Total Cost to.....

TyCorr

Reaction score
Since the rearend is driveline, I put this here. If there is a more appropriate section feel inclined to.move it. No worries.

My acquaintance got stuck last night in his e99 f350 eclb 7.3. He was atrempting to extract a plow truck from a ditch. He tried two alternate methods. Both sounded bad. Anyway, he's hellbent on the idea that a "locker" would solve his issues. I told him he doesnt want a locker. He's calling a detroit truetrac a locker.

So, he wants someone I know to do the work. I mentioned that the guy can do stuff like that and very well. He asked if he'd do it "on the side" im assuming that means for little to nothing. In my world it means i get the money versus my employers garage. Thats a different discussion.

Anyway to rebuild a srw f350 non LS axle and replace all the wear items and install the detroit trutrac what is a ballpark. Cost of the trutrac? Cost of extra parts needed? Cost of seals, bearing, gears, fluid, etc. I think the cost isis being underestimated.

TyCorr

Reaction score
He's "telling" me that they are $500. "I just looked on summit.com". Ok then, let me know how good of work Summit does.

I think Im gonna let him figure it out. He's thinking $7-800 total. I remember the first time I was high on BS :D

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
Since the rearend is driveline, I put this here. If there is a more appropriate section feel inclined to.move it. No worries.

My acquaintance got stuck last night in his e99 f350 eclb 7.3. He was atrempting to extract a plow truck from a ditch. He tried two alternate methods. Both sounded bad. Anyway, he's hellbent on the idea that a "locker" would solve his issues. I told him he doesnt want a locker. He's calling a detroit truetrac a locker.

So, he wants someone I know to do the work. I mentioned that the guy can do stuff like that and very well. He asked if he'd do it "on the side" im assuming that means for little to nothing. In my world it means i get the money versus my employers garage. Thats a different discussion.

Anyway to rebuild a srw f350 non LS axle and replace all the wear items and install the detroit trutrac what is a ballpark. Cost of the trutrac? Cost of extra parts needed? Cost of seals, bearing, gears, fluid, etc. I think the cost isis being underestimated.

Would you be talking about Kyle?
I know he's been talking about a truetrac for awhile now, I told him ARB would be a better option. and it won't be cheap to buy it and get it installed. I told him to fill his bed with any kind of weight he can and it will help with traction

dsberman94

Reaction score
the truetrac is around $500 on summit. that doesn't include any other costs though thats just the unit. doesn't really matter who is selling it for what price its just summit got a better price on the item than other retailers. a no-slip would be a better option that a trutrac.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im just trying to get numbers together. I dont wanna be the bad guy but under a grand aint gonna happen. Its an expensive-ish upgrade and not something you "have someone"do. Pay it done right the first time.

I had a place in Hinckley rebuild my axles in my 03 back in the fall of 05 and put trutrac's in and it was 2 grand per end. But I realize thats high even by todays standards. Thing is my buddy owns my old truck and its still going strong with 342k mileson it. He ran it with ad's and a 120hp banks chip and their gauges too as I sold it to him in 06. Its got stg 2's and kem tuning I believe. But he's not an enthusiast. Just a guy who uses his truck and that axle job I had done is still going well according to him.

I suspect the install is a huuge part of the success.

I dont want him to buy one and cheap out and then get a.shti install on top of it. Be better off leaving it alone.

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
if he got the best deals/free shipping on all items and a deal on labor id say your still at a bare minimum of $11-1200 (Truetrac) (detroil locker will be more) ( Elocker/ARB even more)

TyCorr

Reaction score
the truetrac is around $500 on summit. that doesn't include any other costs though thats just the unit. doesn't really matter who is selling it for what price its just summit got a better price on the item than other retailers. a no-slip would be a better option that a trutrac.

Yea but some guys that have been wrenching for twenty+ years dont.give a ***k ifyou can buy one at walmart for $200. Not everybody is ok with you.bringing your own.shti to.the table. I know I wouldnt. ***k that.

