Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

mandkole

Reaction score
Is your truck mint? Your ccsb? It seems like you had some pictures up at one point. But i get you confused with another member sometimes. Sorry for that?

Mine is starting to get rusty again. Its been painted twice already. It rotted out in 4 years the first time but I plowed snow until 07. Which is why it was painted again in 07, after it started to rust, again. Smashed the bed loadin a boulder and wrecked the tailgate...

yeah, its a low mile truck (115K) in excellent condition. Honestly, Ive mostly just driven this one and the performance mods were done a friend who was the PO. Im very familiar with the work that was done on it.

My enthuasiasm to work on this truck has been hard to come by. I did so much work on the OBS trucks that Im only doing what I have to right now. I just enjoy driving this one. haha

mandkole

Reaction score
I get what your saying about giving tips and secrets away that it's take. You so long to figure out... On the same note it makes no sense to keep them to your self either. How is that helping anything or anyone?

It's kind of like myself and barefoot trimming horses. Over the years I've come a long ways in figuring out the best way to shape and grow a healthy hoof on a horse. I made so many mistakes starting out early in my days because I had to figure out and test different stuff to see what changes it would make. Sometimes it worked out sometimes it didn't. So my point is all these years of testing and trying out things to get to where I am today as a barefoot trimmer would be pointless if I didn't share my findings and my best practices to others that ask or need direction. The few hundred horses I trim would be sound growing healthy rock crushing hooves and the thousands others out there trimmed by folks that don't know the right way (or the best way) I should say and there would be a bunch of soft footed lame on rock horses....

Point is if you don't share your findings with folks there may be a bunch of lame powerstrokes running around! Hahah

But then again not everybody shares the same train of thought on sharing knowledge. To me knowledge should be free and work should cost money.

Amen...

Mainly just the ICP desired, MFD and PW.
Ok,cool-- Im spending a lot of time just reading the scan gauge and trying become very familiar with exactly how it acts at certain times and what is on the gauge.

To Charles earlier points, the ICP does leads the PW except where the rpm is low and the throttle is snapped. PW is not crazy. Bill definitely took a fairly conservative approach and the files overall are pretty dialed in. The fuel on cold start has been something Ive lived with.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Instead of hounding on a guy that might have all the secretes for not just dumping years of work in your laps, maybe you should be thanking him for his advice and direction he sends you to learn for yourself. Otherwise he is likely to tell you piss off and not help at all.

This happens way too much in this world. I don't take ten years of my work and publish it for everyone to read. I found what works and offer it at a reasonable value to the public. I at least make the other companies break my stuff down and attempt to reverse engineer it at the cost of their time and labor. I also used to get on the forums and share info to help others but dang it if people didn't just complain about it to the point I stopped sharing.

The purpose, I thought, was to get those that did their own personal tuning together and share with each other their findings in a hope to learn together. Not for people to buy the minimum amount of equipment to tune their own truck and beat up those that can do it for not handing over the exact info to do it in one try.

superpsd

Reaction score
Amen...

Ok,cool-- Im spending a lot of time just reading the scan gauge and trying become very familiar with exactly how it acts at certain times and what is on the gauge.

To Charles earlier points, the ICP does leads the PW except where the rpm is low and the throttle is snapped. PW is not crazy. Bill definitely took a fairly conservative approach and the files overall are pretty dialed in. The fuel on cold start has been something Ive lived with.

I just built of his base tunes. I just remappped ICP so when it is snapped ICP can get on top of the PW. I also trimmed a little PW off in a few areas even the top. Runs great and crisp. I also raised ICP at idle. It seems to idle a tad smoother.
I could mess with it more but I will just wait until the larger sticks are in. The small changes did fix a few hiccups that I was originally trying to troubleshoot as mechanical and then started to suspect my old worn heui system just was not completely liking the canned tune. Those issues seen to be gone with the tuning tweeks.

Last edited:

jaybuller

Reaction score
Instead of hounding on a guy that might have all the secretes for not just dumping years of work in your laps, maybe you should be thanking him for his advice and direction he sends you to learn for yourself. Otherwise he is likely to tell you piss off and not help at all.

This happens way too much in this world. I don't take ten years of my work and publish it for everyone to read. I found what works and offer it at a reasonable value to the public. I at least make the other companies break my stuff down and attempt to reverse engineer it at the cost of their time and labor. I also used to get on the forums and share info to help others but dang it if people didn't just complain about it to the point I stopped sharing.

The purpose, I thought, was to get those that did their own personal tuning together and share with each other their findings in a hope to learn together. Not for people to buy the minimum amount of equipment to tune their own truck and beat up those that can do it for not handing over the exact info to do it in one try.

I wouldn't expect someone like you to share trade secrets as you do it for a living. I was under the impression he does not tune professionally anymore?

