. Guess that means i need to get out and DRIVE it some more. With the price of Diesel coming down i might be able to afford to. LOL

OneStockQuik6.0

Reaction score
Yes Sir! Xtreme X. Haven't even really seen how clean it is at WOT, only done a couple of quick runs. Guess that means i need to get out and DRIVE it some more. With the price of Diesel coming down i might be able to afford to. LOL

Are you planning on going to the track anytime soon?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

Absolutely man, glad to hear youre enjoying it, its made my truck that much more fun to drive, im sure you feel the same way.. now to hit the track :pimp:

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
Are you planning on going to the track anytime soon?
Yes, but not sure how soon. Last Friday i had plans, and now this Friday i might be on a fishing trip. Good news is, Im 15 miles from the track!

Absolutely man, glad to hear youre enjoying it, its made my truck that much more fun to drive, im sure you feel the same way.. now to hit the track :pimp:

Exactly! Very interested to see what it runs. :joy:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.