Some stock style "66" turbo testing I did...long

jwlandry

Reaction score
I just don't see how.you can beat the S467.7 FMW pn 178855 for the money for a 7.3 if your gonna go with a T4 mount.

$1250-1350 out of the box turbo.

Only gripe is the race cover is so big, it can create install conflicts depending on your mount/plenums.

The s400 based turbos require cowl massaging on a obs. That was the whole reason I stayed w s366. I had done enough beating and bending on the firewall and didn't want to do anymore.

V-Ref

Reaction score
The s400 based turbos require cowl massaging on a obs. That was the whole reason I stayed w s366. I had done enough beating and bending on the firewall and didn't want to do anymore.

I knew that too!...forgot that though.

Forced Performance makes a great journal bearing gt42 with a very high flowing billet wheel for <$1300 that'd be worth looking at to.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I knew that too!...forgot that though.

Forced Performance makes a great journal bearing gt42 with a very high flowing billet wheel for <$1300 that'd be worth looking at to.

I have a Precision Turbo GT42 with a billet wheel, BB water cooled center section in the race car. Buy a new turbo for the car and put that turbo on the truck.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
I have a Precision Turbo GT42 with a billet wheel, BB water cooled center section in the race car. Buy a new turbo for the car and put that turbo on the truck

I have one and I dont think you'd like that either, in fact it could be worse. A hot turd until it makes 10+ psi. I run mine OD locked out unless the road is flat and I'm over 70 in the middle of nowhere (to get rpm). I'm telling ya, 4.10s would totally change your drive. That load needs to be at 2500 all the time. Let it breathe ...

If you're set on the gear, a little water would work also.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
You're right if i did it every weekend. I can't justify the gear change because most of the time I run empty.

I tow probably once a month during spring/fall and it's local to the NJ area around a 2 hour ride. I try not going to the track during July/August, i dont fell like baking on the tar. Then once a year I'll do a 14 hour drive to KY.

Billy T.
[email protected]

mandkole

Reaction score
Oh I thought you towed more.. I'm in the same boat, it's good fun when empty and that's most of the time.

For towing heavy, the more stock the better. It's slow but you don't have to worry about it.

m j

Reaction score

when I mocked mine up there was a small amount of contact at the cowl.
then I replaced the body mounts with energy suspension poly mounts, I dont think it would have touched after that, but as I already had the spot marked I gave it a tiny push with the porta power on the marked spot.
I think your motor mount and cab mount condition will effect that spot but for me it was not an issue at all.
the downpipe was pretty major
I dont tow so I can comment on whether a s467 will work well there

you can see the sharpie mark on the firewall behind the race cover in this image

IMG_20140115_182939_zpshxrbqsgj.png

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You're right if i did it every weekend. I can't justify the gear change because most of the time I run empty.

I tow probably once a month during spring/fall and it's local to the NJ area around a 2 hour ride. I try not going to the track during July/August, i dont fell like baking on the tar. Then once a year I'll do a 14 hour drive to KY.

Billy T.
[email protected]

dont you have to buy up pipes and a mount kit in order to swap turbo's?

just a quick search and im sure vendors would have something too. http://www.drivetrainshop.com/Ford_10_25_10_5_s/97.htm

live life full throttle

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have one and I dont think you'd like that either, in fact it could be worse. A hot turd until it makes 10+ psi. I run mine OD locked out unless the road is flat and I'm over 70 in the middle of nowhere (to get rpm). I'm telling ya, 4.10s would totally change your drive. That load needs to be at 2500 all the time. Let it breathe ...

If you're set on the gear, a little water would work also.

I was set and ready to drop the coin on a gear swap to 4.10, i waited it out because i wssnt the only one that wasnt pleased with the d66. Glad i waited too, i love the truck it pulls the 30' travel trailor very well, no smoke on acceleration, and keeps egts low across the entire power band. It stays between 15-20 psi cruising towing on relitivly flat highway, and spools quick to make up the hills with LOTS of power and zero worry about egts anymore. Absolutly love it, again, glad i didnt make the gear change

mandkole

Reaction score
It stays between 15-20 psi cruising towing on relitivly flat highway,

wow..on flat highway. Thats a nice towing setup. it takes a lot of sustained load and throttle to make 20 with the 42. The issue is the transition from 5 to 20psi and it takes engine rpm.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I was set and ready to drop the coin on a gear swap to 4.10, i waited it out because i wssnt the only one that wasnt pleased with the d66. Glad i waited too, i love the truck it pulls the 30' travel trailor very well, no smoke on acceleration, and keeps egts low across the entire power band. It stays between 15-20 psi cruising towing on relitivly flat highway, and spools quick to make up the hills with LOTS of power and zero worry about egts anymore. Absolutly love it, again, glad i didnt make the gear change

