Traction bars and drive shaft loops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
The fab skills look excellent - and driveshaft loops are always a good idea - but I couldn't help but notice that these loops don't meet the rules for most pulling organizations - for the pulling customers does he intend to make a setup that fits those rules? I'd love to have a place where I could send people to buy a product.

NADM's rules:
Driveshaft Loops: All trucks must have at least six inch wide u-joint shields around the rear ujoint
constructed of at least 1/4-inch steel or 3/8 inch aluminum that will safely contain the u-joint
and the end of the rear shaft. All shields must be securely mounted to the vehicle. Any front shaft
u-joint that is visible from the side of the truck must be shielded to contain the u-joint and the end
of the shaft.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
We can have that made as well. Just take some time to get the design worked out. Im going to be getting ahold of the people on the list to find out exactly what they need here with in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for bringing that up, I'm not really familiar with the pulling Industry.

SAK

Reaction score
The fab skills look excellent - and driveshaft loops are always a good idea - but I couldn't help but notice that these loops don't meet the rules for most pulling organizations - for the pulling customers does he intend to make a setup that fits those rules? I'd love to have a place where I could send people to buy a product.

NADM's rules:
Driveshaft Loops: All trucks must have at least six inch wide u-joint shields around the rear ujoint
constructed of at least 1/4-inch steel or 3/8 inch aluminum that will safely contain the u-joint
and the end of the rear shaft. All shields must be securely mounted to the vehicle. Any front shaft
u-joint that is visible from the side of the truck must be shielded to contain the u-joint and the end
of the shaft.

I understand that they want to contain the u-joint if it fails, but why not make it mandatory that there is a loop 360* around the drive shaft at the T-case/Trans and Carrier Bearing (if applicable) so that the drive shaft could not dig into the track?

gman1

Reaction score
I am interested in the drive shaft loops. Please put me on the list.
Are the rear 1 piece drive shaft loops and 2 piece drive shaft loops going to be the same incase some of us with a 2 piece convert over to a 1 piece drive shaft?

Zmann

Reaction score
I don't see how since the 2 piece would sit at the carrier ??

then again I have never looked at the 1 piece

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I am interested in the drive shaft loops. Please put me on the list.
Are the rear 1 piece drive shaft loops and 2 piece drive shaft loops going to be the same incase some of us with a 2 piece convert over to a 1 piece drive shaft?

no they will be different... the 2 piece goes on the carrier and a truck with a one piece doesn't have one.

1.STROKER
2.smokinstroker
3.Caladash
4.spatel23
5.patrickke
6.Zmann
7.SAK (2011)
8.superduty farmer
9.lowdown89
10.gman1

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Im in for the loops. Pm me when ready. I have a one piece driveshaft.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I understand that they want to contain the u-joint if it fails, but why not make it mandatory that there is a loop 360* around the drive shaft at the T-case/Trans and Carrier Bearing (if applicable) so that the drive shaft could not dig into the track?

Some rules are written that way - NADM is everywhere so I posted their rule - here is the Central Ohio Truck Pulling Circuit rules:

Driveshaft Loops:
All trucks must have at least six (6) inch wide u-joint shields around all u-joints on rear
drive shaft constructed of at least ¼ steel or 3/8 aluminum that will safely contain the ujoints and the ends of drive shafts. Any u-joint on the front axle that can be seen from
front or side of truck must be shielded the same as all other u-joints. All shields must be
securely mounted to the vehicle. A new puller may be granted a one time wavier.

Basically the COTPC rule is the same as the Bluegrass and Indiana rules.

The shields primary function is to protect the crowd from exploding u-joints - actual shaft containment and equipment protection comes second to protecting the crowd. When I was pulling I had shields at every joint and loops in the middle of the shaft for containment. I've blown rear driveshafts out at 20' off the line and still went on to pull 280 feet in front wheel drive (because when I let off after the truck "lunged" I didn't hear any rattling and said - I'm going for it! LOL ) - but that is not written into most rules, its hard enough sometimes to get people to install the shields to protect the crowd....

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

gman1

Reaction score
Sounds great! Are you guys going to try and do u-joint shields also?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online