Some stock style "66" turbo testing I did...long

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I've drove a truck with a GTX series turbo (gtx4294r) and was so impressed I bought it. NO turbo lag, quiet, and smooth boost building. Very drivable and towing capable. If you has slightly larger injectors I'd push you into a GTX4088r. I think the 175/30s are a little small (maybe with a 100% nozzle and a small turbo housing) but it be perfect for some 230/80s! Or 200/30s maybe?

Let me see if I can find the specs

Edit.... I miss read, you have 175/80s, that 4088 may do ok

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
GTX40/88R
Compressor wheel:
Inducer: 63.5mm
Exducer: 88 mm
Trim: 54
A/R: 0.72

Turbine Wheel
Inducer: 68mm
Exducer: 77mm
Trim: 84
A/R: Still your choice housing

Actually smaller compressor then the 38r with the same size exducer. But I bet with the 11 blade wheel that it flows more then the 38 r

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
What size DP comes with the t4 kit?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The downpipe that comes with irates t4 kit is 3". And if your going with the s300 series turbo it will have a 4.21 marmon flange on the downpipe.
That was the only thing I was not impressed with on jakes kit. The down pipe still required some fabricatin to make it fit well. I think he might of improved it thou since I bought mine. Everything else was top notch. !

Swaan

Reaction score
I think a good turbo would be the gtx4088r. But the price tag is hard to swallow.
I would just get a hold of a good turbo shop and build a s300 with the new 64.5 fmw compressor. 68/74 turbine with a 1.00 or 1.10 divided ex housing. Done. Spool faster then a 366 and out flow it also.
Basically a basb without the numbers ground off and a forged mill wheel compressor.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I think a good turbo would be the gtx4088r. But the price tag is hard to swallow.
I would just get a hold of a good turbo shop and build a s300 with the new 64.5 fmw compressor. 68/74 turbine with a 1.00 or 1.10 divided ex housing. Done. Spool faster then a 366 and out flow it also.
Basically a basb without the numbers ground off and a forged mill wheel compressor.

I would love to see a comparison of these two turbos. That one (64.5 fmw) can be upgraded to a 66mm comp later too if some one was to want more up top. I wonder if the maps are available to the public. Forgot to ask Irate and Barder when I was doing my research.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
I would love to see a comparison of these two turbos. That one (64.5 fmw) can be upgraded to a 66mm comp wheel later too if some one was to want more up top. I wonder if the maps are available to the public. Forgot to ask Irate and Barder when I was doing my research.

racehauler

Reaction score
I have a bone stock H2E in my 96 with 300/100 B codes. My dad has a GTP38R with 1.15 housing and 160cc stage 1 single shots in his 2001. Every time he drives my truck he wishes he had my turbo.

The H2E just suits the 7.3 very well. I don't care how big or small the injectors are. If you daily drive and tow with your 7.3 you would probably be happier with a stock H2E than you would be with nearly any other turbocharger know to mankind.

Last edited:

JD3020

Reaction score
I blew up my stock turbo after 6k miles of hard abuse last summer, and i bought Jarrets D66. I ran it all winter towing 10-14k just about daily. Stock HPOP, 250/2's, Swamps IDM, non-intercooled, my tunes, 4.10 gears.

All i will say is once it stopped snowing and i had some downtime, i sold the D66 and bought a T4 mount the next day. It wasn't necessarily a bad turbo, but for the price the gains were not there. Honestly i put the stock turbo back on and didn't notice much of a difference. As it is the stock turbo has some major flaws when pushed out of the stock parameters, which is pretty obvious. All the 38r wheel is doing is compounding the situation. I do wish i could try a wastegated 1.0 housing on a 38r, i don't think it'd be a bad turbo at all. But i was less than impressed with the D66.

My stock turbo has been going strong ever since, still tows heavy daily with no complaints. I just wish i could decide what i want to do with this T4 mount and 468 i've had here for a while. :rockon:

bryan.d

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same effects as the op. It seams this can be resolved with tuning. I wrote if off as to having high mileage injectors in the truck. Maybe some tuners will chime in on this.

Sent from my HTCONE

blaze42069

Reaction score
All i will say is once it stopped snowing and i had some downtime, i sold the D66 and bought a T4 mount the next day. It wasn't necessarily a bad turbo, but for the price the gains were not there. Honestly i put the stock turbo back on and didn't notice much of a difference. As it is the stock turbo has some major flaws when pushed out of the stock parameters, which is pretty obvious. All the 38r wheel is doing is compounding the situation. I do wish i could try a wastegated 1.0 housing on a 38r, i don't think it'd be a bad turbo at all. But i was less than impressed with the D66.

I got a D66 with a WW2 and feel the same.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Well I towed my GN trailer Friday to the track (Lebanon Valley Dragway)<-- a dump, GVW is almost 21k. Took NY State Thruway which had alot of rolling hills. The trip was done in the heavy tow program. The ICP pressures was in the 2700 range in the 30%-40% range.

My observations:
- When I was merging onto the highway, I could easily hit 1300 and go higher. I had to take it easy merging which wasn't isn't my style getting up to highway speed.
- Once I was up to cruising speed, I set the cruise at 70 which is around 1850rpms. The motor has plenty of power not dropping a gear to pull the hills. But the EGTs got hot if it stayed in OD. I had to drop it out of OD which bumps the rpms around 2700 area. Once the rpms increased, the EGTs dropped. I can't imagine driving for hours at that high of an rpm.
- A few times when I dropped into 3rd, I had to pedal the throttle to keep the EGTs in check.
- Had to do a some back road driving to get to the track. I had to drive with the trans in 2nd gear.
- The hardest part was slow speed driving, 50 mph with hills. I was stuck between gears to keep the EGTs in check.
- The motor could have used more turbo flow to clean up the smoke which will probably cool it down also.
- I had to constantly keep an eye on EGT gauge which was a pain at times.

But when cruising, the motor was smooth...good job Tim on the injectors.

This is what I tow:

DSC_0106_zpse7e3c418.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

V-Ref

Reaction score
I just wish i could decide what i want to do with this T4 mount and 468 i've had here for a while. :rockon:

I just don't see how.you can beat the S467.7 FMW pn 178855 for the money for a 7.3 if your gonna go with a T4 mount.

$1250-1350 out of the box turbo.

Only gripe is the race cover is so big, it can create install conflicts depending on your mount/plenums.

Latest posts

Members online