tuning and Trans issue

Captaincworley

Reaction score
Which tune were you running on?I know Kem tunes,But was it the race tune you were using?Im sure that it wouldn't be a good thing to daily drive on a race tune as the shifting is prob set for WOT runs only.If that was the case I'd def retune to a lower tune that was meant for everyday driving the next go around.I bid you well tho and def let us know what the outcome is.

Charles

spanky24365

Reaction score
Which tune were you running on?I know Kem tunes,But was it the race tune you were using?Im sure that it wouldn't be a good thing to daily drive on a race tune as the shifting is prob set for WOT runs only.If that was the case I'd def retune to a lower tune that was meant for everyday driving the next go around.I bid you well tho and def let us know what the outcome is.

Charles
Was running the race tune. Buy let me tell you there was definitely something different about the way the truck was shifting with these tunes vs the other tunes i had the codes throwN prior were over boost codes with the current Tunes no codes but let me tell you there was just something about the gear changes don't know how to explain

Reaction score
These don't have the same Trans as the 11-14?? Please elaborate

Yes they are both 6r 140's. No they are not the exact same. I honestly think that they changed some clutch material, but I can't get verification on that.

Most all the main parts have different part numbers, ie valvebody, pump, converter.... I don't work at ford so I don't know what all of it exactly entails.

I know one thing, I killed my 2011 trans with a stock truck, h&s tuning less than 1000 miles after I got it and the whole truck only had 74k on it then. I built the trans in it. I drove it in my 2011 for a little while. Now It's holding very well sitting in my 2015 lol. The 2015 trans is waiting built to go back in my 2011 when the cab goes back on.

My 15 trans made it maybe 4000 miles once over 500hp. But I also don't drive it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spanky24365

Reaction score
So in short I guess it's safe to say that anyone thinking of doing any sort of tuning better be prepared to.make an investment in a tranny

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The different tunes are set differently. The race tune locks and doesn't unlock during shifts. It's an actual fast shifting performance trans tune. They should shift fast and crisp with a good trans.

I'm going to go ahead and squash this right now.... Midwest diesel, RCD and a lot of other companies have been using KEM. I know both is and RCD have been using them for the last couple years with the x3 now the x4 and 5015 models. Thats hundreds in not thousand plus 6.4's and 11-14 6.7's tuned. Just between a the two of us. Not t mentions the hundreds of 2015 tuners we've already sold between Midwest and RCD. Much less all the other dealers across the country.

So to anyone thinking that it's KEM tunes that did this guys transmission in..... Really? It's had 2-3 other tuners on it before KEM, it was tuned many times from them before while having codes, limping out and driving issues. He gets tunes from me which work and have zero codes. Then has trans issues a few days later and you think the few miles with KEM did it? But not the others? LMFAO. Get real...

My truck stater slipping into 5th and flaring with superchips which was the first performance tune it had on it.... Happened about 200 miles once it was tuned and had a 64mm on it. That was at 540hp. Did I blame it on superchips? No. These 2015's don't have the same trans as the 11-14. They so far are not showing the greatest. At 500+ it's not going to last while daily driving on a race tune. That's why there is lower tunes on the programmer... If you wanna drive on race, don't be mad if you need a trans someday.

Well I can't speak for what others are actually including in their trans for $3500....

We use full raybestos clutches with extra clutches in the necessary packs. Billet drum and shaft modifications. New pump, new cooler, new valvebody and solenoids, new hd converter, all new motorcraft parts other than the upgraded aftermarket ones. No cheap Chinese crap. Comes with a 2 year 100k mile warranty. The trans and converter package is $5575.

http://www.midwestdieselauto.com/store/c31/6R140_Transmission.html

Morgan i didn't say anything about the op's trans. PERIOD. But (we know each other, and you know i dont bull****) Your not squashing **** on my opinion on kem tuning. Sorry. I unloaded tunes that the trans was fine. And loaded kem. Even without relearn, you know when the ***kin tuning isn't right. 1000 miles of relearn isn't fixing this. So they came out. My truck didnt like them.. Fact. Other tunes went back in, and trans was fine again. I dont make anything up for chits, and giggles. But i didnt say anything about *you, midwest, rcd, or the op. So whats the problem?

maxxedout

Reaction score
Just like everything else, there's "good" transmissions and "bad" transmissions. My first trans went at 8,200 miles... At the time the truck was bone stock... Its be been tuned for a while now, and the trans has been pretty decent. We'll see how it holds up to the StreetMax and 2015 HPFP. Gearhead has the trans tuning dialed in, but the 4-5 shift has never been very solid on my truck.

Reaction score
Morgan i didn't say anything about the op's trans. PERIOD. But (we know each other, and you know i dont bull****) Your not squashing **** on my opinion on kem tuning. Sorry. I unloaded tunes that the trans was fine. And loaded kem. Even without relearn, you know when the ***kin tuning isn't right. 1000 miles of relearn isn't fixing this. So they came out. My truck didnt like them.. Fact. Other tunes went back in, and trans was fine again. I dont make anything up for chits, and giggles. But i didnt say anything about *you, midwest, rcd, or the op. So whats the problem?

I'm not saying that your making stuff up Kyle.

What I'm saying is that making the general statement that all KEM tuning is crap based on your truck, isn't fair. You've ran it in plenty customers stuff. So just saying it doesn't work period isn't true.

You don't need to get all upset. I just don't agree with your very one sided stament about KEM tuning. Especially if it is limited on one truck. That it all.

And then Jcain making his statement that there is a "correlation" based on your statement is pretty general too.

