thoughts

OSCS

Reaction score
OCSC

Id look at each part of your build as an individual component and decide if its gain/benefit is worth the cost.

Crower rods...do what for your goals? Girdle...does what for your goals? Main studs...again what is its function...same with block fill...fire rings...and so on. What do each of those cost vs what they contribute.

It does add up. After you pull the motor once or twice those costs will seem small IF they would saved you that trouble.

Forums are fun..and are great for perspective...but talking with folks (like you posted you have already) that actually have experience with what works and what doesn't...that would be what id make decisions around. Example...the DI compound thread...of all the feedback posted...how many actually had ever even ridden in a 7.3 compound truck.

Thuglike didnt run a girdle last I remember asking him. According to the hp list, that looked to be good for some pretty respectable power #s.

I think an honest assessment of the goal/intended use of the truck would go far into seeing your money well spent.

It doesn't help that the 7.3 is one of the more pricey $$$ to hp ratio platforms to build
on.

Hope that helps...no answers..just questions you can answer for yourself.

Good luck. Interested to see what you decide.

For my perspective.....what's a running p7100 DT360 or a 12v cost in Houston?

Lots of thinking to do V ref that's for sure, thanks for the post. A certain someone on the boards had me thinking about dt360 but they are still quite pricey. You wouldn't happen to know what kind of mileage they bring would you? This will be my dd

Last edited:

joedown

Reaction score
Another... Meaning more then the one that is in the scrap pile behind Davids shop... its green...

I will continue to run OBS or 99 motors until I dont feel like driving a 7.3 anymore.

What's so great about an OBS or 99? I'd love to have a 00 or later in my truck.

OSCS

Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between arps grey "stuff" that goes on the threads and "never seez" never seez says its good up to 1800degrees and prevents against corrosion, pitting and rusting. I'm going to drop my old arps in the new block and don't want to buy something I already have.

TARM

Reaction score
All I have is there head stud ultra lube stuff. If you need that I bought a bottle instead of hoping the small tubes were enough. I could mail it to you but if you can get it locally not sure it would be saving you anything.

OSCS

Reaction score
All I have is there head stud ultra lube stuff. If you need that I bought a bottle instead of hoping the small tubes were enough. I could mail it to you but if you can get it locally not sure it would be saving you anything.

I appreciate that tarm I will keep you in mind.

TARM

Reaction score
No worries just let me know and I will throw it in the mail to ya.

OSCS

Reaction score
Well I decided against spending all my lunch money on a rebuilt motor. Picking up a 70k l99 long block from Seth and its going in the truck hopefully by the end of October with my same mods in it. Round two! I'm going to go ahead and try out Matt's tunes as I haven't heard of anyone snapping a rod on his watch.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
If you let him set it you will have a good chance but anything can happen. He has a very good track record.

OSCS

Reaction score
If you let him set it you will have a good chance but anything can happen. He has a very good track record.

Yup! Ill have him live tune it conservatively around the 490-500 mark and keep my fingers crossed. I'm hoping the live tune will bring some more insurance to the table. Luckily he is only 45 min from where I live

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Yup! Ill have him live tune it conservatively around the 490-500 mark and keep my fingers crossed. I'm hoping the live tune will bring some more insurance to the table. Luckily he is only 45 min from where I live

He has people pushing that on pmrs. :lookaround: you should be safe with him tuning on a forged motor.

TARM

Reaction score
Just follow his advice. He is very good at keep these thing alive with good power.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
That's what I would do. Me and a few others are pushing 500 or above on pmrs on matts tuning. I don't want to jinx myself since I haven't ran the setup long but the others have done it for a while. I feel that matt takes a lot of the risk out of the higher hp setups. With his mail tunes you may not high max hp potential vs a live tune, but you know for sure that his tunes are safer via mail than most.

OSCS

Reaction score
That's what I would do. Me and a few others are pushing 500 or above on pmrs on matts tuning. I don't want to jinx myself since I haven't ran the setup long but the others have done it for a while. I feel that matt takes a lot of the risk out of the higher hp setups. With his mail tunes you may not high max hp potential vs a live tune, but you know for sure that his tunes are safer via mail than most.

Well he's only like 45 minutes from me so I'm going to schedule a live tune and try to get as much reliable HP as I can.

Latest posts

Members online