Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

Jomax

Reaction score
I didn't start this discussion to try and take a ready-made, commercially available product and figure out how to DIY cheaper or easier.

I started this thread because every time I have posted about experiences with nozzles of the 200 and larger variety being perfectly tame, and in fact cleaner than smaller nozzles on the street and towing hard I have to listen to cackling about how that's because I tune my own truck, and nobody else can expect to ever get that without paying for someone to personally sit in their truck and do the same....

In other words, the discussion was started because the ones sacrificing time, effort and money apparently did not have a ready-made solution for anyone with say a 200 nozzle that wanted to do anything other than drive away smoking the block out and burning holes in pistons.

When I read about people REMOVING a perfectly good injector because they could not BUY a decent program no matter what they tried, that pisses me off.

Especially since that same person then has NO CLUE how awesome their truck would have driven with about 20 seconds worth of decent hex flashed to it.

If this subject had already been conquered by the pros, they sure as hell did a good job of hiding it.

What I don't understand is why everybody doesn't have a half-dozen or so files for a 200 after various different sessions with people, so that the bases are covered, and while someone will invariably want different preferential things, like shifting, idle speed and such, the simple ability for the truck to functionally go down the road without smoking out the world should have been on lock years ago.

If I wasn't stuck tuning an oddball like AEB, people could already be running my program and giving feedback. It could then be getting altered and shaped into something that could be a readily available go-to file so that worst-case, people would have a file they could depend on. And also, be a standard so that problem TRUCKS could be found out when you run the same file across multiple trucks and 20 run like X and 1 runs like Y....

My goal is for people to upload files that they feel good about and with enough of them the void where people can't even get DOWN THE ROAD worth a damn will be filled.

With enough files people could search through and likely fall on something they would actually like in its entirety.

That's the goal. If I have to, I'll write some new stuff for DAC. My downfall for 99% of the target here is that I cannot BEG an auto PCM to control a 4R100 with any shred of resemblance to what I asked for. If I could figure that out, I might be able to help with the most common cache codes.

Uploading files to be seen and run is the key. I realized I couldn't upload stuff for VDH because all of mine has God knows what for trans tuning, because I pulled the wires away from the Ford PCM and handed them to a PCS.

Files. Anybody not selling files that wants to provide the most momentum should upload stuff. Even if the file doesn't do what you want. In fact, maybe upload trouble stuff more than anything. As long as it's labeled as such so nobody accidentally tries it thinking it's a good file.

Having people across the country be able to pull up a file and actually LOOK directly at the maps is my goal here.

I must say, when I had 250/100s Jody had a tune he fine tuned for another guy with stock turbo etc.

Took two Tries and the truck ran like a top.

No solid black smoke, just a slight haze at WOT.

Thing was faster then my old dually with 175/30s on a hot tune.

All with a early 99 turbo, leaking up pipes and a manifold leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaybuller

Reaction score
How do you guys feel about swapping out my DAC ecm for one of the more common auto ecm for tuning cold start smoke out in my zf6 truck? Is it doable? Will I have issues with anything running an auto ecm in my manual truck? I half think my cold start smoking is due to the DAC and screwed up unchangeable parameters. Mabey someone on here has done this before and can shed light? (I see you Charles are doing the opposite running a manual ecm in a auto truck)

jaybuller

Reaction score
Well dang it Cody! Burst my idea bubble! Any chance you've been able to have a truck with bigger nozzles start clean with no smoke or raw fuel filling up the garage on cold mornings? I know out there in Wyoming it's just as cold as up here in Maine so you've got to have figured out the secret.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I think he's from Montana, but could be wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I don't think any injectors is able to have ZERO white smoke at start up in the cold...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Keep in mind that water is one of the byproducts of combustion. In a really cold environment, the vapor will start to condense in the cold exhaust pipe until everything warms up (including cylinder temps). That might be what you are seeing in Cody's video.

jaybuller

Reaction score
White steam is fine.... Mine is blue smoke from way too much fuel not getting burnt due to cold combustion chamber. Stock tune with stock injectors don't smoke an ounce in this same truck setup the exact same way. I ran it last winter with stock injectors due to this problem.... Now I got the 160/30 back in and they will make you pass out trying to hook a trailer up if it's cold out

ja_cain

Reaction score
White steam is fine.... Mine is blue smoke from way too much fuel not getting burnt due to cold combustion chamber. Stock tune with stock injectors don't smoke an ounce in this same truck setup the exact same way. I ran it last winter with stock injectors due to this problem.... Now I got the 160/30 back in and they will make you pass out trying to hook a trailer up if it's cold out
Definitely frustrating to say the least, I'm sure. What I really want to know is why Charle's truck didn't smoke as much when he removed the chip. That could provide the missing piece of information that some people need.

N2GN2

Reaction score
There seems to be some kind of phenomenon with stage ones and smoke. Some trucks have it and others don't. Same truck, different truck, rebuilt stage ones, new stage ones, different tuning, no tuning. Get rid of the state ones.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Maaaaybe...but im thinking this an issue pretty exclusive to that injector. For some reason there are many ac30 trucks that do it.

Mine is better on these 200s than it was stock. Definitely better than 175/80s. I should have got a 200% injector from day ***kin obe.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Sounds like injector builders need to setup their flow benches in a cold box. Lol! I bet that would give some interesting data. No telling how much a PDPA to measure droplet size costs though.

I'm hanging out with my brother today. I'm sure they (the company he works for) have all the equipment to do this with common rail stuff, but probably not heui stuff since it's "ancient" technology. Lol! It should be interesting to hear his take on the issue.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I forget, but are 30's eh or edm'd?

psduser1

Reaction score
Sounds like injector builders need to setup their flow benches in a cold box. Lol! I bet that would give some interesting data. No telling how much a PDPA to measure droplet size costs though.

I'm hanging out with my brother today. I'm sure they (the company he works for) have all the equipment to do this with common rail stuff, but probably not heui stuff since it's "ancient" technology. Lol! It should be interesting to hear his take on the issue.

Sounds like a resource worth working with...

Gearhead

Reaction score
going to a single shot gets rid of the preheat shot... ask a stock OBS owner how bad their truck smokes in cold weather.....

superpsd

Reaction score
Snow is on the ground here and my stock injector obs started with very little smoke exhaust was clear in about 5 seconds. I have increased ICP at idle just a tad and it also help smooth out the idle and I do have intake pressure at idle but the tuning adjustments seem to help the most. I also wait about 20 seconds at least if not more after key on to crank it over. If I only give the plugs a couple of seconds it will be a hazy cloud.

Latest posts

Members online