Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

cleatus12r

Reaction score
I was surprised it cranked as good as it did. My starter and/or relay gets a little pissed after 2 weeks at 25f.

I've learned over my lifetime here that good batteries and big cables (2-0 welding cable) works really well for cold starts.

Sorry for the delay in the videos. I drove to Bozeman yesterday in the '95 and didn't realize until this morning that my dipstick flange leaked out 9 quarts of oil on part of the drive home last night within the last 28 miles. I don't have to worry about anything rusting from the oil pan back, that's for sure! I had to fix that this morning. I can't complain much though....with 251,200 on the clock and only needing a set of intermediate clutches and now this, I'm doing pretty good. The E99 turbocharger/intercooler and disc brakes in the rear weren't needed - just worth doing.

cleatus12r

Reaction score
The funny thing is that I did your tuning, Jay. I have done a few for 160/0 and 160/30 injectors that do the same thing yours does. I wish I knew what causes it. My stock 1995 will kill anything behind it on a cold start due to the amount of blue smoke it produces in the morning and I can't tune it out either. I can't blame the injectors since it starts just as good and runs like a mad chief regardless of how cold the oil is.

jaybuller

Reaction score
I know that's why I posted that! Don't worry I'm sending my injectors back to get the armatures reset and whatever else they may need... The truck does not fire up easy. With the stock sticks it fired up easy and very fast even in sub zero. Now it will not start whatsoever ever if it's below zero. And my glow plug system is 100% new and functioning only change is my 160/30 sticks.... I'm gonna hit you back up if I need to for tuning once I get the injectors back.

cleatus12r

Reaction score
There's a guy here who had reman 160/0 injectors and had them changed to new ones....no change. It perplexes me because nothing I changed while sitting in it had any bearing on what was happening at the tailpipe. Engine noise changed, RPM changed, etc. No smoke change.

jaybuller

Reaction score
In would not even be so worried about the smoke but add the smoke The idm codes (high to low side open) and the fact it won't start and it's too much to ignore

Last edited:

pwrstrk01

Reaction score
How would a GT4202 work with 250/200s or 300/200s??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 300 / 200 with a gt4202 and with 3:73 and 35s it was a pig 4:10 made it better but still not ideal I like a 468 alot better for daily driving just my .02

mattwjones

Reaction score
As an absolute greenhorn, I was excited to find this 101 post since I just got my very own 95 F-350 with a 7.3. I hope this isn't rude, but I think the title is misleading because of all of the acronyms and such. Is there a thread or article that someone could share that might get me up to speed?

jaybuller

Reaction score
Not trying to be rude and new folks to power strokes can get a lot from this site but you may want to check out powerstroke nation as well for truly beginner type stuff... That place is kind of like a powerstroke lite type of site and this is more of a full blown powerstrokewizer.

mandkole

Reaction score
Lol Jay.. Powerstrokewiser

Matt, welcome-- you can certainly check out the library section for some FAQ stuff and start reading.

superpsd

Reaction score
I would start by researching heui to understand the basics of how a Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injection system works

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I know that's why I posted that! Don't worry I'm sending my injectors back to get the armatures reset and whatever else they may need... The truck does not fire up easy. With the stock sticks it fired up easy and very fast even in sub zero. Now it will not start whatsoever ever if it's below zero. And my glow plug system is 100% new and functioning only change is my 160/30 sticks.... I'm gonna hit you back up if I need to for tuning once I get the injectors back.
compression check time

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

jaybuller

Reaction score
I did lowest cyl was 408 highest was 415psi. I've ruled out every single possible problem. The problem showed up at time of new injector install. Tried multiple tuners, tried sending the injectors that were supposedly throwing the idm codes when cold back to the shop under warrantee. All with no luck. So now I am pulling all 8 out and sending them in to be checked and reset. Buzz test on all 8 is weaker than trucks I've done in the past but they are all uniform in volume and strength. Hopefully the injector builder can set t strait for me! I'm hopefull anyways!

Sorry guys I just realized I was mucking up the thread... Please ****** all my irrelevant posts!

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I did lowest cyl was 408 highest was 415psi. I've ruled out every single possible problem. The problem showed up at time of new injector install. Tried multiple tuners, tried sending the injectors that were supposedly throwing the idm codes when cold back to the shop under warrantee. All with no luck. So now I am pulling all 8 out and sending them in to be checked and reset. Buzz test on all 8 is weaker than trucks I've done in the past but they are all uniform in volume and strength. Hopefully the injector builder can set t strait for me! I'm hopefull anyways!

Sorry guys I just realized I was mucking up the thread... Please ****** all my irrelevant posts!
that is dam good compression!

live life full throttle

sootie

Reaction score
So cleatus, your multiple comments on how the smoke wasn't blue on the cold start. Is that because the fuel atomization is perfect even in low Temps? Or what does it exactly signify...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So cleatus, your multiple comments on how the smoke wasn't blue on the cold start. Is that because the fuel atomization is perfect even in low Temps? Or what does it exactly signify...
that it was cold as ***, not over fueling to compensate for the temps, and running well for not being plugged in.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online