Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

mandkole

Reaction score
I get no romp at idle when using stock split shot tunes on a 160/30 single shot injector? Just my observation

Me too-- the idle is actually much quieter as well. But there's other on/off throttle control issues. Curious to see the differences on the screen.

Looking at the whisper calibration I see we drop the ICP and add the -7% global offset SOI.

Im living vicariously thru you right now man.. keep on learning.

You get haze on whisper? Ive got whisper and it just needlessly consumes a chip position. It whispers, but with heavy haze.

How do you go about seeing the files on the screen? Cant wait to start playing with minotaur.

N2GN2

Reaction score
How do you go about seeing the files on the screen? Cant wait to start playing with minotaur.

When you load more then one calibration you can compare the values of each variable side by side. I don't even know what I'm doing and the software keeps amazing me! Here is stock vs 140hp MFD.

Attachments

• mfd.jpg
    mfd.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 130

cleatus12r

Reaction score
This is why you won't see my stuff here....it becomes public knowledge (I guess that was the point of this thread) even though that map doesn't mean much in terms of power production.

mandkole

Reaction score
did you download the stock file from the pcm or was it on the hydra? these are really newb questions but Im just trying to get an idea without having it in front of me.

What do the pedal position values represent?

superpsd

Reaction score
Keys F6-F10 toggle you thru the different views of the maps. With F9 you can see an overlay of the two calibrations loaded. Number lock toggles what your arrow keys are for.

Last edited:

N2GN2

Reaction score
When you buy Minotar Bill will send you his standard calibrations.

0=No foot on pedal
1023=Pedal on the floor

mandkole

Reaction score
This is why you won't see my stuff here....it becomes public knowledge (I guess that was the point of this thread - yes) even though that map doesn't mean much in terms of power production.

fair enough.. your point has been well made. Why isn't the 6.4 and 6.7 tuning forum littered with 'you're stealing from tuners' posts?

You also continue to make assumptions of why we want to share. We've already been able to share files with the right software. I already plan to spend money with a tuner for base files-- if those files work great out of the box, then great. But if not, I plan to start learning with others trying to learn.

N2GN2

Reaction score
I'll be happy to share mine, just like Charles and the others that are sure to follow. Hop on the sharing wagon, it'll feel great! This thread will be about teamwork!

I guarantee Bill is going to see a spike in Minotaur sales due to Charles and this thread!

mandkole

Reaction score
I'll be happy to share mine, just like Charles and the others that are sure to follow. Hop on the sharing wagon, it'll feel great! This thread will be about teamwork!

I guarantee Bill is going to see a spike in Minotaur sales due to Charles and this thread!

exactly, and this little orgy we're having here isn't going to make a dent in the tuner sales market.

N2GN2

Reaction score
Cody, you're right. I'm working on uploading my customized MFD to the previous post.

cleatus12r

Reaction score
I guess I liken it to this:

I have some other company's tuning for various injectors via TS reburns..
How do you suppose they'd feel if I posted screenshots of their tuning?

By the way, you could put "300" in all of the MFD mapping at high pedal position and it won't do anything for power...just trying to save you time.

Charles

Reaction score
Alright, after getting back today from my changes in order to increase cranking fuel allowance I have some comments...

I went on a shotgun attack of anything related to lazy cranking fuel in hopes of scoring a hit and working back from there:

First off, after seeing a 3 second delay with MFD at 0 in the "Cranking mass fuel adder" function, I bottomed that out at ~25 instead of 0 or 3 or whatever it was.

I then set the "Cranking mass fuel desired" to 100 across the board as well.

Then, in an attempt to assure available fuel allowance for cranking, I pushed the pw up at the 100 MFD point up to 4.5ms. Now I don't usually see MFD actually reach 100, so it shouldn't have ever made it there anyway.... but.... just to be sure, I also reset the "Fuel limit vs Rpm" so that anything under 800rpm had 100MFD available, and anything over capped out at 90..... seemingly removing the ability for 4.5ms of pw for any rpm over 800. The highest value at a MFD of 90 is otherwise 2.1ms.

