Thx K & N !

jngreen

Reaction score
Nope, it isn't but it is hyped up..

As I said, I used them for many years without issue but they don't filter as well as some other filters do, they make it sound good but there are better filters available..

I cleaned and oiled my filters every oil change and there was still dirt in the intake.. I left my 6.0's with the donaldson intact and never did I see dirt in the intake tube and that was with 10lbs of dirt in the filter..

That's because filters work better when they are dirty.

Atsah

Reaction score

Yes it's proven that k&N filters work better with added debris, they need something to fill in the holes.. I should have never followed K&N's service directions to clean and oil the filter, My mistake...

They should come from the factory covered in dirt.. :doh:

racerdad2

Reaction score
Great aftermarket business... sell bags of K & N factory approved dirt improver $$$

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Magnum PD

Reaction score
My drop in K&N filter ruined one turbo and dusted my engine. (Low compression).

:flipa: You K&N!

Zmann

Reaction score

you needed to clarify it would have saved you from the wrath LOL
K&N works better with a dirt layer it's stated as such by them

most good filters like Donaldson or any Decent filter does not need dirt to pre filter on it's behalf

jngreen

Reaction score

Thanks for your submission of "Dumbest Post of the Day."

Your submission has been accepted and voted unanimously the winner!

Voted unanimously by one single retard, lol, thanks. Who has the dumbest post of the day? You guys take this bandwagon **** too seriously. For the record, I have never used a K&N on a diesel, but I know people who have, and they never had any issues.

jngreen

Reaction score
you needed to clarify it would have saved you from the wrath LOL
K&N works better with a dirt layer it's stated as such by them

most good filters like Donaldson or any Decent filter does not need dirt to pre filter on it's behalf

What do I need to clarify? What I said is technically correct. I'm not concerned about any "wrath". Lol
I had a 6637 on my 7.3, and it filtered the air better when it was dirty too. How could it not, lol, there is literally less space for the air to get through when a filter is covered in dirt and leaves and such.

Last edited:

jngreen

Reaction score
Yes it's proven that k&N filters work better with added debris, they need something to fill in the holes.. I should have never followed K&N's service directions to clean and oil the filter, My mistake...

They should come from the factory covered in dirt.. :doh:

I thought you just said that you used them for years without issues, so what's the problem? I never stated that they are the best filter out there. As far as that goes, I don't expect any reusable filter to filter better than everything else available.

Freightshaker

Reaction score
Filters are always filter better as they stack debris. When I put a new filter in my furnace I leave the plastic wrapper on it and it never gets dirty. Ever so often I have to pull it out and wipe the plastic down but the filter is still clean! Ford filters for my truck dont come with plastic wrap just a box. I can't fit the cardboard box in the airbox but I will try to adjust it somehow. I hear some dodge cummins owners keep their filters clean with plastic bags.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I could put a plastic bag around the 6637 filter. Never get dirty. Sweet.

jngreen

Reaction score
Filters are always filter better as they stack debris. When I put a new filter in my furnace I leave the plastic wrapper on it and it never gets dirty. Ever so often I have to pull it out and wipe the plastic down but the filter is still clean! Ford filters for my truck dont come with plastic wrap just a box. I can't fit the cardboard box in the airbox but I will try to adjust it somehow. I hear some dodge cummins owners keep their filters clean with plastic bags.

Be careful with that statement, you might get the "wrath", lol.

Zmann

Reaction score

you soooo fuuunny !! :thumbsup:

Zmann

Reaction score
What do I need to clarify? What I said is technically correct. I'm not concerned about any "wrath". Lol
I had a 6637 on my 7.3, and it filtered the air better when it was dirty too. How could it not, lol, there is literally less space for the air to get through when a filter is covered in dirt and leaves and such.
your correct you don't need to clarify

carry on :thumbsup:

79jasper

Reaction score
Factory airboxes on the obs 7.3's aren't any good either.
Still wouldn't use a k&n.

Ask me how I know...

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

racerdad2

Reaction score
Alrighty, then... What's the Best airbox & filter combo ? I have the stock box. It looks too small to allow good airflow. What say y'all ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Atsah

Reaction score
I thought you just said that you used them for years without issues, so what's the problem?

Yes and I said I saw dirt in the intake tube.. The problem is they don't filter well, they set MAF codes and they are a PIA to take out and clean, it doesn't do a good job at what's it's there to do..

You may as well give up on this, there are to many smart people around here to try and convince them a truck intake filter works best when it's full of dirt..

ToMang07

Reaction score
Yes and I said I saw dirt in the intake tube.. The problem is they don't filter well, they set MAF codes and they are a PIA to take out and clean, it doesn't do a good job at what's it's there to do..

You may as well give up on this, there are to many smart people around here to try and convince them a truck intake filter works best when it's full of dirt..

Seriously. :clapping:

Just because an engine DIDN'T blow up doesn't mean it's good for it, lol

K&N filters suck for forced induction, high compression engines. Like it or not.

mandkole

Reaction score
The AFE gauze media products fall in the same boat. Filtration and flow can be a tradeoff...I always do the white rag test in the intake pipe to make sure no issues at service time.

Gotta agree with Billy-- theres more to the early K&N stories than just the media.

Latest posts

Members online