Trans went boom.. Suggestions?

6.0bomber

Reaction score
I was out at Great Lakes drag way this weekend here in wisconsin running my 06 F250XLT. Saturday was great, ran 14 flat all day in the 1/4 mile. Mods listed in sig. Unfortunately the stock trans and T-case did NOT like 4x4 launches under high boost. On my way home yesterday from the track, it all of a sudden felt like i was stepping on the brakes but i wasn't, and my foot was still on the gas. i heard a *tink* and everything went. No gears, Fluid everywhere, dead on side of the highway. I got it home last night and the trans is shot. What do you think my best plan of attack is? Rebuild this one, or buy a new trans. Has anyone had any luck with Holderdown Performance trans? Stage 2 for $4000, and it holds up to 850 horse? seems almost too good to be true. Im 18 years old and working with a budget. My truck will be sitting until I've got enough to fix it but I guess I'm looking for some input. Thanks!

Mdub707

Reaction score
Tough to say... with your mods and budget I'd probably just be looking for another stocker to throw in there honestly.

JGman141

Reaction score
Mine just went a few weeks back. I'm going with warren diesels comp trans, Andy said they made 890hp with it and had no issues. Hopefully I'll get it in by Friday.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Check to make sure fluid wading coming from a cracked transmission case. If the case is ok, you could just throw a suncoast rebuild kit in it. That or possibly call twisted, or elite.

java

Reaction score
Im running an Elite stage 4 trans with an RCD converter, so far im loving it!! I have a few thousand miles on it.

6.0bomber

Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions. I found a guy near home that will rebuild my trans and Tcase for 850 horsepower for $2200 if i remove and install the trans myself. I don't have a problem with that but i want to find out more about the quality of work he does. I do NOT want to do this the cheap way and break another one...

3brorce

Reaction score
Give a call to warren diesel. They will get you setup and for a great price also.

MorganY

Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions. I found a guy near home that will rebuild my trans and Tcase for 850 horsepower for $2200 if i remove and install the trans myself. I don't have a problem with that but i want to find out more about the quality of work he does. I do NOT want to do this the cheap way and break another one...

Thats a pretty big claim.....Some of these local trans builders seem to have big ass claims but never back them up when someone shreds there trans with half the power they claim they hold. Had a guy who said he could build a trans for $3400 in Houston that could hold 750hp....guess how long that lasted.

What clutches will your builder be using? Frisbees? Machining for extra clutches? A few billet parts, plus machining is over $2k easily.

Good set of Raybestos clutches, good machinist, a few billet parts, Transgo HD shift kit, new seals, new solenoids and a DPC, Precision, or equivalent Triple disk converter put you close to $5000 in just parts! Add close to another grand if your pump is f*cked. Your regular elf from the north pole can't put these things together either.

Skinny

Reaction score
Thats a pretty big claim.....Some of these local trans builders seem to have big ass claims but never back them up when someone shreds there trans with half the power they claim they hold. Had a guy who said he could build a trans for $3400 in Houston that could hold 750hp....guess how long that lasted.

What clutches will your builder be using? Frisbees? Machining for extra clutches? A few billet parts, plus machining is over $2k easily.

Good set of Raybestos clutches, good machinist, a few billet parts, Transgo HD shift kit, new seals, new solenoids and a DPC, Precision, or equivalent Triple disk converter put you close to $5000 in just parts! Add close to another grand if your pump is f*cked. Your regular elf from the north pole can't put these things together either.

:whs: no way in hell you could build that for that price....you better do some research before you go spend your money probably swap some fluid in yours put a deep sump pan and rattle can the whole thing black for that price...

java

Reaction score
Morgan is spot on. I built my trans so I didn't pay any labor and I still spent over 5k. That was with a new pump, all new solenoids, extra clutches and so on.

MorganY

Reaction score
Morgan is spot on. I built my trans so I didn't pay any labor and I still spent over 5k. That was with a new pump, all new solenoids, extra clutches and so on.

Glad you got it together!

Needless to say you get what you pay for. It is worth it to wait until you can pay someone to build you something quality, and worth every penny of your hard earned $

range91

Reaction score
Yea I call bs on 850hp for 2200.. Do some research and math converter billet input and billet hub, then say an iron pac tell me how he can do it for 2200.. I would look elsewhere.. Where u located I'll build it pm me if your close or in Michigan but it won't be for 2200 either

David N

Reaction score
Call Twisted Diesel. I have their Level II trans, which is more than enough for what you will need. Its about $3800.

3brorce

Reaction score
Going to be north of that price in just billet parts lol. Triple disk converter alone is going to be $1,200. No way for that price.

Latest posts

Members online