I then went into the MFD table and set everything below 750rpm to 100MFD, even all the way down to ad counts of 0. That way the truck would always be at 100 MFD up to 750rpm when cranking, even if everything else failed.

The good:

Truck cranked IMMEDIATELY this morning. Cranking within a second and cranked extremely firmly and super stable. Turn the key and WAACK.... it's running. Awesome..... a win there...

The Bad:

My 90 MFD cap to keep the truck from ever seeing that 4.5ms at 100 MFD when actually running failed to catch...

I had forgotten all about it and was getting on the interstate. On the 3 lane onramp I was behind a semi, and as we turned onto the ramp from the surface street I stepped out and went around him. As I rolled on and waited for the converter to lock in 2nd everything was cool. Then when I rolled on the power the truck sounded waaaaay different like a glitch or something. Turbo sounded loud, and the trans wouldn't lock in. I immediately lifted, like less than one seond, and then rolled back on after 3rd gear locked in... same deal, loud scream from the turbo and the trans felt like the converter was unlocked, rpm blew straight through. I looked behind me to see where the rest of the cars were just as I was merging into the interstate and IMMEDIATELY saw the problem and remembered the pw table..... because the ENTIRE ONRAMP was BLACK AS NIGHT! This truck runs clean as a whistle at full song otherwise...

OBVIOUSLY my poor PMR and stock trans just saw 4+ms from a 300/200 at 3000+psi. Yowza.... The turbo was probably at 40 to 50lbs for a second if memory serves me from years gone by. Trans had NO chance...

So....

How on earth did the truck see that cell in the pw table at 100 MFD when I had the fuel vs rpm capped at 90 MFD at anything above 800rpm???

Luckily no green fluids have shown up in the floorboard, and no loud noises and rotella went anywhere from under the hood.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
A question along a different line for Cody or anyone. Have you ever found where a PCM does not react consistently to a tune even though they are flashed to the same code TDE1. My stock PCM will shift at a different MPH then my spare ones does on the exact same tune. Caused some fun getting my tunes right for shifting and a while to figure out.

I am also writing this wondering if this might not just be unique to my truck and what if it effected more then just shifting.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I didn't do anything different when I tuned AD's for the first time in this gray truck a while back. Set pulsewidth based on smoke and power.

I honestly don't care if it's split or single. A split shot might as well just be an injector with a small nozzle. Nothing dramatic about the difference.

The main thing with tuning for the first time (IMO) is do NOT sit and spend hours dicking with programs on your desk. Don't make changes that you aren't testing in a running vehicle. Otherwise you'll spend a fortune in time for nothing.

There is no way to figure out what does what without driving down the road each time. Not even close. You'll be 180 out on a million things.

Secondly....

Always bare in mind the conceptual flow of the ford PCM for a 7.3 and don't ever step out of line or you'll just chase your tail to no end.

It goes from your right foot, which is the Mass Fuel Desired map, your right foot (pedal voltage run through an analog to digital converter yielding "Analog to Digital Counts", which are the numbers on the axis opposite rpm). From there you hit the Injection control pressure desired map, which is then based on the MFD value you just set and rpm. From there you get Fuel injector pulsewidth, which is based on the ICP value you just set and the MFD value you set earlier.

That is the order. MFD, ICP, PW. That is the conceptual sequence that gets from your right foot, into the cylinder for a given engine rpm. Start of injection independently decides when all of that times up with the crank.

Everything else works to trim those based on other things, like temperature and pressure.

Beautiful post right there. That's just what I needed to visualize the process/sequence. Thanks!

*Edit*
I need to print out a flow diagram to place just above my monitor, so I don't stray from that thinking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
It's been confirmed. You only have to pull PW to go from split to straight.

Are you doing this just at idle or everywhere? Should be able to cut it everywhere since it is using the fuel more effeciently. That is if you want stock like power.

Latest posts

Members online