Treadwright tires?

Dave

Reaction score
Check your state laws before ordering. Not legal as steer tires in many states.

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
I'm actually in PA state safety inpection class right now for class and we wnt over this today. No recaps on front. At least that's what I got from it. Lol

jngreen

Reaction score
Anything goes in indiana lol

I'm pretty sure its the same for Indiana, but DOT only goes for the bigger trucks anyways.

The old flatbed f550 towtruck I drove, had recaps on the rear but not on the steer tires. I don't think the boss wanted to push the issue.

Reaction score
I've got about 20k on a set now---my only problem was 2 of them took a ton of weight to balance I ended up using dyna beads in all four and they have been riding fine and wearing great-even towing 8-10k regularly for work.

And what cat said-the first 3-4 weeks I thought it was a mistake to get the tires but when they "broke in" everythings been fine

KPSquared

Reaction score
As far as I understand, the "no re-caps on steering tires" applies to commercial passenger vehicles only. Like city busses.

That is why I asked for someone to find the actual section of your states or the fedral traffic act that restricts the use of re-caps on a normal passenger car or truck.

This is a quote I found on retread.org,

"This is an issue that confuses many people. A misconception exists that retreads are not allowed on the steering axle of any vehicle. The fact is, retreads can be used on the steering axle on any vehicle with the exception of a bus. Paragraph "d" of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation Title 49 Part 393.75 states, "No bus shall be operated with regrooved, recapped or retreaded tires on the front wheels."

I would like to find more to back that up, but it would seem that the restriction to steering axles only applies to busses.

Anyone?

Last edited:

KPSquared

Reaction score
Ok, you "know" it... where does it say it?

I'm really not trying to be a prick, I just want to see documentation on where you can and can't run a re-capped tire.

So much here-say, so little proof.

wint

Reaction score
Havent picked up a set yet, as always other things have came up. Going to be forced into a set here soon if i procrastinate much longer...

Latest posts

Members online