Supercharged 7.3

Charles

Reaction score
In my personal experience (I've run both BD's and BI's with 5, 7 and IIRC even 6 holers) the B codes feel like a skid-steer in terms of speed. They take off fast, making you think they will be awesome, then you realize that's all they have as you tool along at 7mph because they were already maxed out. The hybrid on the other hand would be a side-by-side that pulls all the way out to say 65mph.

For me, the B's are crisp and rattly down low for a given state of tune, but lay over, and the hybrids can have a tiny bit of icp added down low to pick up the bottom and with the exact same settings up top they will just walk right off the other side of the tach. The B's can't be made to keep up on the top because they require more oil for every single cc injected, and oil is in fact the limitation for a Heui injector.

This is why A's are junk for anything but a 7thou nozzle.

Bonus is that the hybrid needs no other supporting components.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Also do you realize that the 5 hole spray pattern isn't correct for this engine? You will get a spray pattern that is outside the bowl. We are just trying to help you here... some giving the advice here are telling you based on first-hand accounts... also an 80% nozzle on a hybrid can easily generate over 1200 ft-lbs of torque down low which is enough to totally destroy a PMR motor and is what I would call it the limit on a stock forged rod engine....

Last edited:

bruce

Reaction score
If you want to waste 2000 dollars on b-codes i'll pm you my address or paypal so you can just send it to me. You're gonna have 100k wrapped up in this project by the time you get done. Hypermax block, yada, yada, yada, all in front of a zf-5, LOL.

superpsd

Reaction score
As far as I had read one of the holes spray pattern ends up at the edge of the bowl. If I like BDs I can nozzle then correctly afterwards but why spend money on nozzles to find out I don't like the BDs. I don't need 1200 ft lbs I am running the ZF5. With all the Talk about BD codes being worthless yet a few have put some big power down with BD codes? I don't pull or race so maybe the ZF5 will hold together considering I don't really tow and haul much and don't launch it. Torque kills but shock loading seems to tear stuff up quicker. I don't need a hypermax block lol. I doubt I will ever surpass 600 if that. ZF5 would not even hold the torque at that point.

I will still have my A codes to send in to have hybrids built should the BDs not do what I want.

Last edited:

2000wa250

Reaction score
If you don't haul, or pull, then why are you going after low end torque?

Kinda curious....

IMO when one of the best tuners in the 7.3 world, and two of the most knowledgeable guys from a first hand experience basis, both tell you the same thing, well I think that's saying something.

Must be nice to have 2k to basically test run something.

Also, spray at the edge of the bowl becomes outside the bowl when timing is changed. No bueno.

superpsd

Reaction score
If you don't haul, or pull, then why are you going after low end torque?

Must be nice to have 2k to basically test run something.

Also, spray at the edge of the bowl becomes outside the bowl when timing is changed. No bueno.

Daily driven street truck. Gets me to work and doubles as the hunting rig/play truck. Many have ran the stock BDs and BIs as is without any major downside. In fact it was JDUB that stated he rather have a stock BD for a street truck over a hybrid. That may be how the truck was tuned I am not sure. I'm willing to give it a shot. I can also spin the blower faster latter to cure any smoke issues. It's currently only spinning 11,000 ish rpm with a red line of 19,000

Stumbled across this while looking for a 550 gallon fuel tank of all things...

http://athensga.craigslist.org/grd/4850246166.html

Way too much for me 600 @ 50 a core. I have 6 for 240 shipped with no core needed. They are still on the way. I already found 6 more for about the same price.

I am going to figure out big oil first then probably run the BI injectors as that's cheaper. I will wait until I find a good deal on 7 more BDs. Was kicking the idea around of belt driving a haldex pump but not too sure about that yet. Would be cheap oil if it worked.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Also what are these "oil mods" that are done to B codes. Is it along the line of milling out the oil passages?

Anyways there is still a lot to be done on this setup. It's been pretty much on pause as I have been working a lot and the weather is **** and my garage is completely full lol

Last edited:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Man... I mean no disrespect but these guys telling you to go with a hybrid have literally been there and done that and fought with the issues of a oil guzzling injector.

I see what your doing tho and it will work. Just be ready to spend all the money your saving on cheap injectors for tuning to make then function and run right. So it will wind up being a wash in savings.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Was kicking the idea around of belt driving a haldex pump but not too sure about that yet. Would be cheap oil if it worked.

It works.

Do that with hybrids, 200% tips, and custom tuning. All the torque you will ever need.

Hybrids are capable of more down low torque than b-codes. They use less oil, so they can ramp the pressure up faster, at high pressures hybrids deliver more fuel all things being equal.

superpsd

Reaction score
Man... I mean no disrespect but these guys telling you to go with a hybrid have literally been there and done that and fought with the issues of a oil guzzling injector.

I see what your doing tho and it will work. Just be ready to spend all the money your saving on cheap injectors for tuning to make then function and run right. So it will wind up being a wash in savings.

I do understand that. If I can't find a decent price on BDs in the end I may go with a hybrid. I have Hydra and Minotaur to tune with.

It works.

Do that with hybrids, 200% tips, and custom tuning. All the torque you will ever need.

Hybrids are capable of more down low torque than b-codes. They use less oil, so they can ramp the pressure up faster, at high pressures hybrids deliver more fuel all things being equal.

What about modified B codes. I've read they have the oil mods to overcome that issue? I will just try the BI codes first. So far I'm only 240$ in on 6 used injectors. May buy 6 more used. I also found a couple of new alliants at a good price. The BIs will likely be short lived. Then I will still have my AAs to turn in for hybrids. Whatever I run it is still a big jump from the stock AA injectors.

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
What about modified B codes. I've read they have the oil mods to overcome that issue? I will just try the BI codes first. So far I'm only 240$ in on 6 used injectors. May buy 6 more used. I also found a couple of new alliants at a good price. The BIs will likely be short lived. Then I will still have my AAs to turn in for hybrids. Whatever I run it is still a big jump from the stock AA injectors.

Perhaps you didn't read correctly: Use HYBRIDS.

Sell the 6 b-codes you have to someone else with similar delusions of grandeur.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Self tuning b codes with 5 hole nozzles.... all I gotta say man is I hope you have your timing right, other wise pop goes the piston/block. You're mixing torque down low with self tuning and nozzles that don't keep all of their fuel in the bowl with stock calibrations....

Good luck man. Hopefully it works out for you.

superpsd

Reaction score
Well I should have the other set of BIs coming so I will have 12 to pick thru. I may tear them down and go thru them. Also reading threads from way back guys had welded the split shot ports shut I may look at that. While I am in there I may nozzle them.

Last edited:

Gearhead

Reaction score
Well I should have the other set of BIs coming so I will have 12 to pick thru. I may tear them down and go thru them. Also reading threads from way back guys had welded the split shot ports shut I may look at that. While I am in there I may nozzle them.

Just don't warp the barrels....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.