I put in windows and I know everything effects the end result so I dont put peoples lumberyard cheapies in. There are guys who do that shti, they're called windowworld or run and gun siding and windows.

Id rather him expect it to cost $1800 and it works great than have a flop job done for 800 and him bitching cuz it doesnt work. Capisce!?

TyCorr

Reaction score
if he got the best deals/free shipping on all items and a deal on labor id say your still at a bare minimum of $11-1200 (Truetrac) (detroil locker will be more) ( Elocker/ARB even more)

Thats what Im saying. He hasnt anyone that CAN do it. So he asked, as I was fresh in his mind from needing pulled out of a ditch last night. The problem lies in the only guy I trust to do it is going to cost more. He's older and has had powerstrokes and now a cummins and a gearhead. He's meticulous and knows his stuff. The kind of guy you want to do the things you dont know how to.do properly.

Thats really all this thread was for. Im trying to see how high the guy is compared to others. For me, I paid two grand a number of years ago but satisfied so Im not complaining. Id take anythimeng else back there without hesitation. The guy Im trying to get him set up.with is.just as good and apparently is going to be.almost as.much.

It is what it is. If I wanted it done Id pay the 17-2000 and know its gonna be good to go.

Your numbers are pretty much inline.with what Id expect.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Yea but some guys that have been wrenching for twenty+ years dont.give a ***k ifyou can buy one at walmart for $200. Not everybody is ok with you.bringing your own.shti to.the table. I know I wouldnt. ***k that.

I put in windows and I know everything effects the end result so I dont put peoples lumberyard cheapies in. There are guys who do that shti, they're called windowworld or run and gun siding and windows.

Id rather him expect it to cost $1800 and it works great than have a flop job done for 800 and him bitching cuz it doesnt work. Capisce!?

i get what your saying. pretty much everywhere around here doesn't have an issue with you getting your own parts. theres been one place that has said no to that and its tire places when a customer buys tires from tire rack. they will not mount them because its such an inconvenience for the customer if something is or goes bad with the tire. even body shops don't have an issue with customers getting their own parts. i do understand what your saying im just voicing my experiences.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea. I hear people doing stuff like.that but i dont know any "good" shops that will do that offhand. You think bts will put one of suncoasts billet forward drums in? I mean they're cheaper.

Im just seeing if my guy is high and he doesnt seem to be. Maybe a little more than someone else but since.nobody locally can do it at all, much less cheaper its pointless.

SickStroke6.0

Reaction score
Yea. I hear people doing stuff like.that but i dont know any "good" shops that will do that offhand. You think bts will put one of suncoasts billet forward drums in? I mean they're cheaper.

Im just seeing if my guy is high and he doesnt seem to be. Maybe a little more than someone else but since.nobody locally can do it at all, much less cheaper its pointless.

Difference is, your guy will be using the same exact parts. It's just cheaper for him to buy it. It's not like he's bringing subpar parts.

Most businesses I have found will match most online prices, since they get them at wholesale anyways.

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
I paid $450 an axle here in maryland at a very highly regaurded offroad shop but got quote as high as 800 an axle. Thats just labor. All 3 shops i called didnt care if i got my own parts. Thats was for gear install and trutracs

But i didnt have bs either factory ford geara and full install kits and truetracs.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Ive put 3 in my own trucks. Summit is the cheapest place you can get the trutrac. Around $550

I install new bearings and races and reuse the old shims. Seal on the axles are reuseable and RTV the cover back on.

75w-140 syn fluid 3ish qts. I end up with around $750 in it and about 4hrs in labor.

For the rear of the truck and what he is doing. The trutrac sounds like the perfect option.

Don't know if that helps or not, but at least its some real world info.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Difference is, your guy will be using the same exact parts. It's just cheaper for him to buy it. It's not like he's bringing subpar parts.

Most businesses I have found will match most online prices, since they get them at wholesale anyways.

Knowing this.guy, he'll be buying the cheapest stuff he can find if he.sources his own parts.

Latest posts

Members online