Tuning the 7.3 in current times

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Didn’t they use what forged rods they had left in the last 03 engines?

Addicted4

Reaction score
Just pick a tuner for stock injectors I don’t think it matters much at 300rwhp levels. Trans shifting will be about the main difference along with pedal sensitivity. Skip the turbo on stock fuel as well the money could be used towards regulated return, in-tank mods, post filter, u fixing up pipes, valve body etc..

I to run ts chips just cause I had one but the standard is hydra plus the ease of emailing revisions or when modifications are made that need tuning adjustments.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I've got a 96 engine that I bought 10 years ago still untouched. That's how long ago I thought about blowing my PMRs...

Still good to go.. Lmao

dsberman94

Reaction score
My PMR motor was fine when I took it out. Should have sold it but what I had covering it leaked and she got full of water.

RascalMafia

#hashtag
Super Mod
Reaction score
What was the thought previously with tuning and the PMRs? Too much timing / cyl psi down low would kick a rod instead of a headgasket?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JoeDiesle

Reaction score
I have a sept 01 build date... came will forged rods. With tuning.. keep timing in check and make TQ higher in the rpm range, will help keep the pmr's in the block.

joebuck

Reaction score
What was the thought previously with tuning and the PMRs? Too much timing / cyl psi down low would kick a rod instead of a headgasket?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ya the previous thought(some experienced) was to much timing down low with PMR rods and a heavy foot you would window your block, forged rods seem to not have this problem, I know there is a spot you can look through on your motor and if you see a nut on a bolt you have “X” rods and if you see the head of a bolt you have “Y” rods, not sure anymore which is which or where to find that “window” to see in there but I remember there is a ton of threads and YouTube videos on it that shows it.

I haven’t been around the 7.3l tuning world in a long time but I used to run SDK and 1023 tuning back in 2015ish when I had my 7.3 and they were great tunes especially paired with a hydra.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I've seen/heard of them let go regardless of tuning/stock sticks.

79jasper

Reaction score
Yep, seems many let go on stock injectors.
It's not like the early ones that had itsy bitsy baby injectors.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

mcnance865

Reaction score
Few things:

-- PMR rods started in 2001, but there are quite a bit of 2001's that came w/ forged. There are probably a handful of 2000's with PMR as they did a test run. All 94.5 - 99 are forged rods and the vast majority of 2000's are forged rods also.

-- The PMR issue is mainly cylinder pressure and dumping too much fuel and/or too much timing too low in the rpm curve. This issue has been figured out by all the tuners I listed earlier. Notice that DP was not on that list...

-- If staying with stock injectors up to AC code 160/0, then just do a KC Balanced Assembly for the turbo. It should work great. I would recommend the 160/0 AC codes anyways as they are a "stock" injector for the high output T444e, so you can buy them at any International Dealer. This with hydra tunes will make a world of difference and will still be safe on PMR's.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Gotta tell you guys, all the love for the hydra, I am disappointed. I think I need custom tunes.

I have an old banks towing chip. It is only like 50hp. Maybe less, but it is the nicest driving, shifting program I have ever driven.

Even on my 180/0 injectors I would enjoy going back to that chip. Still struggle to find the right program and I have bought a bunch of them for the hydra.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I am still running a ts6. But, I do my own tuning.

I will be switching to a 256k chip so the tunes I right useing the quarter horse can be programmed to chip. The quarter horse is 256k, the ts6 is 140k I believe.

The hydro and dp-tuner f6 are both 256k.

I can convert 140k to 256k and vise versa. But I noticed when Indo that the files change a little.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Gotta tell you guys, all the love for the hydra, I am disappointed. I think I need custom tunes.

I have an old banks towing chip. It is only like 50hp. Maybe less, but it is the nicest driving, shifting program I have ever driven.

Even on my 180/0 injectors I would enjoy going back to that chip. Still struggle to find the right program and I have bought a bunch of them for the hydra.

Banks is good for blowing trannys. That’s about it.

Latest posts

Members online