Tow pig idea WITH A CAT!!!!

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Way way too much work if you ask me none of the engines listed are worth swapping for

If you must, just do a cummins swap.

I personally feel it has been done a lot it is a successful and practical swap but I feel it is a you got one type. I would rather have something different but if it is that much of a hassle I will not consider it. I would also entertain the idea of a DT466 or a 360 I am just throwing around ideas looking for people sick of the dealer games to score a deal on a truck on the cheap.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Personally i just am not impressed with 3126/c7 3116 ect ect engines

and fwiw not all c7s are perkins engines

I work for a cat dealer fwiw

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
The 3116, 3126 and c-7 are all just a line of variations of the same engine. Just newer successions in the same line of engine as they evolved to meet emissions.

All those engines are like the 6.0 powerstoke of cats engine line.

As much as I like cat, there isn't one I would recommend to put in the time to swap. Maybe a c6.6 and they are not a power house and still have problems.

Doing a mechanical injection swap on a c-7 would be the equivalent to p-pumping a 6.0. Totally not worth it and would cost a small fortune.

In all reality I would consider an older dt466 before I would put a cat in.

Btw I worked for cat for 8 years building engines. Just my experiences.

If I do a swap Now a DT466 it is now!! I guess cat made a 6.0 how bad were they.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The 3126e and C7s have heui injection just like 7.3 and 6.0s depeding on the generation

I wouldnt say they are as bad as a 6.0 but they are kinda Cats 6.0 as far as having the most issues per unit built. Heui pumps fail, they take out all the injectors ect

Reaction score
The 6.6 is a Perkins. The 3126,3126, c-7 were cat. 7.1 common rail is a cat too I thought. I haven't been in the dealer world for a while so maybe they changed the 6.6 and just call the Perkins a c-7 now?

But yes dt360, 436 or 466 will work. Still unique. Just a lot cheaper, easier to work on and buy parts for.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The 6.6 is a Perkins. The 3126,3126, c-7 were cat. 7.1 common rail is a cat too I thought. I haven't been in the dealer world for a while so maybe they changed the 6.6 and just call the Perkins a c-7 now?

But yes dt360, 436 or 466 will work. Still unique. Just a lot cheaper, easier to work on and buy parts for.

The new C7 that got a DPF i think is a 6.6 renamed, but i know its perkins and its junk

co04cobra

Reaction score
What's your budget?

How much work does it take to put 650++ hp out of a DT360?

Brad.S.19

Reaction score

Cheap is good free is better food and delivery is heaven on earth = a extra two hands to help.

reis05

Reaction score
I'm not starting a pissing match I just cant believe that the c7s etc have that bad of a rep. Hell at the ford dealership we love working on the cats and very rarely seen them come in for any thing other than services and small oil leaks. Hell my girl friends dad has a freightliner box truck with a c7 with almost 500,000 and just put it first set of injectors in it.

Reaction score
I'm not starting a pissing match I just cant believe that the c7s etc have that bad of a rep. Hell at the ford dealership we love working on the cats and very rarely seen them come in for any thing other than services and small oil leaks. Hell my girl friends dad has a freightliner box truck with a c7 with almost 500,000 and just put it first set of injectors in it.

I guess we just saw a lot more of them being at the dealership. I've worked on a lot of them at our shop outside the dealership too.

I mean the 3116 is a mechanical unit injector with a rack that uses dial indicators on each injector to set it when replaced.

The 3126- c7 were heui injection soo not the best in a heavy duty environment.

And the newer commonrail stuff has proven to been even less reliable.

Cat made a lot of much better engines than their mid size 7 liter engines. Just not worth it in my experiences. And they DO NOT hold up well at 300hp +

ghohouston

Reaction score
What would you recommend?

All of the other listed motors. We had a few f650's with the c7's, some with and some without dpf's, all common rails, all major problems, and by far the oil leakingest motor ive ever seen, one blew a head gasket, a few injector problems, one got a motor, and alot of other stuff here and there, etc etc... and this was all within a year. They were ALWAYS in the shop, where as our newer 650's with the 6.7 cummins, aside from one fan clutch bearing hub failing and trashing the fan blades and intercooler, we havent really had any issues from them. My personal choice on a motor would be a dt360. Close in size to a 5.9 cummins, but is an absolute tank of a motor

reis05

Reaction score
I guess we just saw a lot more of them being at the dealership. I've worked on a lot of them at our shop outside the dealership too.

I mean the 3116 is a mechanical unit injector with a rack that uses dial indicators on each injector to set it when replaced.

The 3126- c7 were heui injection soo not the best in a heavy duty environment.

And the newer commonrail stuff has proven to been even less reliable.

Cat made a lot of much better engines than their mid size 7 liter engines. Just not worth it in my experiences. And they DO NOT hold up well at 300hp +

Yeah I never really had any dealings in the after market world with them. And I'm sure the number of trucks seen were a lot lower than yours. Sorry for the derail guys carry on.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It all depends we have a customer that has a 950H loader with a C9 (similar engine) Low hp, like 190hp and it went 20,000 hours between a replacement engine, and only ever had one injector put in. Customer is spot on about service tho and i attribute that to good maintaince

its at 29000 hours on the machine with not many repairs done to the core of the machine. It eats wire harnesses like crazy (amonium nitrate) but the basic machine is tough. So to a point the engines do get a bad rep but they also cant be pushed hard day in and day out

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.