What I'm "squashing" is some people perpetuating that one persons trans failure was KEM tune related. Especially that ran a bunch of other tuning that was never right. Then after loading the last current tune now has an issue after a fraction of the miles on it. His trans obviously had issues. If it was tuning then all the other 100's of KEM tuned 2015's would have sh*t transmissions in a few days as well. We know that's not true.

So let's not start some sh*t fest "my tuners better than your tuner" out of this. That was my whole point. It was not aimed at calling you or jcain out. Just making sure that it doesn't get perpetuated and spread about it being a tuning problem related to one company.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Really the only way to make them live at higher hp is to add more torque reduction between shifts or "defuels" back closer to stock style shifting. That way people can have bigger power and make it a "soft shift" so that the clutches don't take as much abuse. But it will make the truck slower and feel like the shifts take longer.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

What I'm saying is that making the general statement that all KEM tuning is crap based on your truck, isn't fair. You've ran it in plenty customers stuff. So just saying it doesn't work period isn't true.

You don't need to get all upset. I just don't agree with your very one sided stament about KEM tuning. Especially if it is limited on one truck. That it all.

And then Jcain making his statement that there is a "correlation" based on your statement is pretty general too.

What I'm "squashing" is some people perpetuating that one persons trans failure was KEM tune related. Especially that ran a bunch of other tuning that was never right. Then after loading the last current tune now has an issue after a fraction of the miles on it. His trans obviously had issues. If it was tuning then all the other 100's of KEM tuned 2015's would have sh*t transmissions in a few days as well. We know that's not true.

So let's not start some sh*t fest "my tuners better than your tuner" out of this. That was my whole point. It was not aimed at calling you or jcain out. Just making sure that it doesn't get perpetuated and spread about it being a tuning problem related to one company.

Morgan, and for the record my opinion of kem tuning is NOT based on only one truck. I am not narrow minded to assemble such an opinion based on very limited experience.

I should have resisted posting but whats done is done. I'm fine with it.

higherlife

Reaction score
Defueling is common with major manufacturers like edge and banks when adding more hp to a truck. It's usually an option to turn it on or off.
And you can add hp and defuel to safe levels and it will still be faster than stock.
What are the HP gains for the tunes that are being sent out?
It might be stated already but I haven't seen it in this thread what the actual "performance tune" hp gains are suppose to be. 100?

Reaction score
Morgan, and for the record my opinion of kem tuning is NOT based on only one truck. I am not narrow minded to assemble such an opinion based on very limited experience.

I should have resisted posting but whats done is done. I'm fine with it.

It doesn't matter. I'm not defending what people have experienced in the past. Or on other platforms.

Just don't want to base past experience on what's happening here. I have a lot of very happy customers and that's what matters. If there is an issue that needs addressed I will make sure those changes get made and keep going forward perfecting tunes. I've invested a lot of time personally into the 2015 tuning and helping, along with others into making it IMO the best off the shelf 2015 tuning available currently.

Reaction score
Defueling is common with major manufacturers like edge and banks when adding more hp to a truck. It's usually an option to turn it on or off.
And you can add hp and defuel to safe levels and it will still be faster than stock.
What are the HP gains for the tunes that are being sent out?
It might be stated already but I haven't seen it in this thread what the actual "performance tune" hp gains are suppose to be. 100?

Stock tends to dyno around 370-380

Tuner on "race" with just a delete pipe 520-530

All relative to the dyno.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. I'm not defending what people have experienced in the past. Or on other platforms.

Just don't want to base past experience on what's happening here. I have a lot of very happy customers and that's what matters. If there is an issue that needs addressed I will make sure those changes get made and keep going forward perfecting tunes. I've invested a lot of time personally into the 2015 tuning and helping, along with others into making it IMO the best off the shelf 2015 tuning available currently.

I hear ya:toast:

jcain

Reaction score

Interesting stance considering you tried to vilify Gearhead tuning over in this thread after a similar situation, but engine related. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56705&page=2

And I don't bet money on coincidences.

spanky24365

Reaction score
Not looking to start a battle here but it seems that Morgan is all about self promoting . I inquired about the built Trans that he offers asking about warranty and hp levels. I was told in order for it it be warranties I have to use his/kem tunes and that there is no hp rating if I put more to it then it can handle it would be fixed. why would anyone want to limit themselves on their tuning options and also not know what the capabilites are of it holding up. I for one would be looking for an upgrade that I know will handle what I putting to it not just throw it on hope it holds and it if it doesnt it will get repaire.the whole point is for peace of mind. Does this seem a little odd to anyone else. There are other trans out there that tell you what their limit is and you can use wharevert tuning you want. Why would anyone want to limited in their options

Spatel23

Reaction score
Not looking to start a battle here but it seems that Morgan is all about self promoting . I inquired about the built Trans that he offers asking about warranty and hp levels. I was told in order for it it be warranties I have to use his/kem tunes and that there is no hp rating if I put more to it then it can handle it would be fixed. why would anyone want to limit themselves on their tuning options and also not know what the capabilites are of it holding up. I for one would be looking for an upgrade that I know will handle what I putting to it not just throw it on hope it holds and it if it doesnt it will get repaire.the whole point is for peace of mind. Does this seem a little odd to anyone else. There are other trans out there that tell you what their limit is and you can use wharevert tuning you want. Why would anyone want to limited in their options

I'm not sure how warranting a trans under the condition of running a specific tuner or tunes qualifies as "self promoting".

A tune CAN (and has on many occasions) destroy any built trans no matter the level it is "built" to.

Furthermore.....just a few days ago, you were all praises about Morgan AND his tunes.
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59571

I have no dog in this fight and I could careless, I just find your statements confusing. Maybe I'm missing something??

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.