Treadwright tires?

powerSmokin

Reaction score
On the whole recaps on steers, it may not be illegal in places but it is just a dumb idea. The casing is literally wrapped in another set of rubber. I work with tires all day, when you see a failure of any recap you see the peeling affect. Steers see the most friction since they are being pulled back and forth when steering, therefore pulling that recap strip on top of the casing back and forth causing separation or a blowout in most cases. I wouldn't risk it just to save a few bucks, when it comes to safety on tires it is stupid to cut corners since it could be at the cost of someone elses life or job.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Treadwright will tell you what states are legal or not.... when you order them and your from Michigan they will yell you that they are illegal to use on our trucks..... but if its for off road use they will still sell them to you.... with that being said I've had a set and my uncle had a set and we loved them... also were on our half ton trucksks though..

MAC

Reaction score
I have a different opinion on Treadwright tires now, a member of another forum had one of their tires blowout with only 30,000 miles on it.

Maybe it was a freak tire failure, but I will not be taking the chance.

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
I have a different opinion on Treadwright tires now, a member of another forum had one of their tires blowout with only 30,000 miles on it.

Maybe it was a freak tire failure, but I will not be taking the chance.

That's kinda a tough call. I've had a 2 Goodyear MTRs that separated the belts in the sidewall & came close to blowing while the other 2 were fine & they didn't have 10k on em with full tread. However I've run a couple other sets down below 1/4 tread without 1 issue.
The old Cooper S/T was known for blowing out, I knew a lot of people that had bad luck with em. I put prob 40k+ on a set between 2 different trucks before they were practically bald & I replaced em with BFGs. My buddy is still running em on his 16ft gooseneck dump trailer that ain't light.
Same goes for the Trxus M/Ts, every review I read on em was mixed with a lot of blow outs. I ran a set on my 97 & had one down to the wires & they still didn't shake going down the highway. That being said maybe I just got lucky twice , I won't run the S/T or Trxux M/T again because there are better tread patterns out there. I have seen brand new bfg/nitto/ext that have had random blow outs so is any tire truly "safe"?
Know a lot of people that ran/run treadwrites without issues & I've driven trucks that have them as well. Hard to say really but I might be giving em a shot one of these days.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Here's the thread if anyone would like to read it: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53955&highlight=treadwright

Only thing I can say is, when buying new tires check the numbers and find out when they were made, if you are paying new tire prices then make sure you are getting new tires, not tires that have sat in a warehouse for 5 years.

That's no joke...a member on here got some tires put on his 08 while he was deployed...the shop put on some tires that were 4 or 5 years old and they were rotted out within a year of him getting back.

I was going to order some treadwrights but with as much as I'm always pulling a trailer, I would hate to have a blowout on a steer tire, I ordered some new cooper at3's for the dually...they were 500 more for the set but I think its worth it for safety.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I had the howler mt on my halfton. Had 45k on them when I sold the truck and they still had 1/4in of tread on them.... awesome in all driving conditions...

powerSmokin

Reaction score
We just installed a new set of cooper at3's on a newer chevy, I wanna say it was a 265 55 series but they balanced out great and were pretty quiet when we took the vehicle back to the customer.

wint

Reaction score
I have decided not to get the retreads now. For a few hundred more i can get name brand tires. I am not opposed to using the retreads though. If i ever have another truck ill run them on it.

PSDEng

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but...I just ordered two retreads from treadwright but found almost as good of a deal on two bfg tires that will match the two that don't need replaced. Is there any reason to worry with these retreads nowadays? I'm having some second thoughts now that I can get two brand new tires as opposed to running retreads.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
me and a couple guys have had great luck with treadwrights but if you can get a new set for close to the same price i would go new.

live life full throttle

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Love mine.... Only have about 12k miles on them but my dad has over 20k on the set he has

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

PSDEng

Reaction score
Well it looks like the new pair I thought I could get fell through and the two new retreads are sitting in the garage. Coincidentally the retreads have BFG sidewalls....I don't know why but there's something that makes me feel uneasy about running them. I suppose I just don't want to have issues with them as I'll be moving from PA to TX here in a month or so.

Renegade7.3

Reaction score
i plan on running these when it comes time to get tires and put the truck on the road for good https://www.treadwright.com/p-95-285-75r16-backbone-m-t-e.aspx

iv talked to the girls who run the office and they are super nice, im actually excited to buy tires to see how the retreads do. and the warrenty the have if the tire comes apart and destroys your vehicle/other vehicles and its proved to be their fault, they pay the full repair cost

PSDEng

Reaction score
iv talked to the girls who run the office and they are super nice, im actually excited to buy tires to see how the retreads do. and the warrenty the have if the tire comes apart and destroys your vehicle/other vehicles and its proved to be their fault, they pay the full repair cost

I understand that, but I don't want to be in that position LOL maybe I'm just being paranoid. I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance running these tires insofar as they don't have any higher of a failure rate than brand new tires do.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i plan on running these when it comes time to get tires and put the truck on the road for good https://www.treadwright.com/p-95-285-75r16-backbone-m-t-e.aspx

afaik thats only in states that allow the use of retreads... they wont even ship to michigan unless its off road only!!

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.