Stage 1 differences?

Reaction score
So far in this thread I think maxtrax isn't going to listen to a word what people have to say and that his so called "source" basically knows his chit and is #1 in the 7.3 world.:lookaround:
Not trying to be rude but I think the sponsors and guys that know what they are talking about that have chimed in on this are wasting their time!
If the guy don't want help and advive then.....don't start a thread!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
to the OP... You need to listen to people that know their ****. In all honestly there are only a select few that ACTUALLY know 7.3 injectors. Sounds like youve found one that dont know ****.

Hotrodtractor
DZLjim
Bean
Casserly
Swamps
Mike @ Farmers Diesel (contrary to most peoples views, the guy builds a mean injector)
Nate from Unlimited

Im sure i forgot some as well.... but listen to someone who has been inside an injector, done the trial and error, failed miserably and then fixed their mistakes. The key word there would be FIXED WHAT THEY DID WRONG. I would trust all of those guys to build me an injector.
Whether it be stage 1 or a 400cc hybrid, ive ran them all and have definitely made terrible decisions when it came to injectors. If you listen to those guys, you will have a beautifully running truck. PERIOD

maxtrax

Reaction score
Bingo.
EDM'ing nozzles is so 5 years ago.
Many, many guys blew used nozzles that were EDM'd, some from him, and just about anybody else at the time. You just don't want to do that.
With the new nozzles that hit the market 5 years back or so, they basically made modifying nozzles obsolete.
There's a reason everybody else quit doing that.
If you think you're saving money with him modifying your used nozzles, think twice.
If you want to buy new nozzles THEN have him work on them, you're paying too much!
Keep doing some reasearch before you decide, and make sure you're 100% comfortable with whoever you choose to do your work.

FWIW, I personally have nothing against Ken/DPS. What I've said holds true for anybody you may be dealing with.

This is what I was looking for! Somebody that is willing to explain it to me and is willing to give me more than "just don't use him". I have been around the internet scheme long enough to know there are a bunch of people that will say stuff without being able to back it up. For me I don't think its fair to rule out a supplier until I know WHY not to use them.

That is precisely why I started this thread asking WHY his stuff would/wouldn't work. I am willing to take constructive criticism but, no offense, I don't know alot of the people on here so I need some substance to verify their response.

BTW - Jim do you have any recommendations on people that would be able to tune stage1 singles good?

smokedout250

Reaction score
Look under the sponsor section! There's lots of tuners! Ive been in your shoes I went with a local guy for! Biggest mistake I ever my truck runs way smoother and all around just a better part!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gearhead

Reaction score
I like hybrids.... 238/80 is a great injector for all purposes and can do from 300-500 HP with a twist of a knob.

maxtrax

Reaction score
Will the hybrids offer better MPG? I have read that stage 1 singles could potentially improve my mpg by 1-2. Not sure if either is true or not.

Also what does the second number stand for in the injector numbering? ie... 238/80 I know is a 238cc but what is the 80? 80% larger nozzle?

mattman347

Reaction score
Are you looking for 500 hp in the future? Are you going to want to do a turbo, fuel system, studs, valve springs and a built transmission in the future? If you answer is yes, then I would go for the hybrids. If you are wanting around 100 more HP at the top end of things, and keep it mostly stock, the stage 1's will do that.

maxtrax

Reaction score
Ok. I did get a van turbo for EGT purposes when I tow but if I'm going to be looking for 500hp its going to be a couple years... and most likely a 6.7 or 6.4!

maxtrax

Reaction score
Bingo.
EDM'ing nozzles is so 5 years ago.
Many, many guys blew used nozzles that were EDM'd, some from him, and just about anybody else at the time. You just don't want to do that.
With the new nozzles that hit the market 5 years back or so, they basically made modifying nozzles obsolete.
There's a reason everybody else quit doing that.
If you think you're saving money with him modifying your used nozzles, think twice.
If you want to buy new nozzles THEN have him work on them, you're paying too much!
Keep doing some reasearch before you decide, and make sure you're 100% comfortable with whoever you choose to do your work.

FWIW, I personally have nothing against Ken/DPS. What I've said holds true for anybody you may be dealing with.

Well I had to go over to DPS to get a new selector switch for my TS as it has been not functioning properly recently... Which he exchanged no questions asked BTW.

I also took the time to get his side of the "problems" that I have read about online and also what exactly he does with his injectors. Like you said he did have some issues along with everyone else at the time. However, several years ago, the guy that was EDM modifying the tips for him and the rest of the market has passed away. Ken is now using a supplier that will make injector tips to whatever specification that he wants so he simply orders them brand new.

His stage 1's up the CC slightly as well as utilize a 30% larger nozzle (if I remember correctly) but remain a split shot.

JD3020

Reaction score
Well I had to go over to DPS to get a new selector switch for my TS as it has been not functioning properly recently... Which he exchanged no questions asked BTW.

I also took the time to get his side of the "problems" that I have read about online and also what exactly he does with his injectors. Like you said he did have some issues along with everyone else at the time. However, several years ago, the guy that was EDM modifying the tips for him and the rest of the market has passed away. Ken is now using a supplier that will make injector tips to whatever specification that he wants so he simply orders them brand new.

His stage 1's up the CC slightly as well as utilize a 30% larger nozzle (if I remember correctly) but remain a split shot.

But whats the point of going with more volume but a nozzle that limits it? And staying with splits? Has he ever given a reason why he likes splits so much?

TyCorr

Reaction score
But whats the point of going with more volume but a nozzle that limits it? And staying with splits? Has he ever given a reason why he likes splits so much?

Stage 1's are always, whatever with a 30-over nozzle...commonly 160/30 or 175/30

maxtrax

Reaction score
He said that splits offer better torque while not needing a change in the tunes I already have. This would allow me to change my injectors out whenever and not need a reflash.

chappy

Reaction score
If you guys knew how good of a talker ken is you woulkd understand why the Op is listening to him. Ken Could sell ice cream to an eskimo. Ken loves the younger crowd because they believe everything he says. Hell Brandon took his injectors back to him twice and they still are not right. He also will never give you an exact breakdown of what you are getting done. This one kid has mystery injectors because Ken won't tell him what they are and a mystery trans beause Ken won't tell him who is building it or whats done to it. I also was told he writes a true 160hp tune for a stock injectored 7.3 lol. He has also been quoted telling people that all other injectors builders buy there nozzles from him. Only thing he knows how to do is
a2m.gif
Like I said he is a good talker and he don't like me to much lol . If you don't buy his junk then he don't like you. All he does is bad mouth every other 7.3 shop thats doesn't sell his junk. That automatically makes me not like someone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good post Jason! You hit the nail on the head, it's too bad that there people like Ken screwing people over like that. I have talked to Brandon about this very issue and that is why we are gonna get him set up this spring so he can shut Ken up and all his followers out there.

Latest posts

Members online