Trailer dealer says: "I can't sell you that 14K GVWR trailer, you are not licenced for it."

sagebel

Reaction score
You're GCWR is 32,100. Any trailer over 10,000 would need a CDL. EXCEPT WHEN PRIVATELY OWNED AND NOT USED FOR COMMERCE. You can hook any trailer you want, load up to exactly 32,100, and provided you are not exchanging money for your services, go wherever the hell you want in the US without a CDL.

Now, if you are hauling something for a buddy, and he pays for a tank of fuel, you need the CDL, because you are technically being paid for your services. Depends on how big of a Richard the DOT wants to be should you get pulled over.
Where is 32,100 listed for my truck? Why is 32100 a magical number?

PDT1081

Reaction score
Where is 32,100 listed for my truck? Why is 32100 a magical number?
Ford-Super-Duty-towing-chart_o.jpg

ToMang07

Reaction score
I understand that, It makes sense. But we all see HD pickups pulling far more than the truck is rated for. I live 3 miles from a Loves truckstop with Cat scales, I will weigh the truck every load to ensure that I am not over 26000 and not exceeding any axle rating. So if I don't get on the highway over 26K, I don't see why this would even be a discussion.
Gubbermint cares more about what's on paper than the real world, is all about taxes(money) and control.

The man gonna git hiz!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

sagebel

Reaction score
Agreed. If that's the case, I want to sue the next mother fer that cuts me off OR the company that sold their product to a dipshit!

sagebel

Reaction score
I went to another dealer today. The only sell what they build. So I asked them to derate a 14K gooseneck to 13599lbs for me to avoid the CDL BS. He told me he wouldn't derate the trailer unless I got a DOT number. What the hell is a DOT number?

Reaction score
Then he followed up with "you need a CDL". My 2021 F350 PSD is rated for 12,400lbs GVWR. So I would have over 26,000lbs of rating when hooked up to the 24' GN. I have no intention to make any money with my truck but I would like to get my tractor to my camp three hours away. WTF!!!! It's a ****ing pickup truck! I had another dealer tell me I would need a DOT number. Can someone get me smart on these two topics? Thanks!
Just moved away from vt. If combined gvwr was 26k+ you were required to have class A cdl if trailer is over 10k. If test was taken in pickup there was an airbrake restriction and automatic restriction

sagebel

Reaction score
I found a dealer today that will sell me a trailer but he stated "yes, you can buy this trailer and drive off my lot with it behind your truck. But, you will be overweight and IF you get pulled over and the officer can do math you WILL get a ticket." I said thanks and left. I'm not sure I want a bumper pull trailer anymore.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I found a dealer today that will sell me a trailer but he stated "yes, you can buy this trailer and drive off my lot with it behind your truck. But, you will be overweight and IF you get pulled over and the officer can do math you WILL get a ticket." I said thanks and left. I'm not sure I want a bumper pull trailer anymore.

What an assache. So glad we don’t have to deal with that crap around here.

psduser1

Reaction score
So buy it.
Your planning to be overweight? Dude basically said "operate at your own risk". If you scale your loads like you said you would, you wouldn't ever be in violation. Unless you wanted to, anyway.
Nobody is going to ticket you for a capacity overage, only for an actual overweight load.

sagebel

Reaction score
So buy it.
Your planning to be overweight? Dude basically said "operate at your own risk". If you scale your loads like you said you would, you wouldn't ever be in violation. Unless you wanted to, anyway.
Nobody is going to ticket you for a capacity overage, only for an actual overweight load.
The way the dealers are talking it sounds like GCVWR is what I actually weigh. WTF? This means that my LOADED up CCLB SRW Platinum 4x4 weighs 12,400 pounds to NYS. It actually weighs 8700 with a full tank of fuel and me in the driver seat. I didn't buy because of the price. $11,100.38 was a bit high for a 22' deck over 14k GVWR bumper pull.

pdr60

Reaction score
Another option is to have the trailer derated. Of course this directly affects the weight you can legally haul. be very careful as if you are in an accident while pulling a trailer whether its your fault or not will not matter. The insurance companies will try anything to make it your fault. Be sure to carry a policy rider to cover a loaded trailer. You don't want trouble down the line.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Farm plates here in Michigan allow you to do really stupid things with a pickup and teailer as long as we are operating in a 150 mile radius of the farm. Lol.. so we can purchase any dam trailer we want. And haul twice the gross of the trailer if we wanted to. Not by any means safe but we are allowed to..

GreenF350

Reaction score
I think to some extent it may depend on what state you are in, but there is a reason you can buy a tag trailer with twin 7,000lb axles that has a GVWR of 9,900lbs. After a bunch of research prior to buying a trailer, my understanding has always been below 10,000lbs GVWR for a tag trailer, an RV (regardless of GVWR), or below 26,001lbs GCWR for gooseneck/5th wheel AND not for hire/money you don’t need a CDL. Bust any of the above parameters and technically you need a CDL.

It has been my experience that you will rarely, if ever get harassed by DOT or other, but even if it’s not your fault and you get in an accident you are setting yourself up for fines/tickets and lawsuits. Never heard of a place refusing to sell a trailer to someone for that though. For one, not their responsibility and two…how do they know what you are going to tow it with?

Latest posts

Members online