tow tunes on 4-500hp trucks

always-strokin

Reaction score
Whats the difference between a tow tune and a hot setting? Is it mostly defueling to prevent massive egt's? Or are there timing differences, shifting differneces, TC lockup differences etc?

always-strokin

Reaction score
So whats wrong w/ towing in the hot setting, as long as you keep the egt's in check? Or will the timing/shifting differences of the tow-setting be far more advantageous than the flat power increase of the hot setting?

907DAVE

Reaction score
If you can keep it cool, there's no reason you shouldn't.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
My truck doesn't come out of the hot tune. unless it gets put in high idle. If you have a good enough tuner it's not a problem

David N

Reaction score
My truck doesn't come out of the hot tune. unless it gets put in high idle. If you have a good enough tuner it's not a problem

Same here. I've never felt the need to use my "tow" tune. Although it doesn't smoke at all under heavy load, I could really care less. But I really don't tow heavy with my truck anyways.

always-strokin

Reaction score
If you can keep it cool, there's no reason you shouldn't.

I heard cylinder pressures are higher in hot-tunes though?

Also to the people that dont take their chip out of the hot-tune, do you guys tow 10,000-15,000lbs ever?

TyCorr

Reaction score

Also to the people that dont take their chip out of the hot-tune, do you guys tow 10,000-15,000lbs ever?

Think about what you are saying. There are many different.throttle positions.than WOT. A good tune wont be much different than stock until half throttle. If you run your.shti flat to the floor and egts get hot then they'll be worse with a load. You know, you can just try it and if the egts get hotter than you like, you need a tune.with less fuel, a bigger.charger, or to take your foot off the throttle.

As these guys said, I see no reason to switch tunes. In fact, I ***kin hate it. Use the pedal to control fuel,egts, and smoke. Give it some or let off.

JD3020

Reaction score

It takes cylinder pressure to make power(fuel+timing), and theres more power in a hot tune. So there is more cylinder pressure in a hot tune....

FWIW i've towed a good bit in my race tune, but i have switched down a tune. Mainly because race wants to hold gears to long, and will lug it. And for some reason my truck is a laggy bitch so it gets hot quick once it starts lugging. Of course i can make it shift on my own, but if i'm hills/traffic where it might lug i knock it down a few tunes. Or if i'm too lazy to reach for the chip i just lock it out of OD and leave it. LOL

Now if i get Minotaur i'll hopefully only have 1 tune, and try to make it do everything i want. But most likely i'll go back to having a tow tune with higher shift points than the regular tune.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
But still having those tunes there are nice. For a couple of reasons. Loan your pickup to somebody?? Put it in the lowest tune you have and hid the switch. No need to have a friend out there beating your pickup up. Second reason would be for long trip towing where you would use the cruse. That way you can just set it and let it go and not worry about it.

Those are just a couple reason it IS handy to have different and lower tunes.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Unplug it ^ :rollseyes:

Honestly, at this point when guys ask to use my truck it'll be a emphatic "***k no, go rent one, it'll cost less." I gave up on letting people borrow anything of mine that drives. My dad goes 35 down the.highway but for some reason thinks its perfectly acceptable to beat the piss out of my truck. Tanya is.the only other registered user of my super duty.

always-strokin

Reaction score
I love when people baby their own cars but put the pedal down in somebody elses (MINE!). I tell them that **** costs $4.50/gallon, and that right pedals calling for quite some gallons right now!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
You just have to have the right friends.. If I asked them not to they would not do it. its that simple. Besides I like a chip for a lot of reasons.

You dont need a chip for anything just burn it right to your computer and you have it.
I just like the other options i get with a chip. AND the fact Depends on what you do one tune will not cover it all.....

neverkickn

Reaction score
You just have to have the right friends.. If I asked them not to they would not do it. its that simple. Besides I like a chip for a lot of reasons.

You dont need a chip for anything just burn it right to your computer and you have it.I just like the other options i get with a chip. AND the fact Depends on what you do one tune will not cover it all.....

You make it sound so easy. Is there more than one person that is doing that?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Unplug it ^ :rollseyes:

Honestly, at this point when guys ask to use my truck it'll be a emphatic "***k no, go rent one, it'll cost less." I gave up on letting people borrow anything of mine that drives. My dad goes 35 down the.highway but for some reason thinks its perfectly acceptable to beat the piss out of my truck. Tanya is.the only other registered user of my super duty.

i always tell my buddies that you wont do anything worse to it then i have! unless you melt it down or total it that is.... if you melt it down, its 4k$ outta your pocket.. if you wreck it make for dam sure its totalled... i have insurance to cover just about twice what its worth including mods...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.