stage 2 cam whos running them?

stonepusher

Reaction score
My stock cam has been fine. Now when I do my full motor build I will more than likely be doing a colt cam but for the average truck and average build I don't think they are absolutely neccasary.

stonepusher

Reaction score
Trying not to derail thread here but here is the most current graph of my truck. This was at the CenTex Dyno day. Fuel only was 658 and the 835 was ONE stage using .088 jet. This tune is only running 1.4 pw, we haven't live tuned these 285/150's yet we just threw my old tune on from when I ran the 225/100's and stock everything else. Hopefully planning on live tuning it this week and bringing the pw to around 1.8. But you can see in the graph the power carries out all the way, on nitrous it never stops gaining. I think for the average guy a stock cam is plenty sufficient, as for egts they run like a stock charger now. Hits 1500 at the track and cruising 70 they are around 800-850ish.
imagejpg1_zps690733c0.jpg

I just believe these engines are plenty sufficient with stock internals for the average and slightly above average guys. Look what Jesse and I have done recently on stock bottom ends. IMO if you don't plan on doing a full on engine build then a stock cam is fine.

swinky

Reaction score
If worn out lifters haven't already trashed the cam then yes I agree.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Triumph1188

Reaction score
Trying not to derail thread here but here is the most current graph of my truck. This was at the CenTex Dyno day. Fuel only was 658 and the 835 was ONE stage using .088 jet. This tune is only running 1.4 pw, we haven't live tuned these 285/150's yet we just threw my old tune on from when I ran the 225/100's and stock everything else. Hopefully planning on live tuning it this week and bringing the pw to around 1.8. But you can see in the graph the power carries out all the way, on nitrous it never stops gaining. I think for the average guy a stock cam is plenty sufficient, as for egts they run like a stock charger now. Hits 1500 at the track and cruising 70 they are around 800-850ish.

I just believe these engines are plenty sufficient with stock internals for the average and slightly above average guys. Look what Jesse and I have done recently on stock bottom ends. IMO if you don't plan on doing a full on engine build then a stock cam is fine.

Max torque on one run was 1300 and another 2200??

windrunner408

Reaction score
The stock cam is fine if a guy buys a truck and just does power adders like injectors, turbo, etc and doesn't build the motor. However, my opinion is, when the motor gets yanked to do any sort of bottom end rebuild, you're really short servicing yourself by not putting in a new cam with new lifters (since the lifters will have worn to the old cam) and since you're going to be replacing a cam, why not just throw in a Stage 1 to lower lifter pre-load and help lengthen the life of your lifters?? Idk, this is just how I see it. I know for me, I'll be doing a cam when I do my motor in the next few months and it's really for nothing more than to hopefully lengthen the life of things.

stonepusher

Reaction score
The stock cam is fine if a guy buys a truck and just does power adders like injectors, turbo, etc and doesn't build the motor. However, my opinion is, when the motor gets yanked to do any sort of bottom end rebuild, you're really short servicing yourself by not putting in a new cam with new lifters (since the lifters will have worn to the old cam) and since you're going to be replacing a cam, why not just throw in a Stage 1 to lower lifter pre-load and help lengthen the life of your lifters?? Idk, this is just how I see it. I know for me, I'll be doing a cam when I do my motor in the next few months and it's really for nothing more than to hopefully lengthen the life of things.

I agree, if you are building a motor than a new came is a must IMO but depending on goals a new stock cam will be sufficient. From my understanding the stock cam was designed around the VGT turbo so if a guy is planning on staying VGT then I wouldn't shy away from that. Basic builds have been proven to work VGT or non VGT, like mentioned above take my truck and more notably Jesse's. I have seen many builds get over thought and not go anywhere.

KCTurbos

Reaction score

That's pretty awesome to make that much power at that low of a pulse width. I heard about your results a few weeks ago but I did not see any threads on it. Do u have any sort of build thread to make it easier to stock you... lol

I am very curious to see how your power changes when u increase the pulse width. I know 75% nozzles can dump about 240cc at 2.4 pw. So with twice as big of nozzles I would theorize that u could dump 240cc at 1.2pw and 285cc at 1.4pw... those r all just guesstimates so it will be very interesting to see how much power is left on the table when extending the pw

Triumph1188

Reaction score
That's pretty awesome to make that much power at that low of a pulse width. I heard about your results a few weeks ago but I did not see any threads on it. Do u have any sort of build thread to make it easier to stock you... lol

I am very curious to see how your power changes when u increase the pulse width. I know 75% nozzles can dump about 240cc at 2.4 pw. So with twice as big of nozzles I would theorize that u could dump 240cc at 1.2pw and 285cc at 1.4pw... those r all just guesstimates so it will be very interesting to see how much power is left on the table when extending the pw

It might not be quite the same amount of fuel per PW due to those being hybrids and slightly lower injection pressure. Either way, though, we learn more!

Latest posts

Members online