tuning and Trans issue

spanky24365

Reaction score
OK please people chime in here cause it seems to me im finding this stuff out after the fact. My truck has 4000 miles on it I been running kem tunes for one week and my tranny, is sloshed. Now I understand mechanical limits but I havent heard of any issues. I run the tunes for a week and I get squalling between shifts and within a day my tranny won't shfit out of thiRd gear if I go manual into 4 5 or 6 the truck doesnt move and I have a wrench on my dash. Now I could understnad this happeNing in a high mileage truck or oNE that has been abused. But my truck has 4000 miles . Please anyone chime in did I get a junk truck

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Sucks for sure, I'm guessing a trip to the dealer will be in order for a diagnosis at a minimum unless you know of someone with knowledge of these transmissions. I'd suggest talking to Morgan about upgrading if the dealer talks about replacement because I wouldn't put another stock deal in there if it may do it again. I'm assuming with all the noise you say it's making that the clutches are toast and you can probably smell it in the fluid. Wish I could help ya out better man.

Keith

black6.7

Reaction score
I had the same exact issues and code being thrown on my 12. Burnt clutch's., tranny ended up being rebuilt.

Reaction score
A non working solenoid is a mechanical issue. Tuning can't make a solenoid quit functioning or "stick". With as many tunes and flashes your truck has, I assume the lack of re-learn between tuning intervals (usually 100 miles or so before fully relearned) was not achieved and transmission damage occurred. You cannot simply load a new tune in and go floor it without concurrent soft shifts, flairs, unlearned parameters can cause damage especially when power levels are near double of factory.

The 6r140 is a far cry from bulletproof. They have issues. If you have a solenoid code it is probably from trash entering the system from a clutch. That in turn makes the solenoid stick.

I hope that it resolves itself. But I am going to be honest and tell you that it doesn't usually work that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
A non working solenoid is a mechanical issue. Tuning can't make a solenoid quit functioning or "stick". With as many tunes and flashes your truck has, I assume the lack of re-learn between tuning intervals (usually 100 miles or so before fully relearned) was not achieved and transmission damage occurred. You cannot simply load a new tune in and go floor it without concurrent soft shifts, flairs, unlearned parameters can cause damage especially when power levels are near double of factory.

The 6r140 is a far cry from bulletproof. They have issues. If you have a solenoid code it is probably from trash entering the system from a clutch. That in turn makes the solenoid stick.

I hope that it resolves itself. But I am going to be honest and tell you that it doesn't usually work that way.

I have about 30 tune changes, never relearned, and I'm sure mine is hurt. wouldn't be the first ! lots of burnouts too ! 100 miles each time, no way.. let it burn !!

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about these transmissions but I was thinking there is no way a solenoid is going to cause a noise like that. I didn't want to misinform if there was some crazy thing I didn't know about with these things. Best way to tell your clutches are burnt which you'd smell it on the dipstick, is to drop the pan. I'm sure there is a pretty good layer of material resting on the bottom. Like I said, I'd get with Morgan about a sturdier built trans. Taking it easy between tune changes and letting the trans learn is a must too. I know when I've switched tunes in the past, I had some crazy shift flairs that scared the $h!t outta me and never got on it too hard until the trans started acting normal for a few miles. Good luck with whatever you decide. I really don't think warranty is going to be an option if the trans is toast.

Keith

higherlife

Reaction score
coming from EFI live tuning and I did all my own tuning for my truck and friends trucks, theoretically you could create a tune that wouldn't allow you to start the truck simply by turning certain tables on and off. Hence i always loved the "valet" tune that i always had on a dsp5 switch, that wouldn't allow the truck to go over 2000 rpm and i'd dropped the hp to stock or below when i would hence valet my truck so i didn't have to worry about it getting dogged.
you could also create enough pressure and heat to crack and bend pistons and rods just by revving the engine to a certain rpm.

BUT what i am getting to is that i do believe that if tuning was causing the issue, that forums would be filled with similar if not exact same problems. 99% of the time it's how you drive. Plain and simple. burnouts, mudding, donuts, WOT yes its all fun and these trucks can handle it to a certain extent. But it won't last very long. Thats why i've been through a dozen+ trucks and i'm in my early twenties and drive like a grandpa on a performance tune.

Reaction score
All I can say is, a solenoid not functioning is a hard part problem. There isn't much that tuning can do to help it.

All you can do is look on the positive side. This allows you to make it better than it was before.

spanky24365

Reaction score
coming from EFI live tuning and I did all my own tuning for my truck and friends trucks, theoretically you could create a tune that wouldn't allow you to start the truck simply by turning certain tables on and off. Hence i always loved the "valet" tune that i always had on a dsp5 switch, that wouldn't allow the truck to go over 2000 rpm and i'd dropped the hp to stock or below when i would hence valet my truck so i didn't have to worry about it getting dogged.
you could also create enough pressure and heat to crack and bend pistons and rods just by revving the engine to a certain rpm.

BUT what i am getting to is that i do believe that if tuning was causing the issue, that forums would be filled with similar if not exact same problems. 99% of the time it's how you drive. Plain and simple. burnouts, mudding, donuts, WOT yes its all fun and these trucks can handle it to a certain extent. But it won't last very long. Thats why i've been through a dozen+ trucks and i'm in my early twenties and drive like a grandpa on a performance tune.

How manu Burnouts donuts mudding wot can be done in one week on a truck with 4000 miles if this is then case ford is losing my business no I don't beat the snot out of my truck and understand completely of mechanical limits but come on

higherlife

Reaction score
How manu Burnouts donuts mudding wot can be done in one week on a truck with 4000 miles if this is then case ford is losing my business no I don't beat the snot out of my truck and understand completely of mechanical limits but come on
Hey man I feel for you. I just got my truck back from the shop today. It's a terrible feeling to blow a tranny. I've been there and done that. Expecially at your millage. I was speaking more in a general terms. But most mechanical problems are found out quickly, expecially if you start to throw more hp at it.

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
It's not just Ford, any brands trans is tested when you almost double the factory power of the engine. Especially when you add the stress of 35" mud tires. And it's not just factory stuff, we drag race and I can on both hands count the number of passes we made on our past 2 598" drag engines. Going fast is hard on parts and it's just part of it. We could damn near have bought a house with the last 2 engines we've built for the race car. Not saying it doesn't suck because it does but it happens. Hope you stick with it man.

Keith

Reaction score

Not going to tell you what to do, but if you try to apply the same hp that your most likely making right now to either a Allison or 68rfe, they will not last any longer. Most likely much less. Like 550 on a stock Allison will slip instantly on command. Not even take near 4000 miles.

Latest posts

Members online