Sonnax/Tricumulator shift kit vs BTS valvebody

Buffalo444

Reaction score
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?v=3269493932557

Does this work for anyone? I'm not sure I remember what's going on here, because I can't watch it at work.

Vid works, I really like it.

I would like some more details on it (not to ruffle any feathers by comparing it to a BTS VB, but I understand more about that, so I'm just comparing the know to the unknown. No offense intended):

The sonnax kit replaces the valve assemblies in the accumulator, which is the part I believe the BTS replaces itself. That makes sense if thats what's switched out.

The BTS VB comes with a separator plate that does.... something. why doesn't your sonnax kit come with one, and would it be safe to install one additionally?

As far as tunes go, David is one of the few other tuners I would want to be burning my chip, so the only reason I'm wanting to do this is because it would be nice to knock out the trans and tunes all in one.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I really don't have a clue what BTS does to their valve bodies or why. Whatever it it's, I'm sure it's great and the benefits are awesome. I've driven trucks with both and they both shift great.

As far as the plate, I couldn't begin to comment on what it does or why it's there, I have full shift kits with plates and holes to drill etc. But the reason I suggest the Sonnax kit is because it's simple and our tunes compliment it well.

Boomer

Reaction score
I have the DI chip/Sonnax kit combo. I don't have a video, but I'm not sure what it would do for you. It's just a truck shifting the way it should with minimal flare.

The only thing that isn't perfect for me is if I am running the "race" tune at light throttle, the 3-4 shift will "bang" into place harder than I'd like. Heavier throttle input works just fine. And the "extreme" tune is more fun and shifts great at any throttle position. It was money very well spent and, as I said in the other thread, quite easy to install. Just make sure you have a plastic tarp to put down.

Sent from a smart phone by a dumb guy.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Boomer! I've mostly noticed the same. I'll talk to David and see if there's a way around it. If you're anywhere other than light throttle, it shifts perfectly, but there is definitely a noticeable shift at part throttle.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yep, my Dad always told me the best way to save fuel was to get into high gear as soon as possible. I always listened to my Dad.

Somehow, I don't think that my way is quite what he meant.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Let me explain.

Shifting allows for clutch slippage metered/buffered by pressurized fluid. Both of my trucks push past this normal limit and slip after each shift. I want it to be positive shift. Make sense?

The reason i want an in cab vid is so i can see the rpm drop.

I've already bought the sniper and only held off the shift kit to see what it actually did.

Last edited:

Boomer

Reaction score
I notice the same thing with Tony's tunes. My fix is simple, fack a bunch of light throttle sheet.

That's what I try to do, but when I'm stuck in traffic and they're only doing 40mph, I don't have much choice. So, I just put it in the hotter tune and leave a little more smoke if the situation requires a quick application of throttle. But the shift is great.

Sent from a smart phone by a dumb guy.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Vid works, I really like it.

I would like some more details on it (not to ruffle any feathers by comparing it to a BTS VB, but I understand more about that, so I'm just comparing the know to the unknown. No offense intended):

The sonnax kit replaces the valve assemblies in the accumulator, which is the part I believe the BTS replaces itself. That makes sense if thats what's switched out.

The BTS VB comes with a separator plate that does.... something. why doesn't your sonnax kit come with one, and would it be safe to install one additionally?

As far as tunes go, David is one of the few other tuners I would want to be burning my chip, so the only reason I'm wanting to do this is because it would be nice to knock out the trans and tunes all in one.

I belive JAP already answered it... but when i installed my BTS VB, i took notice to the extra holes brian drills in the plate beyond the holes that are in it from the factory. Or manufacturer he gets them from. I can get a viedo of my BTS and PHP tunes if u would like but i belive u have already seen that

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I've seen Jake Phillips' not yours, so it would be nice to see in an ins.

Sent from my LG-C900 using Board Express

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Let me explain.

Shifting allows for clutch slippage metered/buffered by pressurized fluid. Both of my trucks push past this normal limit and slip after each shift. I want it to be positive shift. Make sense?

The reason i want an in cab vid is so i can see the rpm drop.

I've already bought the sniper and only held off the shift kit to see what it actually did.

I posted one.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
here you go jason.... the lighting when i got home was horriable. you couldnt see the tach. so i waited till agter soft ball and gave it a shot again, and agian, and again..... everytime someone pulled out infront of me or had to slow down as someone was comming the other way. but anyhow. here you go. BTS VB, PHP tunes.... stock sticks, oil and fuel!!

th_photobucket-4597-1342750803889.jpg

i think you can actually watch the fuel gauge go down.. HAHAHAHA

Last edited:

Buffalo444

Reaction score
here you go jason.... the lighting when i got home was horriable. you couldnt see the tach. so i waited till agter soft ball and gave it a shot again, and agian, and again..... everytime someone pulled out infront of me or had to slow down as someone was comming the other way. but anyhow. here you go. BTS VB, PHP tunes.... stock sticks, oil and fuel!!

th_photobucket-4597-1342750803889.jpg

i think you can actually watch the fuel gauge go down.. HAHAHAHA

LOL. Guessing you have 3.55's? What kind of firmness did you ask for when you ordered your VB?

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
3.73s with 35"s haha.... i ordered it thru cary at CT performance. he asked me what i plan to do with it. told him it will eventually tow a trailer for business around 6-7k and till then just a truck to be used as a truck when needed. he told me ok and thats what i have. i ordered it thru him as he helped me out a buch on the 05 axle swap so i do business with him when ever i can

TARM

Reaction score
BTS VB VS Sonnax/Tricumulator shift kit? So where are comparing what is basically a parts kit versus a complete custom built VB that was built by a gentleman that builds arguably the absolute best and strongest 4r100 in the world and has basically dedicated his working life for however many years now to making the 4r100 as good as it can possibly be. Hmmmmm Is this really a hard question to answer? If all you can about is positive shifts and NOTHING more I am sure the kit will do fine. That is very different from comparing the parts kit vs a BTS VB at least IMO when speaking of over all performance and reliability and its effects on the overall trans.

I do not know all Brian does to the VB and or if some of it is different for his built trans vs one he would sell to someone with a otherwise stock trans. But I do know that mine as was said had extra holes that were not on the stock one and thus would not be in the the one with just the parts kit. I would not doubt there are a number of other tweaks he does or possibly even mod he makes to those same parts kits or parts he chooses to have made better etc..

As I see it when it comes to 7.3 performance or even just diesel engine repair etc in general the cost of the BTS or even the dif between it and the kit that you must install (even though its not exactly hard at all or overly time consuming to do) is barely a single drop in the money bucket. I would go with a full built VB from BTS and as far as I know if you give him your specs he can adjust it likewise to match up with your trucks configuration.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.