Streetmax Turbo Arrived - DIY Tips?

bpan

Reaction score
lets at least make a couple changes before you buy more tunes.

Meh, I don't mind messing around with tunes anyways. I'm pretty sure the lag is some sort of leak. It's at a local shop being looked at now. I just don't have the time to hunt for it. I'm not sure if it is on the exhaust or pressure side. It lags quite hard once I get to about 1750RPM it just explodes. But before that boost won't get to 10PSI

bpan

Reaction score
They found the leak! One of the up pipe clamps was loose. Im going to blame that on the guy that was helping me do the swap. lol.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
They found the leak! One of the up pipe clamps was loose. Im going to blame that on the guy that was helping me do the swap. lol.

Same thing happened to me haha. Glad to hear you found it and yes that would have made it spool like a slug. Those clamps have to be shaped to the flanges the first time and I had to get mine pretty darn tight to seal up.

JRLott

Reaction score
I'm curious... will a re-tune not be worth his money or are supplementary mods necessary with the streetmax?

He's simply saying it the current tunes can be tweaked to accommodate the new turbo, not that the new turbo does not need different tunes than the factory turbo. A tune tweak is likely cheaper than a new tune package.

doo dah

Reaction score
Meh, I don't mind messing around with tunes anyways. I'm pretty sure the lag is some sort of leak. It's at a local shop being looked at now. I just don't have the time to hunt for it. I'm not sure if it is on the exhaust or pressure side. It lags quite hard once I get to about 1750RPM it just explodes. But before that boost won't get to 10PSI

I had a split in the intercooler elbow on mine, found it on accident but thought the whine coming from under the hood wasn't quite turbo like in sound. My lag is less but not gone, still getting more smoke than I think I should so I might try tightening the clamps to see if it helps. Then maybe a call to Midwest, not happy with GH MM tunes for my truck so far. Their SCT version was much better engine wise.

bpan

Reaction score
I had a split in the intercooler elbow on mine, found it on accident but thought the whine coming from under the hood wasn't quite turbo like in sound. My lag is less but not gone, still getting more smoke than I think I should so I might try tightening the clamps to see if it helps. Then maybe a call to Midwest, not happy with GH MM tunes for my truck so far. Their SCT version was much better engine wise.

Interesting.... I've been quite happy with GH tunes on the stock turbo truck. We will see how these are tomorrow when the truck is done. Definitely not my intercooler elbow though. I have also never had a truck with a "big" turbo like this. I came from a 6.4 so I am used to zero lag.

And of course videos will be coming! You didn't think I'd leave you hanging did you?

EDIT: Let me know the result of tightening your clamps.

Last edited:

f100cleveland

Reaction score

I haven't ran Midwest's SCT tunes but I have ran other SCT tunes and I agree that they feel better, more refined, than the H&S stuff. I wish more people tuned on the SCT but most prefer the H&S. Having Morgan's H&S tunes, I'd love to compare against his SCT, but I don't think it's a 300-400 dollar gamble I wanna take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I haven't ran Midwest's SCT tunes but I have ran other SCT tunes and I agree that they feel better, more refined, than the H&S stuff. I wish more people tuned on the SCT but most prefer the H&S. Having Morgan's H&S tunes, I'd love to compare against his SCT, but I don't think it's a 300-400 dollar gamble I wanna take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure even Morgan prefers the H&S MCC from a post I read somewhere...

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
what tuning platform are the Midwest Streetmax Tunes on? I currently have SCT and was looking at getting an EZ Lynk but didn't want to if my turbo upgrade choice of the Streetmax wasn't supported by the EZ Lynk platform

JRLott

Reaction score
I know you have H&S MM as an option and I think you can get SCT from them. EZ would give you Spar and probably several other options.

bpan

Reaction score
what tuning platform are the Midwest Streetmax Tunes on? I currently have SCT and was looking at getting an EZ Lynk but didn't want to if my turbo upgrade choice of the Streetmax wasn't supported by the EZ Lynk platform

The EZ Lynk is fairly new. Im sure GH and Midwest and Tyrant will jump on board fairly soon. I also think the EZ Lynk has a lot of room for development and if your looking for a tuner to buy it is probably a very good choice.

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
The EZ Lynk is fairly new. Im sure GH and Midwest and Tyrant will jump on board fairly soon. I also think the EZ Lynk has a lot of room for development and if your looking for a tuner to buy it is probably a very good choice.

I've already got an SCT X4 with PIP tunes on it and I like them. I just wasn't sure if Midwest would ever offer their streetmax turbo tunes on the EZ Lynk platform eventually. I agree completely it seems that it's a better platform; I just don't want to buy the EZ Lynk only to find out it's incompatible with the streetmax turbo specific tunes that are offered

jcain

Reaction score
Ppei has cals for it on Ezlynk

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online