trans problems, again...

brian89

Reaction score
Nothing looks to be all that bad, a lot of what used to be oil is stuck to everything, looks like a gray paste, some rubbery sticky stuff, nothing to bad but what would have made that old trans not have any gears at all, forward or reverse?

brian89

Reaction score
finally have some pics, the clutch pack i think is the intermidiate clutch pack and only the middle friction plate had no friction material left and was dished like a mother, other 2 were better but not great, the hole in the back idk if it is supposed to be there but you would think if it was it would have a cleaner cut, but let me know what yall think, thanks

Attachments

• 0628121847.jpg
    0628121847.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
  • 0628121848.jpg
    0628121848.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 0627122357.jpg
    0627122357.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • 0627122357b.jpg
    0627122357b.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70

brian89

Reaction score
I thought about that when i was looking at it today that it is cast, my bad, sorry ha, but why would only that one friction plate gone and not the rest?

brian89

Reaction score
Ok, so i bought a rebuild kit from Alto and a shift kit from Transgo, still saving for a converter but should i get anything else while I'm rebuilding?

brian89

Reaction score
So took apart the direct and forward clutch assembly and the first set of clutches looks brand new, the second ones i found 5 warped steels and frictions that were dished like a mofo and had even dug into the steel part of the plate under the friction material, im almost positive that this was probably why it wouldn't shift from first and wouldn't stay in second

brian89

Reaction score
Last night on reassebly i went to put the coast clutch drum in and when i tried to turn it, it wouldn't even catch on the direct drum splines,pulled it out and the splines on the direct drum were gone, so now i have to take all the stuff back out, swap all the new parts from the old one to the spare, 3 hours worth of work last night for nothing

TARM

Reaction score
Not for nothing you learned something and I bet it goes 2x as fast. But yes still sucks I know. Its good you are willing to do your own rebuild many are scared ****less of the trans and all its numerous parts.

brian89

Reaction score
Yea just mad because it was a careless mistake, that's what i get for rushing, but i got it all sorted out now and I'm glad i figured out why they both broke, so now i don't have to worry about it still being broke when i put it back in

brian89

Reaction score
Got all the clutch packs and hard parts in, time to rebuild front pump and solenoids, going to be in the truck by Friday hopefully, and of course, there will be vids, either of me crying or of me kickin some ricer ass

bluedge8

Reaction score
It was a pretty simple job, just make sure you have a manual and be prepared to make a tool or 2, other than that its easy, as long as your mechanically savy

I already have the manual, just need to find a core, some time, and the willingness to get started. Looking forward to your progress.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.