It's even more impressive that you are running 3.55's. You are using your truck the way that I eventually plan on using mine. I am pretty much sold on the BASB. Who wants a turbo that you have to be at 2000 or above to get it going. It just doesn't jive with the way I operate the truck. I guess I could learn to drive it at higher rpm's but then you will probably take a significant hit on fuel economy by doing this. I figure worst case scenario I get the turbo and decide to do the Cummins swap later on (I know sacrilege) I can just use it for my hp turbo in a compound setup and then just select the appropriate atmo turbo. Just have to figure out if I am going to fabricate the mount/up-pipes or just by the Irate setup.

ja_cain

Reaction score
wow..on flat highway. Thats a nice towing setup. it takes a lot of sustained load and throttle to make 20 with the 42. The issue is the transition from 5 to 20psi and it takes engine rpm.

Exactly! The turbo just seems to have a very broad map. I wonder if switching from the T4i to the T4 mount had some sort of impact on the response of the turbo. The BSAB turbo was supposed to be specifically designed for these trucks. I would love to pop into Pius's shop and just BS with him. To bad I live on the east coast.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The hfsb is the exact same turbo but for a t4i. Jody at dp has been running it on his excursion for a while now and absolutely loves it towng. He is pretty much running same setup as mine for injectors and all, however with it being an excursion it does have 3.73 instead of the 3.55s, highly doubt there would much of a noticeable difference in feel between the two. Oh and of course his is an auto, so even better for spool up characteristics, if you already have a t4i, I would try to contact him and ask him about his experience. He has been very helpful to me, it does help only living a couple towns down the road too

gnxtc2

Reaction score
dont you have to buy up pipes and a mount kit in order to swap turbo's?

just a quick search and im sure vendors would have something too. http://www.drivetrainshop.com/Ford_10_25_10_5_s/97.htm

live life full throttle

With the current up-pipes I have (Irate's one piece set up for OBS), I don't have to pull the the turbo to do an exhaust housing swap.

If I decide to go to T4 (which I probably will), I will get Irate's T4 conversion kit for OBS trucks and slap the BASB turbo. I just need to more info about the DP that come with Irate's T4 kit. I can do the whole kit at my shop but if the DP needs any modification, I can not do at my shop; I have to do at my chassis fabricators place so he can do fab the DP. I have a small MIG welder which doesn't do great on stainless, I prefer a TIG for that job.

Running at a higher rpm is going to be my last resort as I drive my truck empty most of the time.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
Have you looked at downsizing your turbine housing? Turbine housing blanket?

http://ptpturboblankets.com/T3-T4-Turbo-Blanket-Lava-000507.html

Ive considered a blanket. I can work with it so a housing is not in plan. All in all, its a beast when in 3rd gear, so you just need to plan for the condition. When the 20s eventually go on, I'll be looking at a 34" tire and that will make 3rd even better (although 4th would be worse..). My biggest issue is more urban traffic with hills and lots of throttle/speed changes.

For me, its always been focusing on driving the truck differently with a load and knowing what it wants.

ja_cain

Reaction score
With the current up-pipes I have (Irate's one piece set up for OBS), I don't have to pull the the turbo to do an exhaust housing swap.

If I decide to go to T4 (which I probably will), I will get Irate's T4 conversion kit for OBS trucks and slap the BASB turbo. I just need to more info about the DP that come with Irate's T4 kit. I can do the whole kit at my shop but if the DP needs any modification, I can not do at my shop; I have to do at my chassis fabricators place so he can do fab the DP. I have a small MIG welder which doesn't do great on stainless, I prefer a TIG for that job.

Running at a higher rpm is going to be my last resort as I drive my truck empty most of the time.

Billy T.
[email protected]

I farted around with my mig and some tri-mix using a spool of 316 and did not like the results. Puddle just seemed too sluggish and didn't weld like mild steel does. Now I have a Dynasty 200 and the results with ss are so much better. I do prefer mig for mild steel due to the higher deposition rate and ease of use though.

jwlandry

Reaction score

Billy T.
[email protected]

Jakes dp is short. Basically its the top section of a 2 piece dp. All I did was use a piese of flex pipe to connect the dp to the Existing exhaust. Worked out perfectly. I didnt have to cut up or fab anything. I can snap some pics if you need some. And the dp is not stainless so might would be perfect.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Jakes dp is short. Basically its the top section of a 2 piece dp. All I did was use a piese of flex pipe to connect the dp to the Existing exhaust. Worked out perfectly. I didnt have to cut up or fab anything. I can snap some pics if you need some. And the dp is not stainless so might would be perfect.

Yes, some pics will be great. How much flex would I need to have on hand? I'm assuming 3" flex.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online