Switching Tuners?

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
I have done DP, have PHP and am thinking about trying another.
What do you guys recommend in the way of who to go with? And why?

Things I want to accomplish:
1) Reliability. My engine doesnt need a skylight.
2) No big mods planned.
3) Efficiency. Not expecting huge gains obviously. Just trying not to LOSE.

I am contemplating getting aa TS burner so I can keep my current toons and play around. Thoughts?

johnholman

Reaction score
Gearhead. My truck runs better than it ever has. Engine runs smooth and not a lot of smoke. A lot of people consider him the "safest" tuner as far as PMRs go.

JD3020

Reaction score
I'd have to say try Matt's(Gearhead) tunes. Good power, good fuel economy, very little smoke, power is very controllable. One day i was pulling a load of straw in the race tune and didn't realize until i hit a hill, and noticed a heavy haze and EGT's crept up. Of course i was also driving like i had a load behind me so i wasn't leaning into the throttle a whole lot.

Petro

Reaction score
:whs: Gearhead. Several of my Buddies are running his tunes, all have nothing but good thing to say about them. Trucks run great with minimal smoke. He is very good at keeping PMR engines together.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Jonathan Jones or aka beans tunes. Great power and will work with you until your tunes are exactly how you want them. Everybody who owns a 7.3 should try his tunes at least once. IMO.

I have run his tunes on everything from stock obs trucks to 300/200s and lots of stuff in between.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
Well, this seems pretty decisive. But I still welcome input.
As far as Gearhead goes, how do I go about getting in touch with him? And do I need custom tunes from him or are his default tunes good.

Last edited:

Denver

Reaction score
I called the number on his website. I spoke with Larz and a week later I had a chip.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
How much are you guys paying? I already have a TS chip from PHP and I would prefer to save some cash by sending it to him and having it reburned. But of course I could always sell it if I had to.

And are you guys getting the basic tunes he has listed on his website? Or the "custom tunes." I would imagine the custom ones are live tuned?

Last edited:

02BigD

Reaction score
Another for Matt's tunes. I've tried just about everyone, and his are the most refined for DD use, while still putting down mid 500 hp. Oh yeah, he's keeping David N's PMR motor alive, and that guy works that truck.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Trey,

I believe that with the PHP chip you have to have the PHP burner...not sure though

ToMang07

Reaction score
Trey,

I believe that with the PHP chip you have to have the PHP burner...not sure though

No. The PHP burner is just a TS Chip burner. ANd PHP's tunes are non-proprietary. You can buy/load other tuner's tune with the burner.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I'll throw in another vote for Matt's tunes. I've been very happy with his customer service and the tunes. Very daily driver friendly and pretty much smoke free. I can't think of anything in the tunes I have from him I would change right now.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I love beans tunes... they seem to put down the best hp/tq/curve from the dyno's I've ever seen.

Latest posts

Members online