Sonnax/Tricumulator shift kit vs BTS valvebody

Buffalo444

Reaction score
What's the difference? I know the BTS actually comes with the valve body, but whats the actual performance and technical difference?

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I put the sonnax kit in mine. It has held up very well to my no power making dinasour.

What hp level? Stock trans? How much did it firm up the shifts? any vids of it in action?

I'm really wanting to know the difference between the two.

Arisley

Reaction score
Around 500HP, stock trans. Heavy duty O'Reilly torque converter I bought used from a member that was upgrading. The TC is sick finally. Firmed up the shifts very crisp and clean. Sorry, no video.

Like Jer was saying, I consider this a must do when you chip a truck. If I had to make a choice between gauges and a sonnex, I would probably go with the sonnex. David sold me mine and also like mentioned above, the instructions that come with it make it a simple straight forward install.

Desertdweller

Reaction score
Around 500HP, stock trans. Heavy duty O'Reilly torque converter I bought used from a member that was upgrading. The TC is sick finally. Firmed up the shifts very crisp and clean. Sorry, no video.

Like Jer was saying, I consider this a must do when you chip a truck. If I had to make a choice between gauges and a sonnex, I would probably go with the sonnex. David sold me mine and also like mentioned above, the instructions that come with it make it a simple straight forward install.

Is there any way you could video your truck shifting with the sonnex? If so it would be nice to see a part throttle run as well as a wot run. thanks

Desertdweller

Reaction score
Thats a cool video but I dont drive like that lol It doesnt sound like your torque converter locked at the 1-2 shift? The locking of the converter at the 1-2 shift is my biggest problem, I would like my converter to lock by itself almost sounding like another gear.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I don't really know what you guys are looking for. The Sonnax valve kit doesn't change your shift points. It makes your shifts quicker and more crisp for less shift flare. Our transmissions are controlled through the PCM, it doesn't work like a gasser shift kit that extends the shift points. I'll try to find a video, but the truck shifts like most others, but without the flare that you would most likely get in a stock truck with tunes.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I cannot comment on what BTS does to their valve bodies, but the Sonnax kit works, period.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I don't really know what you guys are looking for. The Sonnax valve kit doesn't change your shift points. It makes your shifts quicker and more crisp for less shift flare. Our transmissions are controlled through the PCM, it doesn't work like a gasser shift kit that extends the shift points. I'll try to find a video, but the truck shifts like most others, but without the flare that you would most likely get in a stock truck with tunes.

That's what I want. Quicker, firmer shifts. This OBS shifts waaaaay to softly for my liking.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
That's what I want. Quicker, firmer shifts. This OBS shifts waaaaay to softly for my liking.

I can tell you, that tuning also plays a role. That being said, a truck with a Sonnax kit will shift better than a stock VB.

Tuner A may shift one way, and Tuner B another. I've seen a truck with Tuner A have BAD shift flare, while the same truck with tuner B was much better.

Add a Sonnax kit, and Tuner A's shifts feel much more like Tuner B's, but then Tuner B's feel even better.

Clear as mud? LOL

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I can tell you, that tuning also plays a role. That being said, a truck with a Sonnax kit will shift better than a stock VB.

Tuner A may shift one way, and Tuner B another. I've seen a truck with Tuner A have BAD shift flare, while the same truck with tuner B was much better.

Add a Sonnax kit, and Tuner A's shifts feel much more like Tuner B's, but then Tuner B's feel even better.

Clear as mud? LOL

Basically. lol.

I would really like some vids from in the cab showing the tach, with your DI chip would be really helpful. The entire reason I started this thread was because your package for 375$ is way cheaper than a BTS VB (250$) and a Pheonix chip (295$). I've already seen vids with that combo, so a vid from inside the cab of a truck with that package could really be the selling point.

Latest posts

Members online