Swapping in a 6.4L?

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I have actually changed plans. Like 3 times this week. lol My 05 is an extended cab, and I was told all my suspension parts will transfer off my 05 to an 08. So I found a crew cab XL 4x4 2008 with 217k miles on it for 8500.00. So I plan on taking the axles(70k on em), lift, rims, and tires off of the 05 and putting them on the 08. Ordering a long block from Performance Machine and MFG, and getting a new T/C, imjectors, fass, and HPFP. Then I will buy better interior and power windows and all that. Seems like a good plan, I hope.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
I would think not because the 7.3 bell housing is set for a BBF and the 6.4 is for a SBF

Sent by my Nexus powered by this (╯°□°)╯

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I have a 03 6.0 that Im getting ready to put a 6.4 in it. I have the motor. I just got a quote for all the computer/ wiring. Also a dash and steering wheel assembly for $1500. Im going to keep my 6 speed in it for now. I will post u problems i run into along the way. Good luck with your build.

Rear cover on a 6.4 is different auto/manual. The 6.0 one is as well. Just an FYI

sidwaz

Reaction score
Has anyone started this yet? I went by a wrecker today to check out the firewall differences. I see the 08+ PCM mounts top right left of the firewall right below the cowl. Does a section of the firewall need to be spliced in or can the earlier one be modified? I plan on swapping complete harness, interior, and dash. I want all of the heater and A/C to work as factory.

fordman2121

Reaction score
I havent started yet but been saving and waiting to get caught up. I've found a wrecked low mileage 08. I will be swapping everything including the dash and front suspension into the wife's excursion. I think I can do it for less then or the same price as the rice of the wrecked truck. Wife is finally giving me the go ahead on it.

Cr500

Reaction score
I was doing a search on Internet and saw this. Not one for forums but figured I may have some input on this.
I have a small business that specializes in diesel powered ford trucks. At one time or another I have converted these trucks any which way, but only recently a 6.4 into something else.
Have a customer with a nice 06 that had a rod bolt come loose and ruin lower end. He has a 08 that I've done some nice things too and he really wanted a 6.4 for this 06.
Just some info,
A 6.0 fits in a 94-97 just fine. To make motor fit you need the auto cross member, but you do need to fab your own engine mounts. The cradle is offset on the old frames.
6.0s and 6.4s are dimensionally almost the same, other that the obvious.
You can interchange trannies on 03-10, 6.4 has 8 bolt converter vs 6 on the 6.0. The shift cable bracket is different between 6.0/ 6.4 but interchange.
6.0s are nice to swap wiring wise. There really isn't much to it. The harness is modular, in the end there are 3 plugs to connect a 6.0 to a chassis. If an auto, it has its own stand alone harness. It has 2 connections that need to be spliced into a chassis. From a wiring standpoint, 7.3s require more effort, as everything is molded into chassis harness.
On my project, I just bolted on the 6.0 mounts to the 6.4. It is/ was an auto, but used the low mile trains from donor. Changed shift cable bracket.
The 6.4 trans computer is on the trans/ tcase harness, and in the end it has one main connector up top. So that one connector gets spliced into the 2 on the 6.0 chassis harness.
I have drawn up a diagram, but won't finish this part of it until early next week.
As far as things like ac, power steering, etc, the only 6.4 accessory you can't use is the ac compressor. The 6.4 comp is longer than the old model, they bolt in same location but with the6.0 engine mounts the 6.4 can't be used.
You would use the 6.0 comp, and a 05-07 line/ manifold assembly. 03-04 won't work due to the routing of the suction line. The compactness of the 05-07 works good getting around the 6.4 alt.
The ac coil plug needs to be swapped to earlier, high side switch connector needs to be lengthened about 4 inches, and the high side outlet to condenser line needs about 8 inches more. On the coil plug, if left where it normally is you will need to trim a tiny section of the alt bracket. Or you could remove coil and clock 90 degrees counter clockwise to change where plug is. Grinding the bracket takes seconds.
Even though the6.4 ac takes a 6 rib and the older is 8, it all works fine. The forward two grooves are empty. Also the older has a larger pulley, it still works with one belt and just barely clears alt bracket. The slower pulley ratio won't effect anything negatively.
Use the 6.0 trans dipstick, and it barely gets tweaked to mount on same stud on motor as if it were the original. I welded a tab to it and mounted the glow plug relay to it, so I could remove the mess of brackets on p side cover.
Like someone mentioned the 6.4 PCM will fit in the firewall blank. It will need slight work to fit. Gas PCM is not as thick, so the bottom part of hole needs to be opened up about 1/8". But it all works better when PCM is mounted upside down, so another 1/8 needs to be trimmed so it can be bolted in. Use the 6.4 studs/ nuts to hold down. Mounting upside down puts the engine connector on left, chassis connector on right.
On the steering it will need new suction/ pressure lines for pump. I had the 6.4 stuff, so used the pressure hose, but made new inlet line. If I didn't already have would rather just make the pressure line, the 6.4 one is a mess.

Last edited:

Cr500

Reaction score
As far as firewall clearance, I think the 6.4 fits better in the old chassis than new. I always build a new p side up pipe to remove egr mess, but even if all the stock garbage was left it would still have more room. The p side valve cover is close to the ac box, but I don't think anymore than the old. In some ways a 6.0 has a bulkier rocker/ valve cover due to everything sitting square. The 6.4 is offset, maybe it's a wash.

As far as swapping a newer dash in, you would need to cut the firewall on the old cab. Since the new has all ac/ heater parts inside the firewall on new is further forward in that area. Technically the entire 6.4 firewall is different all the way across, but none of the other stuff matters. Wiring the dash may be tricky due to the fuse box being on p side kick panel. Probably not a big deal. The only would be on your 6.0 you have more power stuff due to the idm. In that respect that is also why wiring wise converting a 6.4 would be an easier task than the older stuff. In my case with this newer engine in older chassis I will have relays/ circuits that will now be dead. Maybe they can find life doing something else.

fordman2121

Reaction score
That is some great info Cr500! Its good news that 6.4 swaps are happening as well.

I had stated eairler about swapping it in the ex. but the wife keeps changing her mind. So Im thinking of my 89 f350 could use a new drivetrain when I put the rust free body and bed on it.

Cr500

Reaction score
You have some work ahead of you sounds like!
It would be super easy to do what you were originally thinking. Then take the old engine/ trans from your excursion, put 94-97 mounts/ brackets on and slide it in the 89. You could pretty much make a 7.3 conversion a bolt on deal. Just rob the dash/ harness stuff from 94-97, no weirdness making dash work or anything. A diesel core support would be the only big part that would ease things.
On your excursion, engine wise normal stuff, you'd need a few misc 6.0 parts, but you'd need a can bus cluster to make life easy. Nice thing is you can take your pick of cluster, use 03-04 6.0, or 05-07. You'd lose the oem anti theft stuff on excursion though.
My swap requires no changes in the cab due to the 06 already being a can bus vehicle. Your 7.3 has the old ubp stuff, it talks different language than can bus.
You can talk your wife into it by telling here it would be quieter with the 6.4.

rrdble

Reaction score
swap

I have a 99 superduty I want to swap everything to a v10 excursion. . How much would this cost @cr500

Latest posts

Members online