N2GN2

Reaction score
The title of this thread is label "101" which means introductory. The reason this has never taken off in the Powerstroke world is because the people who know keep it to themselves. If you are not willing to teach, we'll have to help ourselves. No one's asking you to tune their truck for free, but introductory means we need the basics so we can learn on our own productively.

Last edited:

m j

Reaction score
sharing info is the only way this platform will move forward.

'thanks' to everyone that got it this far.

mandkole

Reaction score
I just built of his base tunes. I just remappped ICP so when it is snapped ICP can get on top of the PW. I also trimmed a little PW off in a few areas even the top. Runs great and crisp. I also raised ICP at idle. It seems to idle a tad smoother.
I could mess with it more but I will just wait until the larger sticks are in. The small changes did fix a few hiccups that I was originally trying to troubleshoot as mechanical and then started to suspect my old worn heui system just was not completely liking the canned tune. Those issues seen to be gone with the tuning tweeks.

Gotcha--

TyCorr

Reaction score

Nobody is ***king hounding him. He participated on the wings of his own volition. Just as he is free to leave.

His last post was just barely enough for you to find something to scrape with your fingernail. Go have your period somewhete else.

Nobody is asking for ANYTHING you alleged in this post. Nobody is even quoting Cody and asking anything. I asked a damn question that I could have easily googled. He answered it. Big deal.

Thanks for the injectors with stupid 200% nozzles I bought from you. And judging by your conduct in here, I had no business owning. And bill @php tuned with literally zero issues. I think its time for you to exit this thread and just stay away. You're really making yourself look like a bitter jackass for whatever reason. One Ill never understand.

bluedge8

Reaction score

Nobody is ***king hounding him. He participated on the wings of his own volition. Just as he is free to leave.

His last post was just barely enough for you to find something to scrape with your fingernail. Go have your period somewhete else.

Nobody is asking for ANYTHING you alleged in this post. Nobody is even quoting Cody and asking anything. I asked a damn question that I could have easily googled. He answered it. Big deal.

Thanks for the injectors with stupid 200% nozzles I bought from you. And judging by your conduct in here, I had no business owning. And bill @php tuned with literally zero issues. I think its time for you to exit this thread and just stay away. You're really making yourself look like a bitter jackass for whatever reason. One Ill never understand.

Pretty much what I was going to say, Cody has been very helpful in here and it is much appreciated, but if he feels that people are just taking from him he should be done in here. I would hope that isn't the case but if it is then fine.

The other point I would like to have clarified for me is that both you -Tim and Cody, never had anyone teach you anything about these motors and you just slugged through the muck on your own until you were proficient or professional at doing your craft (Tim=inj's, Cody=tuning)? So Tim, in the end though, this is a tuning thread, not an injector thread, so unless you have positive input towards tuning, don't bother posting in here, and I will say again that I have appreciated everything that Cody has offered in here.

Last edited:

fords4life

Reaction score
I understand the 7.3 for the most part and the basics of the injectors. That being said, from the tuning side of the equation do you guys see as much of a struggle to tune B-codes with 200% nozzles as you do hybrids with 200% nozzles? I have a set of 315/200 B-codes, the person tuning my truck is 1000 miles away, and seems to be doing just fine getting things dialed in with verbal feedback from me and very little data logging info. I'd love to be doing my own, just don't have the extra $$$ for the software after the build. Maybe I'm not as picky as some, but when you swap out the heart of an engine, it's going to take a little time and effort to get it right. It's just part of the process.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
Can someone send me a bone stock file for AEB?

I know what I think the little suffixes and such are on the files that Bill sends with a template, but since the one I thought was stock and NOT a "no start" file for my VDH template wouldn't even crank, it would be awesome if someone who knew for sure could upload one here so I could use it for my base file.

Few minutes ago the truck wouldn't fire off. Old diddly, diddly, diddly bs where it picks up a few hundred rpm but that's it. Threw the chip in the floor and it IMMEDIATELY cranked, sat and purred.

I need to build off the stock file so bad it hurts.

Thanks.

Charles

Reaction score
I wanted to clarify, I don't think the reason the truck didn't crank was because of anything changed by Bill in the 25T file I did start with (lowest one).

I think most likely I did not have enough available pw in my pw map for a cold crank. But I would really like to just build off a totally stock, ground zero file for once.

For decoding purposes, looking at the suffixes of the files...

I see _0HI1100 and I think, 0 increase to power, high idle, 1100rpm?

I see _0NS and I think, 0 increase to power, no start?

I see _0S and I think, 0 increase to power, start?

I see _0WM and I think.... nothing, lol.

Anybody want to solidify what any of this actually means? Or what the suffix is for the bone stock, unaltered file?

Oh, and as I go through winter, and correct this little issue and others.... those new files will get uploaded!

Last edited:

cleatus12r

Reaction score
High Idle
No Start
Stock
Whisper Mode

Here's a stock 224K calibration that matches what your previously attached calibration was (TOAA5Z5).

