Transmission Issue..... No CEL/OD Lights

mandkole

Reaction score
heres the ATSG pages for troubleshooting the solenoid block. on edit, we have the PWM version

Attachments

• 4R100 attachment.jpg
    4R100 attachment.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 4R100 page 4attachment.jpg
    4R100 page 4attachment.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 45

ToMang07

Reaction score
Thanks for the help fellas, but it went into the shop this morning.

I'm pretty sure it's toast.

If (likely) I have to rebuild it, I'll have them build it up a bit, and throw in a Triple disc converter with 1900 or 1600 rpm stall speed. Most likely going to go with a Precision NH torque converter, it comes with a 3 year warranty.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Same thing mine did a week after I bought it. Direct drive clutch was gone. Rebuild it with a new tc and a shift kit and it'll be good to go.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Well, it was officially toast. They are going to do a full rebuild, and cooler lines as well. They highly recommended their brand torque converters, although they would use whatever I wanted. So I let them use Recon, which they swear by. It will be a triple disc with a much lowered stall speed. It will have upgraded clutches and steels, as well as an upgraded valve body/kit. Going to be a few weeks, I just hope they have it done before the snow flies.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Shop FINALLY called today, she's all fixed. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Total came to $2,800, so not as bad as I had thought it was going to be.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Cool! Hope it works good for ya Tom! It sucks but you'll realize how hurt its been all along now.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Cool! Hope it works good for ya Tom! It sucks but you'll realize how hurt its been all along now.

Thanks Ty. I'm po'd and psyched at the same time. Can't wait to hook up Hydra and load the VB tunes and see how she runs. :rockon:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Vb?

Once you use it you'll see. Hopefully.

New cooler? Did they use for lines?

mandkole

Reaction score
awesome-- sounds great.

on edit-- To Ty's point, this thing will be noticeable with no tunes. Most tunes don't mess with the trans pressure unless the trans is all stock. if you are having performance VB installed and the pressure is managed with the hard parts, no tuning necessary except for shift speeds, TC lock speeds/behavior.

Last edited:

ToMang07

Reaction score
Vb?

Once you use it you'll see. Hopefully.

New cooler? Did they use for lines?

It has an upgraded Valve Body and a shift kit, so I'll be using the "Valve Body" tunes from PHP, under their recommendation. Should help it even more. I think they flushed the old cooler, and yes it has new lines, not sure what they used for lines yet tho.

ToMang07

Reaction score
awesome-- sounds great.

on edit-- To Ty's point, this thing will be noticeable with no tunes. Most tunes don't mess with the trans pressure unless the trans is all stock. if you are having performance VB installed and the pressure is managed with the hard parts, no tuning necessary except for shift speeds, TC lock speeds/behavior.

Well, I have no doubt PHPs tuning includes transmission tuning....the shift difference is night and day compared to stock. They recommended using their stock VB tunes, I wrote them asking if I needed to use custom tunes or just their library ones. They said the library tunes should be fine.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
awesome-- sounds great.

that is exactly how my bts is.. when i was getting it live tuned, Johnathan was trying to soften up the shifts on the lower horsepower tunes and had everything in the negative digits and ended up calling brian.. he set it to hold 500hp so it hits hard on the lower tunes. not that it spends any time what so ever in those tunes but that is exactly why it shifts like it does..

live life full throttle

mandkole

Reaction score
Its funny, my trans shifting is noticeable, but it has never hit real hard. We even got a little more aggressive with the VB on the rebuild. When you are on it or pulling a good load, its very firm with quick rpm drop but never feels like the C4 in the 5.0 that barks the tires on a 1-2 upshift at 25 mph. lol

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its funny, my trans shifting is noticeable, but it has never hit real hard. We even got a little more aggressive with the VB on the rebuild. When you are on it or pulling a good load, its very firm with quick rpm drop but never feels like the C4 in the 5.0 that barks the tires on a 1-2 upshift at 25 mph. lol

My twisted trans would do that under hard acceleration...

ToMang07

Reaction score
Well, I've had it back for a couple days, and man I'm sure glad to have it back.

That being said, I can definitely feel the difference, especially in "stock" tuning. It doesn't necessarily "slam" into gear, but it noticeably shifts harder 1-4.

Tuned...I immediately noticed how much quicker power gets to the wheels, which I contribute to the lowered stall TC. (1,600 RPM)

Overall, it drives very well and I'm happy with it, although I fell the shop was a bit shady. They did NOT put a performance valve body in, just a "shift kit." I told them I wanted upgraded clutch pack and steels, they did NOT do that, they just put whatever "Master Overhaul Kit" they use and that was it, so I'm a bit pissed about that. But they did put synthetic in like I asked. Also took over 4 weeks considering they said 2-3 when I brought it to them.

Latest posts

Members online