Thx K & N !

racerdad2

Reaction score
Geez. I've totally spaced on cleaning my air filter for several years. It was nice & warm yesterday. 38° F. I decided to clean out the truck & do miscl maintenance. Took out the air filter for a look-see. Geez ! Caked on layers of bugs & goo. Don't know how she was breathing :) Gave it a good bath, several times. Let her dry & oiled her. Dang ! Runs like new :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Reaction score
Geez. I've totally spaced on cleaning my air filter for several years. It was nice & warm yesterday. 38° F. I decided to clean out the truck & do miscl maintenance. Took out the air filter for a look-see. Geez ! Caked on layers of bugs & goo. Don't know how she was breathing :) Gave it a good bath, several times. Let her dry & oiled her. Dang ! Runs like new :)

This is pretty much an all-around "I'm a dub!" thread.

Uh...congrats?

JCart

Reaction score

Be very careful with the K&N filter..... not bashing K&N as I run them on my ATV, wife's Honda car etc. With large displacement, forced induction engines would not recommend. I used to run them on my first 96 power stroke and the problem is fine dust will make it through the filter and be ingested into the engine.... not good. As a test take a clean white rag and wipe down the inside of the intake pipe between the filter and turbo..... my guess is you'll find dust there, that is why I stopped using K&N for my power strokes. These engines pull so much air you need really better filtration. I have since gone to a paper Donaldson Filter and it shows not one lick of dust....even if I forget to change out the filter.

jrc

Zmann

Reaction score
large displacement forced induction or just naturally aspirated small cubic inch
K&N sucks and the worst thing the OP did was clean it now the bugs and dirt that were the pre filter are gone

racerdad2

Reaction score
Well, ok then.... I've got 300k on the engine & she runs strong. The intake tube is clean. I'll look for a Donaldson. One advantage I have, I rarely run in dust storms. The only dirt she sees is in the pits on race weekends :)

Zmann

Reaction score
that is probably the saving grace for your motor

no dust available LOL
but also they admit they filter better when the dirt is stuck to the element and darn it you cleaned it off

Atsah

Reaction score
the worst thing the OP did was clean it now the bugs and dirt that were the pre filter are gone

LOL

I have used them in the past without engine damage but they do let dirt into the intake and to me, oiling and cleaning something that doesn't work very well is a waste of time to begin with..

OP, It doesn't matter if you don't drive it in dusty conditions, there is dust that comes off the hardtop you can't see no matter what the conditions..

racerdad2

Reaction score
Looks like the K & N and my racing have much in common.... "I'd rather be lucky than good."

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Total myth on the K&Ns. Been running a K&N open air filter since day one. Also do oil analysis with no silica (dirt).

Where all this K&N drama start is from the drop inreplacement K&N filter for the OEM airbox. K&N stated in their instructions that grease needed to be placed on the edges of the filter and most were not doing it.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Trust me. Its not just the drop in filters... I had a drop in and my brother had a complete kit. both let dirt in. I pitched mine did not even want to sell it. Why sell junk? I would not even have gave it away.

There has been problems with drop ins and full replacement kits.. TO say it is only drop ins is a near sighted.

jngreen

Reaction score
K&N states that they filter better when they are dirty. I don't think they are a bad product, they are more of a performance product. My dad has had a drop in filter from K&N with 200,000 miles on his 99, so I don't think that they are the engine killer everyone makes them out to be.

Atsah

Reaction score
Total myth on the K&Ns.

Nope, it isn't but it is hyped up..

As I said, I used them for many years without issue but they don't filter as well as some other filters do, they make it sound good but there are better filters available..

I cleaned and oiled my filters every oil change and there was still dirt in the intake.. I left my 6.0's with the donaldson intact and never did I see dirt in the intake tube and that was with 10lbs of dirt in the filter..

Zmann

Reaction score
, so I don't think that they are the engine killer everyone makes them out to be.

dirt is an engine killer
K&N lets dirt in to the motor

= K&N is the engine killer people make it out to be :poke:

I know for a fact that 2 like intakes one with K&N one with a paper element Fram filter and only the K&N had MAF codes do to dusting and the actual intake was dusty this was a new K&N pre oiled

this side by side comparison was on a particular intake with a screw down filter housing and perimeter gasket

AKA no dust can sneak past the seal it was all filter performance or lack of it
mcleAkJvTjWVV_MGldCp1iA.jpg

Atsah

Reaction score
only the K&N had MAF codes

I forgot about the MAF codes... A film of oil would get on the sensor and set codes.. And before anyone says I put to much on the filter, I put what it asked for..

Between the dirt in the intake, MAF codes and having to clean, dry and oil it all the time, it's a POS...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Need to dig up my old thread about the 6637s vs all the other cone filters I have tried. I refuse to run a cone filter on a faorced induction engine, oiled or dry...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online