Attachments

• TOAA5Z5 (AEB3).bin
    224 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
Thanks. I figured it would be that straight-forward, but after the 0s file wouldn't crank I gave up and moved on to the ones labeled with numerical values higher than 0.

May have been a fluke.

I'll flash that file when I get time to mess with the tuning again and verify that the AEB cranks then I'll work from that one.

Thanks.

Charles

Reaction score
I'm reminded of a strange deal with my VDH pcm now that you may have some insight into...

When I bought this truck from Texas it came with that VDH pcm in it. The pcm has a white paper label on it talking about voiding warranty and how it's a reman.... so... it's been into by someone...

Weirdness is as follows:

The truck was a TOTAL dog all the way back from Texas. All through the night the truck would not even run over 80mph. If a slow car got in front of me and I went to pass, the truck would rev all up, make all sorts of noise and go NOWHERE. Over and over again I would be flat to the floor and a car from way behind me would overtake me (with their cruise on probably) before I could even move forward enough to get over and pass. This was at like 70mph, lol.

I'm talking DOGGGGGG!

When I got home I tossed the scanner on the truck to see what I could see, and nothing really seemed wrong.

I started to pull out of my parking spot and as soon as I touched the pedal the truck spun the back tires... Driving around the truck had twice the power, suuuuuper responsive pedal (too responsive for my taste) and the trans shifting strategy was different and shifts were firm...

All I did was put the scanner on. Truck drove like that, making okay power, albeit at abysmally low icp and the top 1/3 of the pedal was no different than the middle 1/3, so on and so forth, but relatively quick and decent for an 8100lb truck with stock injectors.

The first time I changed the batteries I got back in the truck, not even thinking about the pcm and bingo.... dead turd again. SOB wouldn't get out of its own way, just like before. I had to stop what I was doing and drive to my scanner, plug the scanner in, start to connect and immediately take it off because the truck was in Mr hyde mode again, response back, power back...

Anybody know WTF was going on there? To this day that pcm is like this. If I put it in my truck right now it would run the dog program until I hooked up the scanner, then it would switch to the power program...

cleatus12r

Reaction score
Without taking too much time to think about this one since I am at work, I'd say that something internal to the PCM is fried (high resistance in a semiconductor or circuit trace) and possibly a power or ground path is restored after going through the diagnostic connector.

I've fixed PCMs that have fried internal components and this makes sense to me...there are a lot of failure points and whatnot because of high flyback voltage (collapsing fields around coils).

ja_cain

Reaction score
High Idle
No Start
Stock
Whisper Mode

Here's a stock 224K calibration that matches what your previously attached calibration was (TOAA5Z5).

How does the TOAA5Z5 differ from the TOAA4Z2? This is what I'm using for my AEB3 pcm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cleatus12r

Reaction score
Nothing that you'll notice in any way while driving.

This all goes back to Charles' rant about how many calibrations are out there for seemingly no reason at all.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
The truck was a TOTAL dog all the way back from Texas. All through the night the truck would not even run over 80mph. If a slow car got in front of me and I went to pass, the truck would rev all up, make all sorts of noise and go NOWHERE. Over and over again I would be flat to the floor and a car from way behind me would overtake me (with their cruise on probably) before I could even move forward enough to get over and pass. This was at like 70mph, lol.

I'm talking DOGGGGGG!

When I got home I tossed the scanner on the truck to see what I could see, and nothing really seemed wrong.

I started to pull out of my parking spot and as soon as I touched the pedal the truck spun the back tires... Driving around the truck had twice the power, suuuuuper responsive pedal (too responsive for my taste) and the trans shifting strategy was different and shifts were firm...

All I did was put the scanner on. Truck drove like that, making okay power, albeit at abysmally low icp and the top 1/3 of the pedal was no different than the middle 1/3, so on and so forth, but relatively quick and decent for an 8100lb truck with stock injectors.

The first time I changed the batteries I got back in the truck, not even thinking about the pcm and bingo.... dead turd again. SOB wouldn't get out of its own way, just like before. I had to stop what I was doing and drive to my scanner, plug the scanner in, start to connect and immediately take it off because the truck was in Mr hyde mode again, response back, power back...

Anybody know WTF was going on there? To this day that pcm is like this. If I put it in my truck right now it would run the dog program until I hooked up the scanner, then it would switch to the power program...

I had a similar issue, and I haven't found the answer, it was right after I got my hydra chip. When I got hooked up to it to data log, it was too late didn't happen again. But when it previously happened, it was like the truck went into "limp mode" (which I don't remember existing in 7.3s). Once was after getting on it to get on the highway, and it stayed that way until I shut it down, and restarted it. As soon as I did that, the truck was back to making power. Truck did it several times, and it didn't matter which tune. Hasn't done it in a few days now. Mines an 01, standard, APX1 which I believe is DPC 421

Latest posts

Members online